Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
I know that Navy plays some their most recent bowl games there, but that's only one game a season.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA
stadium outlook brightens somewhat

http://www.washingto...Yw7NR_blog.html

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
Random thought: Have the powers that be in DC thought about scalling back the capacity of RFK and turning it into a soccer specific stadium? Might that be cheaper than starting from scratch and also get rid of a white elephant all in one shot?
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
Cool.

Smoke, flares, etc. Gonna be some fun down there.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Random thought: Have the powers that be in DC thought about scalling back the capacity of RFK and turning it into a soccer specific stadium? Might that be cheaper than starting from scratch and also get rid of a white elephant all in one shot?

RFK is so old and beaten down there is no point to try to renovate.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
I think Jack sums up my feelings for DC Utd.

Posted Image

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

I think from the get-go it always made the most sense to tear down RFK (in whole or in part), rebuild a 23k stadium on the site & use it as a way to kick-off redeveloping that area (replacing the Armory, etc). For whatever reason, city of DC wants no part of that. First, there has been (inexplicable) talk of FedEx field being too far out of town & bringing the Redskins back to DC, but, that would be lunacy since that stadium is only 12 or so years old. But still, talk about the team in DC has always been about putting it further down the river, not re-doing something on the RFK site. Yes, it would make sense to us from afar, let 'em play at FedEx for 2 years & move back into a new, smaller place at RFK, but I think the local council is for some reason against it. If DCU does move, RFK will get torn down & not soon replaced. Seems like a no-brainer to keep the jobs & revenue in the city, and it's right next to the Metro/subway, but, again, their Gov't. seems to have ruled against them on that.

This two year extension at RFK is nice for DC fans & all, at least they don't lose their team THIS year, but really...do we have any reason to think the stadium won't collapse on it's own in the next 2 years? That place is falling apart. It will continue to be an eyesore for that franchise & the league as long as they stay there. Which, you know, I'm totally okay with. Let those fuckers rot.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
Whatever progress they've had towards getting a stadium and a playoff-caliber squad has been negated by bringing back John Harkes as their color commentator.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

This two year extension at RFK is nice for DC fans & all, at least they don't lose their team THIS year, but really...do we have any reason to think the stadium won't collapse on it's own in the next 2 years? That place is falling apart. It will continue to be an eyesore for that franchise & the league as long as they stay there. Which, you know, I'm totally okay with. Let those fuckers rot.

DC just stuck a band-aid on a sucking chest wound. That's all the extension is.

Grimnitz

Grimnitz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hertha BSC, FC Harlem

DC just stuck a band-aid on a sucking chest wound. That's all the extension is.

donkey balls, chest wounds, so much sucks about DC.
"What do I have to do to get you into my van?"~Konrad

“Sellouts are extremely important to us for what we're trying to start here.”-Chris Heck
http://www.facebook.com/VikingArmySC

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

I think from the get-go it always made the most sense to tear down RFK (in whole or in part), rebuild a 23k stadium on the site & use it as a way to kick-off redeveloping that area (replacing the Armory, etc). For whatever reason, city of DC wants no part of that. First, there has been (inexplicable) talk of FedEx field being too far out of town & bringing the Redskins back to DC, but, that would be lunacy since that stadium is only 12 or so years old. But still, talk about the team in DC has always been about putting it further down the river, not re-doing something on the RFK site. Yes, it would make sense to us from afar, let 'em play at FedEx for 2 years & move back into a new, smaller place at RFK, but I think the local council is for some reason against it. If DCU does move, RFK will get torn down & not soon replaced. Seems like a no-brainer to keep the jobs & revenue in the city, and it's right next to the Metro/subway, but, again, their Gov't. seems to have ruled against them on that.

For whatever reason, i've always enjoyed watching games at RFK. It is a complete and utter dump. Yet, the ability to get there so easily via public transportation, and the general anarchy that persists throughout the area is a joy to behold.

I personally am against cities and locales propping up sports teams by funding stadiums. This is especially true for DC (I have now lived here for 2.5 years) where the lack of capital investment in infrastructure and education is shocking. If DCU is not able to gather the funds to create a stadium at the site, the city should sell the area to private developers to build a housing and commercial district (DC's housing stock is both inadequate and aging).

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
Let's also talk about how MLS sucks donkey balls for continually scheduling games against our biggest rivals in tough to make time slots. Such fucking nonsense. Sunday at 6pm and a Wednesday night 8pm match. Makes me so angry

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

http://www.washingto...Yw7NR_blog.html

Odd choice of photo in the linked full article, IMO: sparse crowd in the rain.

there has been (inexplicable) talk of FedEx field being too far out of town & bringing the Redskins back to DC, but, that would be lunacy since that stadium is only 12 or so years old.

:blink: Talk? Snyder owns the stadium, as well as the team. Is DC going to build a new 90,000 seat stadium & just give it to him? It's not as if there a lack of fans: all games have been sold-out since 1965 & there's a 30-year waiting list for STs.
http://en.wikipedia....iki/FedEx_Field

Whatever progress they've had towards getting a stadium and a playoff-caliber squad has been negated by bringing back John Harkes as their color commentator.

The positive offset appears to be the signing of DeRo:
http://www.washingto...lArPR_blog.html

MLS sucks donkey balls for continually scheduling games against our biggest rivals ... Sunday at 6pm and a Wednesday night 8pm match.

Nothing will stop dozens of Metro fans from packing Section 436! :cheers:

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Dero is now dc's highest paid player as a non DP (they have 2 dps on the roster). So basically they bought down the amount over his 335k with allocation money instead of using the 3rd dp slot on him.(cash strapped owner didnt want to play the 3rd dp fee) Thats a fuck load of total cap space for 1 player. You'd have to assume he's atleast a 500k total cap him when you factor in the allocation buydown.

5 year plan

Calcio20

Calcio20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars FC Juve USMNT

Let's also talk about how MLS sucks donkey balls for continually scheduling games against our biggest rivals in tough to make time slots. Such fucking nonsense. Sunday at 6pm and a Wednesday night 8pm match. Makes me so angry

Agree. Must be on purpose.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users