111 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I didn't hear any excuses from him.  He just said what everyone once else has said and thought.   

"The aggregate and stuff like that is tough"
"You look at the system and the way the league is set up, and its not easy to be successful. "

Sounds like excuses to me. Yeah, the aggregate of losing 3 to 1 makes it tough to win a series indeed.

It's not the format. It's us being terrible in the 1st game and significantly worse over two legs and deservedly going out.

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

We will fuck it up next year, as well.  

Keep the new formats coming, I say.  There's not a one we can't handle, by god.

Perhaps, we should just opt-out of the MLS Cup playoffs by Audi or Heineken or Continental Tire by virtue of some mercy rule. 

Or be opted out by the league -- stiff punishment for stiff failure.  2 years no playoffs or something.  

After serving time, then the team can get back to shitting the bed and idiot fans to throwing a) gloves on 30 degree nights and b) $12 beers. 

Actually, let's do none of this.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Guarantee that we'll have a worse regular season next year and players/coach/posters here will all complain that the format is skewed against us.

Hate the excuses from Tyler there.

the format is always skewed against us because we are Metro.

Not excuses just what we are all saying. 

Talking on the topic doesn't change them not getting it done. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We have no idea what Tyler was asked to prompt that comment do we? If he's asked about the format and says this, its not making excuses. If he was asked why we lost and this was what he had then yeah that's a little weak.

puhe

puhe

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Supports:metro

If we can't score a goal against a committed organized defense it won't matter much!

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts
  • Interests:Football and Football, heading to the beach and the lake. Spending time with fam at parties and reading existentialism philosophy oh yeah cant forget anime. Oh yea and MiLo is pronounced Mee-Low, its short for Camilo.

IDK that there is any format favorable to us.

i think single game playoffs are the best way to go because then it makes finishing higher actually mattering..

I'll even add that I think the supporters shield winner should even get the benefit of winning the series if there's a tie in single game playoffs up until MLS Cup Finals

No format benefits any more than others..
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I can definitely see the benefit of having a one home game and not having to play on the road, but one game just seems too little to decide team's fate after 34 game season. Someone can defend all game and beat you on PKs even on the road. At least over two game series we have today a better team has more opportunities to pull ahead, which makes it more fair and less up to chance. 34 game regular season and 1 game play-offs in a game like soccer where it is very hard to score and there are a lot of low scoring draws (unlike other major US sports) feels unbalanced. If anything, 3 game series would be better (until 4 points, not 5). More meaningful (play-off) games.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts
  • Interests:Football and Football, heading to the beach and the lake. Spending time with fam at parties and reading existentialism philosophy oh yeah cant forget anime. Oh yea and MiLo is pronounced Mee-Low, its short for Camilo.

I can definitely see the benefit of having a one home game and not having to play on the road, but one game just seems too little to decide team's fate after 34 game season. Someone can defend all game and beat you on PKs even on the road. At least over two game series we have today a better team has more opportunities to pull ahead, which makes it more fair and less up to chance. 34 game regular season and 1 game play-offs in a game like soccer where it is very hard to score and there are a lot of low scoring draws (unlike other major US sports) feels unbalanced. If anything, 3 game series would be better (until 4 points, not 5). More meaningful (play-off) games.

see that's where I disagree cuz it's 34 games or matches or how you can call it...

I personally hate the idea of playoffs

34 tries, Week in week out to get better..

I find it a slap in the face to the team that has the best season, consistently winning, that's special and should be rewarded playoffs sully that. Why try hard in the regular season if you just get another chance when the playoffs come.

I definitely think single game playoffs has to be the way if you even have stupid playoffs.. Everyone has already played each other why have playoffs... Now if everyone didn't get to play every other team then playoffs make sense.

But play off is a second chance, how many chances does a team need?!?! Eventually the crappie team will get a lucky win or a bs call to win a match and that's how a champion is decided?!?! So after sucking for 34 weeks but suddenly get a lucky call and the series is decided that's fair.. It's not and it's ridiculous and has happened many times already in this league and this time it was NYRB..

Either single game playoffs with Supporters Shield winner advance each round with just a tie and higher seeded teams hosting matches or DO AWAY WITH PLAYOFFS PLEASE....

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

That is why, if MLS moves to single game playoff elimination format, they should move away from OT and/or PK. Let the games be 90 mins format. If teams are tied, higher seed goes thru. That way you reward Regular Season standings.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

That is why, if MLS moves to single game playoff elimination format, they should move away from OT and/or PK. Let the games be 90 mins format. If teams are tied, higher seed goes thru. That way you reward Regular Season standings.

This is absolutely a must

Single game elimination, 90 mins, tie breaker is regular season standings.

Or just do away with playoffs... And to quench the obsession with playoffs have the latter rounds USOC be cramed into November and December ending the week before the season ends

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, USMNT

I totally disagree with this. If the league moves to single-elimination playoffs you have to have the game end with a victor. Otherwise you are just encouraging the higher seed to play for the draw (what are we, Italy?).  Higher seeds will already have home field advantage, so I don't see how you give an 'extra reward' to the Shield winner.  I'm sure other incentives can be found to increase the Shield's value.  I think of the regular season like the group stage of the World Cup, and the playoffs would be the knockout rounds. If single-elimination is good enough to crown the world champion, it's good enough for MLS.

The US is sold on playoffs, so we'll always have them.  I don't mind two leg playoffs but I would get rid of the away goals advantage.  Currently, the lower seed has the advantage in getting to start the series at home where, if they keep the higher seed off the score sheet, they assume the advantage in the second leg with the ability to score away goals.  They also have to avoid the international break.  Everything I just raised burned the Red Bulls this year.  Go to Columbus 1st leg and don't score an away goal.  Two week break disrupted the team's momentum and took several players away from training for international duty.  Adams and Long playing 90 minutes mid-week before leg 1 against Atlanta!  Go to Atlanta and again fail to score an away goal.  Every supposed advantage worked against us, and our reward for having so many international caliber players is that we lost them and overworked them at precisely the worst time.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
Agree either 3 game first to 4 ideally better but less practical or 1 game at higher seed 90 min only higher seed goes thru with tie.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Supports:Metro
The invention of the playoffs was the dumbest and most blatant cash grab in the history of life. I remember back in 2000 or so the Seattle Mariners won something stupid like 120 games and then flamed out in the first round. No reward for a spectacular season. DUMB.

But yeah, theyre never going away so...

There is literally ZERO way to fool proof the playoffs. Even if you give the shield winner a golden ticket straight to the final which they host and even give them a 1 goal lead to start the game something crazy can happen in a few weeks time like having 2-3 star players go down with injuries. In fact, thats EXACTLY what would happen to us in this make believe format!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,237 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

If single-elimination is good enough to crown the world champion, it's good enough for MLS.

As if FIFA could host a league competition with 16 to 32 teams in a month!
Why not just cancel the regular season? Straight to the knock-out phase! 🙄

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Agree either 3 game first to 4 ideally better but less practical or 1 game at higher seed 90 min only higher seed goes thru with tie.

Neither of these options is ever happening, it's a waste of bandwidth to even discuss them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users