#1 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:09 PM

Stopper once started a dialogue on Booze Van over who the greatest boxer of all time was.

Let it be known, Tommy Morrison will return to the ring

#2 twigg

twigg

whiskey - fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts
  • Interests:The game. It's history, it's personalities, it's rivalries.
  • Supports:Liverpool, Eintracht, Distillery

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:56 PM

Let it be known, Tommy Morrison will return to the ring

Ah... the Great White Dope.

Stopper once started a dialogue on Booze Van over who the greatest boxer of all time was.

You mean besides this guy, right?

Posted Image

Otherwise, what's to discuss?
Coimhead fearg fhear na foighde. Beware the anger of a patient man, - Gaelic Proverb

Sam's Club

#3 9ronaldo9

9ronaldo9

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts
  • Supports:Garaxy

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:13 PM

whats worse:
fighting a guy like tyson, who could beat the shit out of you and bite your ear off in one fight.
OR
fight Tommy, get the shit kicked out of you and pray that the positive HIV test was false.
????
I wish my grass was emo...then it would cut itself.

#4 cesar

cesar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:38 PM

Rocky Marciano. he was a bad ass motherfucker. back then, boxing was for men. gloves were basically leather bags. he retired undefeated.

Ali was the shit but we had tv back then. When Marciano was around, only the radio would broadcast fights. If Marciano would have fought in the TV era, he would have been bigger than Ali.

#5 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

Posted Image

I'm a little partial to lennox lewis as well, although in their heyday i think Marciano or Ali would probably have killed him.

#6 twigg

twigg

whiskey - fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:29 PM

Rocky Marciano. he was a bad ass motherfucker. back then, boxing was for men. gloves were basically leather bags. he retired undefeated.

Ali was the shit but we had tv back then. When Marciano was around, only the radio would broadcast fights. If Marciano would have fought in the TV era, he would have been bigger than Ali.

Definitely hard to judge fighters from different eras - especially white fighters.

While it's hard to argue with a 49-0 record, most of Marciano's fights would've been stopped on cuts. He was an absolute badass, but you can't hit what you can't see and I think Ali would've taken him apart.

He changed they way we box.
Coimhead fearg fhear na foighde. Beware the anger of a patient man, - Gaelic Proverb

Sam's Club

#7 L.A. Brigade

L.A. Brigade

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Boca Jrs, Man City, Celtic

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:46 PM

Definitely hard to judge fighters from different eras - especially white fighters.

While it's hard to argue with a 49-0 record, most of Marciano's fights would've been stopped on cuts. He was an absolute badass, but you can't hit what you can't see and I think Ali would've taken him apart.

He changed they way we box.

Yes, he added running away.

Hands down Marciano.

He beat Joe Louis' ass.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM7CMabngx4

#8 twigg

twigg

whiskey - fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love Marciano. But he, like Jack Dempsey, was a product of a bygone era.

He would've beaten an older, slower Ali just like he beat an older, slower Louis. I'm pretty sure he was in his late 30's (note the bald spot on the back of his head) while Rocky was coming into his prime.

But Ali in his prime was too quick and too mobile to get whacked by an old school slugger like Rocky. And if that failed, he had an iron jaw and almost superhuman capacity for pain. There was a bigger, meaner version of the 'old school slugger' around when Ali was still Ali. He swelled and bled less than Marciano too. Check the Rumble in the Jungle to see how that turned out.

I was raised in a family of insane boxing fans and Ali was hated because of his mouth and politics, so I'm not biased in my upbringing. There's just never been anything like him.

Sam's Club

#9 LFC1892

LFC1892

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Supports:G's, 'Pool, Hoops, Bayern, Fleet

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

This thread reminds me of the barbershop scene in Coming to America.

Minus the Soul-glo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

Psshhh...
BUTTERBEAN of course.
Posted Image
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#11 The Sign Guy

The Sign Guy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy Arsenal

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

For the record, my name is Ali. I was named after the best boxer of alltime. My brother is named mohammad. I think my dad really liked the guy, dont you agree?
But Marciano was good, but not great. Had he began his career 10 years earlier during the height of Lewis and Schmelling, then id say he is. But Ali, Frazier, and even Larry Holmes are on every top 10 heavyweight list known to boxing historians. Marciano is on this top 10 list, but not top 5. And as much as the man is a loser and a disgrace, Tyson was a badass motherfucker. He coulda knocked out an elephant with 1 punch.

#12 L.A. Brigade

L.A. Brigade

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:18 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love Marciano. But he, like Jack Dempsey, was a product of a bygone era.

He would've beaten an older, slower Ali just like he beat an older, slower Louis. I'm pretty sure he was in his late 30's (note the bald spot on the back of his head) while Rocky was coming into his prime.

But Ali in his prime was too quick and too mobile to get whacked by an old school slugger like Rocky. And if that failed, he had an iron jaw and almost superhuman capacity for pain. There was a bigger, meaner version of the 'old school slugger' around when Ali was still Ali. He swelled and bled less than Marciano too. Check the Rumble in the Jungle to see how that turned out.

I was raised in a family of insane boxing fans and Ali was hated because of his mouth and politics, so I'm not biased in my upbringing. There's just never been anything like him.

I agree with you man. It's like comparing linebackers in today's game to linebackers in the 60's.

ali was the jordan of boxing. I just hate his mouth and his politics.

#13 cesar

cesar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:13 AM

Ali did take some beatings but he introduced us to running in the ring. IMO, boxing means punching, not running. i dont give a fuck about his politics or mouth because we are judging him as an athlete. I just think Marciano is just too good.

as for the dancing, that is why i hate De La Hoya. he ran and ran. Chavez and Trinidad in their prime were better boxers than De La Hoya.

#14 L.A. Brigade

L.A. Brigade

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:58 AM

as for the dancing, that is why i hate De La Hoya. he ran and ran. Chavez and Trinidad in their prime were better boxers than De La Hoya.

As much as I disliked chavez, I agree. By the way, I hope nobody is going to pay to watch the de la hoya vs. mayweather slapfight/track meet/dance-a-thon. After the debacle vs. Baldomir, mayweather should be banned from boxing on pay-per-view.

#15 twigg

twigg

whiskey - fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:41 PM

Look at some of the other top heavies in Ali's day.

He didn't 'run' from Liston.

He didn't 'run' from Foreman.

He sure as hell didn't 'run' from Frazier.

Jerry Quarry should've run some. Maybe he'd still be around...

Sam's Club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users