170 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I mean, they're the in-house media for the league.  They're not going to say, "eh, beyond the top 3 players in the draft, you're not going to find anyone worthwhile.  Tune in!"

A few years ago Bruce Arena was making fun of the guys who dump all these hours into mock drafts, basically saying they put more work into that stuff than the teams do.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I mean, they're the in-house media for the league.  They're not going to say, "eh, beyond the top 3 players in the draft, you're not going to find anyone worthwhile.  Tune in!"

I get it... but they act like who ever is drafted is going to be a starter.

They should focus more on their potential. Use data from combine snd compare it to good players who went through draft

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I get it... but they act like who ever is drafted is going to be a starter.

They should focus more on their potential. Use data from combine snd compare it to good players who went through draft

Same for every draft basically... Sites and networks do the same thing for the NFL where they compare every prospect to current NFL players.  Yet in that league, at least 1/3 of the first round are going to be nothing players.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
So according to ives big board... a lot of the better players seem to be defenders

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts
Not very interested in the draft. Low pick + more interested in siging home grown defenders. Wonder what's happening with that?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Not very interested in the draft. Low pick + more interested in siging home grown defenders. Wonder what's happening with that?

Agree, usually aroind mlk day we start to hear abt rumors. I feel like a lot of HG players are signed around that time period and many euro and south american players start to pay attention to MLS as an option

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

drafting CBs and outside backs is what Curtis will do as long as we have picks. minimal cost, and if they guy(s) stick, they'll either get minutes with RB2 or be in the gameday 18. essentially bilyeu and carroll's yr from last season. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Draft a big CB and a fast RB and I would be pleased

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Defenders that may sign (already signed) a HGP:
Andrew Lombard, Marcelo Borges, Mason Deeds and Noah Powder (depending on his France stop). Kevin O'Toole played well with the USL guys too.

Would love to have Eric Klenofsky drafted but silly with Robles, Meara and Diaz with the first team. Plus, he won't drop to #17.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

What was/who is the last draft pick that became a DP from us? Has that ever happened? What about the league?

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
Maybe besler or zusi?

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

In my opinion, you draft best player available, regardless of position.

It's really tough to get guys who turn out to be MLS quality from the draft, so you can't limit yourself even more by drafting need.  Perfect world it's a right back or a CB, but I really don't care as long as the player turns out good.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

What was/who is the last draft pick that became a DP from us? Has that ever happened? What about the league?

Jozy, Bradley... Howard wasn't drafted

For the rest of the league... Fred Adu, Wondo, Beckerman (Fusion dispersal draft), Besler, Dempsey, Edu, Omar Gonzalez, Eddie Johnson, Kamara, Zusi... anyone else?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Jozy, Bradley... Howard wasn't drafted

For the rest of the league... Fred Adu, Wondo, Beckerman (Fusion dispersal draft), Besler, Dempsey, Edu, Omar Gonzalez, Eddie Johnson, Kamara, Zusi... anyone else?

So these guys are mostly all old/older. Which either means quality in the draft has dropped or the good ones who were drafted haven't grown up enough yet. Were they "known" commodities at the time? All household names now, just curious as to whether or not their DP status comes as a surprise compared to their expectations at the time of the draft.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

So these guys are mostly all old/older. Which either means quality in the draft has dropped or the good ones who were drafted haven't grown up enough yet. Were they "known" commodities at the time? All household names now, just curious as to whether or not their DP status comes as a surprise compared to their expectations at the time of the draft.

Draft players who do well are stuck with a low wage for atleast 3 seasons.

If they have good seasons they are either sold to europe like Ream, leave on a free transfer like perry kitchen or receive DP tag like Besler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users