35 replies to this topic

#1 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

What can we do as a Section 8 Chicago to help ourselves reach this goal? I want opinions and actions everyone.

http://www.bigsoccer...ad.php?t=419851

Originally Posted by Don Garber

Our relationship with the hard core soccer fan is important. We value your opinions and hope to expand the number of people that are truly passionate and committed to MLS and our teams. Last week, while attending the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup final in Toyota Park, I commented to Chicago Fire GM John Guppy that it would be great if his Section 8 Supporters Club was double or triple the current size. Imagine what the in-stadium experience would be for all fans if our Supporters Clubs represented a much larger percentage of our total audience! To achieve that, we need your help. Take a friend to an MLS game and show them first hand the unique experience of being part of your Supporter’s Club and how. Take them to a local “soccer pub” to watch an MLS game. Most importantly, share with them the passion of the “beautiful game.”

This process can start at next month’s MLS Cup. Why not take a group of hard core soccer fans to Pizza Hut Park on November 12 and be a part of the exciting festivities surrounding our Championship Game? Once again, I’ll be meeting with our fans at the annual Supporter’s Summit on Saturday, November 11 at Pizza Hut Park. It will be an informal meeting where you can ask any question that is on your mind. I believe we are the only pro sports league that provides our most ardent fans this opportunity. It’s a great chance to start an annual tradition of attending our final and having a few hours to chat with League senior management about whatever is on your mind. I hope to see you there and look forward to meeting with you in person. Tickets went on sale to the public earlier this week, and we anticipate a sellout well in advance of MLS Cup on November 12.

Don Garber

Commissioner

#2 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:02 PM

What can we do as a Section 8 Chicago to help ourselves reach this goal? I want opinions and actions everyone.

http://www.bigsoccer...ad.php?t=419851

In chicago they need to lower the price of supporters section to $15 or below. And then enforce only supporters being in those sections as well. Cheap tickets are a must.

#3 Es Brennt

Es Brennt

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

Smart ass quip:

Didn't realize we were GUPPY'S Section 8 Supporters Club. :rolleyes:

Actual post:

1. Have a handful of people move into sections 117 and 119. We fill 118 pretty well, and I think it would help get folks in 117 and 119 on their feet and joining in. It seems like much of those sections are already following along. Crowds are funny, nobody wants to be the first one standing.

2. I know it's been tried before, with mixed result and mixed reception, but maybe song sheet/section info fliers made up to pass out at games. Shit even just posted strategically if not passed out en mass.

3. How about a run of stickers touting the S8c web site to be distributed free with a parking lot scarf purchase.

4. Perhaps something on said website front page encouraging new folks to join in, that you don't have to belong to an established supporters group, club, or clique to take part in section 8. I know there is the join section 8 button, but maybe a welcoming one line statement on the front page would be nice.

5. Never ever chant stupid shit like Mow My Lawn, I-N-S, or songs about deporting people while you are supporting and representing the Fire, no matter who we are playing against.

Just a couple quick ideas.
I like the fact that Garber is thinking like that and this thread is a good idea.
www.theredcardna.org

#4 Marcin

Marcin

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

I agree on the lowered ticket price. We need to write the letter I proposed as soon as possible.

#5 mdale10

mdale10

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, USA, Man Utd

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:05 PM

Yeah I think section 8 should start using 117 and that would include more people cuase of the ppl that already sit there and then eventually once section 8 gets big enough expand 116 and 119 then sec 8 would be huge and amazing.

And lower ticket prices would probably help a lot too.

#6 S.Webster

S.Webster

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:23 PM

Ticket prices --------> $15.

#7 ciudadcentral

ciudadcentral

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:44 PM

Here's an idea:
produce a video to be played on the jumbotron before the games, with a "Section 8 Orientation"
Perhaps have some players or famous Chicagoans do the "LO lo lo lo lo LO - Fi-re!" chant.

I recall a Jimmy Buffet concert a few years ago, where he got some well-known Chicago Parrotheads to sing a few verses of "Cheesburger" to be played on the jumbotron at the concert ... it got the crowd realizing that there were alot of famous locals who loved Buffet.

Have at it FO ... no charge.

#8 chileno18

chileno18

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Interests:futbol<br /><br />MY CLUBS:<br />*Chicago Fire <br />*River Plate<br />*Univ. Catolica<br />*Villareal CF
  • Supports:FIRE, River, U.Catolica, CHILE

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:28 PM

In chicago they need to lower the price of supporters section to $15 or below. And then enforce only supporters being in those sections as well. Cheap tickets are a must.

AGREED 100%

SECTION 8 TIX = $15 or less.

#9 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts
  • Supports:Chicago

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:38 AM

Yeah I think section 8 should start using 117

we already are using 117 and have since the start of the year. we need to work harder to spread people into that section to get both to stand on a regular basis, however.

PS: Garber can suck my cock.

#10 WolfmanHasNards!

WolfmanHasNards!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:59 AM

I don't mind paying $20 for a Fire ticket. That's a steal in my opinion. That's the price of nosebleed seats to watch other pro teams in Chicago. In fact the only deal I've found better is the $8 Pepsi Fan Deck at Comerica. Nice view of the game and an awesome experience. Low tickets are always nice but how low should a league not making money go?

#11 creativedestruction

creativedestruction

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:17 AM

low enough to actually fill seats to the point where the increased revenue from the additional sales offsets the reduced revenue of the lower ticket price

Here's some simple math (for illustrative purposes only):
reduce all tickets $5, assume normal attendence is 13,000 and that the lower price brings in an additional 4000 and assume that those are evenly split among the two lowest ticket categories

2000 x $20 = $40,000
2000 x $15 = $30,000
Total new revenue = $70,000
Minus lost revenue - $65,000

Net gain = $5000

It's not much new revenue, but you've increased the attendence by 4000. Many of those would be in section 8 and hopefully most would join in the singing and chanting. That provides more atmosphere and would lead to the all-important repeat sales. Again, these are illustrative and there is not guarantee that lowering price by $5 would bring in 4000 people, especially not right away. In fact, based on the 13,000 starting figure, attendence at the lower prices would have to increase by at least 3700 in order to offset the losses.

Of course, they don't have to lower all ticket prices. They could just lower the Firehouse (including Section 8) to $15 so that they keep their $10 tier difference for all tiers ($45, $35, $25, $15). They also need to increase the benefits of being a season ticket holder.

#12 mdale10

mdale10

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, USA, Man Utd

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

Look at the ticket prices for toronto, why cant are supporter tickets be that low?
Toronto FC announce season seat prices

#13 peter wilt

peter wilt

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

Look at the ticket prices for toronto, why cant are supporter tickets be that low?
Toronto FC announce season seat prices

and those are Canadian dollars! :)

Lowering tix $5 each unfortunately would not increase sales by 4,000. As David suggested however, you would likely only need to lower them in the two lowest price tiers, because those are the price sensitive fans anyway.

Also, you didn't calculate the additional per caps that would be gained in ancillary revenues from any increase in traffic.

Long way of saying, i think they should drop prices in two lowest price categories by $5 and market the hell out of the south end to corporate and youth soccer groups. The stage area, suites and 600 seats should be packaged into groups of 200, 300 or 600, include 2, 3 or 6 suites and use of the stage area for a packaged price. That should be packed every game.

#14 Es Brennt

Es Brennt

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

While cheaper tickets would be nice, and I know it would be easier to sell to people at 15 bucks, I personally don't really mind 20 bucks. Are you suggesting that only the designated S8C section be dropped to 15, or the whole Firehouse section?
As far as enforcing supporters only, I disagree 100%. How would that help build section 8's numbers? Our general admission set up now is pretty damn cool, and pretty rare in pro sports. It's one of the best things about having our own stadium this year. Getting hassled about your ticket doesn't make you want to join in. I remember people who wanted to stand in sec8 at SF being turned away. Being GA, anybody with a cheap ticket can walk in, try out the S8C experience and decide if they like standing and cheering or not. Having to buy a special Supporters Ticket before you even enter the game in order to be able to join in just doesn't seem like a way to make the section larger.
www.theredcardna.org

#15 *L97KID*

*L97KID*

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Fire, Poker
  • Supports:Chicago Fire/Tottenham Hotspur

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:41 PM

Here's an idea:
produce a video to be played on the jumbotron before the games, with a "Section 8 Orientation"
Perhaps have some players or famous Chicagoans do the "LO lo lo lo lo LO - Fi-re!" chant.

This isn't baseball

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users