23 replies to this topic

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

BBC and The Guardian reporting that New York is putting in a bid for a team to play in the British Rugby League (It would be the second overseas team - Toronto has already started play). They would play at RBA.

http://www.bbc.com/s...league/41631148

https://www.theguard...eague-1-toronto

What do you guys think? My only concern would be the use of the field. As long as the field stays in good condition and there aren't Rugby lines on the field. I think it could help get more people into RBA and possibly come back for soccer games. Also it could be a plus to have another NY team play in the arena IMO. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I'd definitely check out some games and maybe even get season tickets depending on the prices and schedule.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Would love to watch rugby in person. Wonder if they'll have enough interest, though. Presume there won't be issues with rugby lines, but pitch quality may suffer over time.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

the article claims it's two "unnamed investors"...i wonder if one of the investors is Dietrich? RB does not have a rugby team yet...maybe they want to test the waters and also bring rugby to the US.  

If it happens, I hope that season ticket holders can get some free tickets to the rugby games. I've only ever watched it on TV and it seems pretty fun to watch. 

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Toronto's team plays in a 9,600 seater with artificial turf

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Not all that knowledgeable on rugby but doesn't it seem like a sport that really takes a toll on the grass?

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Played rugby in college. Our field was an utter disaster afterwards, especially if it rained.

The field looked strange with the lines painted over after the Nestle Cup. Rugby lines every week won't help.

As a fan of rugby, I'd love to see it and would go quite often. Just wish it were a different stadium.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

There's no actual league or regular schedule of games being proposed.    Some small number of exhibition games that can be scheduled around our games so the grass can properly recover.   We've had rugby played here before with no memorable ill effects, IIRC

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC

looks like the league runs fall thru spring with approx 20 home games.

Does seem to be a history of Rugby (both codes) sharing with football (soccer) teams. http://www.coventryt...ng-work-7801739

As long as the pitch can be preserved and no Rugby markings, getting more people to RBA can only be good.

Unsure how much say RBNY have over stadium use. Do they have a veto (say after the initial year of rugby play)  if its not working for them?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Rugby, like American football, is tough on a grass surface.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

I think when most Americans think of rugby, this is not what they're thinking of.

The proposed team is Rugby League, whereas most Americans who play the sport play Rugby Union.

Rugby League was originally developed in a dispute over paying the players, (Union remained strictly amateur until the 1990s or so,) and over the years various rules were adopted to make it more 'spectator friendly.'  There are 6 'downs' and after a tackle play is restarted by kicking the ball backwards

IMO they were not successful, I've caught it a few times on TV, it's a lot less interesting, though the players and the hits are bigger. 

I played rugby (union) in high school, but that was more than 20 years ago (so I'm not hyperpartisan about it.)

It's fairly popular in Australia, where its league broadcasts are among the top shows, and in Northern England, but that's about it.

Rugby Union, which vastly outranks League as a participation sport, draws pitiful US ratings and attendance.  I have a hard time seeing how, absent a large Australian and/or Yorkshire/Lancashire expat community, Rugby League manages much of a crowd.  There's also Pro/Rel, so we may be talking about 2nd division of an obscure regional code of world football.

The importance of the scrum is greatly reduced in Rugby League, so I'd guess its not quite as hard on the pitch, but there are a lot more field markings, it looks pretty much like a gridiron.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Rugby League ... a lot less interesting ...

There are a few people on this board who might disagree with you.

It's fairly popular in Australia ... and in Northern England, but that's about it.

AFAIK, rugby is played more in Eastern Australia, while Aussie rules football dominates the south and west. Its only been in recent years, that top level clubs have moved or expanded out of their core areas of support.
https://en.m.wikiped...ki/Barassi_Line

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think when most Americans think of rugby, this is not what they're thinking of.

The proposed team is Rugby League, whereas most Americans who play the sport play Rugby Union.

Rugby League was originally developed in a dispute over paying the players, (Union remained strictly amateur until the 1990s or so,) and over the years various rules were adopted to make it more 'spectator friendly.'  There are 6 'downs' and after a tackle play is restarted by kicking the ball backwards

IMO they were not successful, I've caught it a few times on TV, it's a lot less interesting, though the players and the hits are bigger. 

I played rugby (union) in high school, but that was more than 20 years ago (so I'm not hyperpartisan about it.)

It's fairly popular in Australia, where its league broadcasts are among the top shows, and in Northern England, but that's about it.

Rugby Union, which vastly outranks League as a participation sport, draws pitiful US ratings and attendance.  I have a hard time seeing how, absent a large Australian and/or Yorkshire/Lancashire expat community, Rugby League manages much of a crowd.  There's also Pro/Rel, so we may be talking about 2nd division of an obscure regional code of world football.

The importance of the scrum is greatly reduced in Rugby League, so I'd guess its not quite as hard on the pitch, but there are a lot more field markings, it looks pretty much like a gridiron.

I thought the difference between League and Union was that Union mandates two extra players for no apparent reason, just like Unions do on jobsites.    

It's a joke.   God bless the unions.     

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

If they had artificial turf to cover the grass they could have rugby, etc. As long as they protect the grass for soccer.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

As long as it's a rb rugby team, they can go fuck themselves. Otherwise why not, not like we're the yankees or anything that we need perfect playing surface for passing the ball aimlessly. 

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users