104 replies to this topic

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

We barely squeak into the playoffs and lose in the first tourney game.

as of right now this is the correct answer

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

So, where do you see us finishing?

I think we will make the playoffs if we have to rely on buckmaster and duncan as wingbacks.

We could finish higher if egbo and tolkin turn out to be good mls players.

1-2 Philly n ne will fight for this position.
3,4,5 will be a toss up between nycfc, nyrb and atl.
6 will be cow
7 orl

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

dunno why ppl think Chicago will do well. i think DC and NE should be a spot or two higher up. bottom 3 looks accurate. i think ATL lost a bit, personnel-wise and am surprised they're in 1st. 

Because Chicago vastly underperformed xG last season, to a degree they aren't likely to again. They were the second-BEST team in the league in expected goal differential behind LAFC.

Even if you think xG is bullshit, they had a goal differential of +8, tied for 3rd-best in the East and 5th in the league. It's statistically weird that they didn't make the playoffs last season.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Because Chicago vastly underperformed xG last season, to a degree they aren't likely to again. They were the second-BEST team in the league in expected goal differential behind LAFC.

Even if you think xG is bullshit, they had a goal differential of +8, tied for 3rd-best in the East and 5th in the league. It's statistically weird that they didn't make the playoffs last season.

Chicago brought in a lot of new guys. Cant rely on last years stats. Plus, not impressed with their new guys or new coach.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Chicago brought in a lot of new guys. Cant rely on last years stats. Plus, not impressed with their new guys or new coach.

Not disagreeing, but for 538 in particular, they rely heavily on xG in the previous season in lieu of statistics from 2020.

I don't see things going well for them. Wicky, in particular, seemed out of his depth with the U17s. I have a hard time imagining that he's going to do a good job in MLS.

Edit: I made this post as they were announcing the signing of a $3.3 million-rated, 19-year-old Argentine winger. Lol we're getting lapped by the fucking FIRE in ambition.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think we will make the playoffs if we have to rely on buckmaster and duncan as wingbacks...

No confidence in our big signings, JRR Tolkin or Ryan Seagrist?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I think we will make the playoffs if we have to rely on buckmaster and duncan as wingbacks.

We could finish higher if egbo and tolkin turn out to be good mls players.

1-2 Philly n ne will fight for this position.
3,4,5 will be a toss up between nycfc, nyrb and atl.
6 will be cow
7 orl

I saw Tolkien a bit last year with RBII. He wasnt an automatic starter at that level and looked physically weak. Id be shocked if he got important minutes with the first team this season. Id expect that the vast majority of his minutes are with RBII this season. I also hope they move him back to CM because I think hes talented.

Do you really not have faith in a guy who was a complete bust in Bungdeliga 2???

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

wow

0t1jl5uxfxh41.jpg

makes for painful reading

really wish we had any media to ask coach and gm about this..

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

wow

0t1jl5uxfxh41.jpg

If asked anything about this, Im sure theyd just point to 2015 when most of the prognosticators had us in a similar position going into the season only for us to end up with the Shield. We had a significantly better coach and GM in 2015 though.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

I saw Tolkien a bit last year with RBII. He wasnt an automatic starter at that level and looked physically weak. Id be shocked if he got important minutes with the first team this season. Id expect that the vast majority of his minutes are with RBII this season. I also hope they move him back to CM because I think hes talented.

Do you really not have faith in a guy who was a complete bust in Bungdeliga 2???

I am hoping for the best. He does have a good background as an eng youth international and that team did well in youth tournaments but i never saw him play.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

wow

0t1jl5uxfxh41.jpg

Last time MLS guru's predicted rbny to do this bad, rbny won the supporter shield.

I also dont see how tor will finish that high without bradley. He is not going to be game shape until sept or oct. Their depth is terrible and jozy hasnt played a full season in years.

It just seems like they went with hype instead of looking at rosters

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Last time MLS guru's predicted rbny to do this bad, rbny won the supporter shield.

reference?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

All these guys making predictions just don't get that it's not the players...... it's the System! :wacko:

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

reference?

Your a smart guy and i am sure you know how to use Google. See how many experts predicted rbny was going to make the playoffs in 2015.

The answer was 0.

What happened?
Supporter shield winners.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Your a smart guy and i am sure you know how to use Google. See how many experts predicted rbny was going to make the playoffs in 2015.

The answer was 0.

What happened?
Supporter shield winners.

Sure, anything can happen. But, an exception doesnt make a rule. Marsch and Curtis were virtual unknowns who ended up being great for us. Armas & Hamlett are known and... not great. That being said, I appreciate your optimism and certainly hope youre correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users