113 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I would say Atlanta could stomach a Martinez loss better than we can stomach a BWP loss.  Without BWP we're left with...Abang(?) as our lone striker.  They still have Almiron and Nagbe providing service to Villalba in their attack.  They probably won't be dropping 4 to 5 a game, but they'd still score a bunch.

Meh, ATL has struggled against the better MLS teams with Martinez, Nagbe is still out with a long term injury, and their big signing this year hasnt been great and isnt gelling with the team.

Alluring is probably the best player in the league, but a loss of the leagues top goa scorer is going to hurt them, at least close to what BWPs loss would hurt us.

Thats not an excuse for Red Bull to leave the 3rd DP slot open. Once Valot went down, they needed to make a sizable move to replace him. Andreas Ivan doesnt seem like thats the move, but well see.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Looks like none of the other top teams strengthened.

Had Red Bull added a major piece, they would have been clear-cut favorites to come out of the East. Instead the DP slot remains unused, again. Ivan is a total question mark.

There is major pressure now on the serial whiffers (Etienne and Muyl), and Rza. One if them needs to be banging in goals for the team to make a deep run. Otherwise it's going to be the same garbage again with BWP getting shut down in the postseason and none of our other players stepping up.

Armas' biggest responsibility for the rest of season is figuring out between DE, Muyl, Rza, and Ivan who he will ride with come November.  Currently playing our best 11 players Rza has to be there, but against good times would be ideal to have someone who reduces Murillo's offensive burden.  He has to play so high up the field to compensate for our lack of player on right side who can take on an opponent.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,489 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

...Once Valot went down, they needed to make a sizable move to replace him. Andreas Ivan doesnt seem like thats the move, but well see.

Who, at the start of the season, would have considered Valot a "sizeable" player?    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,234 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Valot a "sizeable" player?    

He did not say sizeable. He said sizable.
A completely different standard.
http://metrofanatic....ayer.jsp?ID=302

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Meh, ATL has struggled against the better MLS teams with Martinez, Nagbe is still out with a long term injury, and their big signing this year hasnt been great and isnt gelling with the team.

Alluring is probably the best player in the league, but a loss of the leagues top goa scorer is going to hurt them, at least close to what BWPs loss would hurt us.

Thats not an excuse for Red Bull to leave the 3rd DP slot open. Once Valot went down, they needed to make a sizable move to replace him. Andreas Ivan doesnt seem like thats the move, but well see.

When Nagbe got hurt in June the timeframe was about 2 months.  I expect him down the stretch/playoff run.

#RedBullOut

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

When Nagbe got hurt in June the timeframe was about 2 months.  I expect him down the stretch/playoff run.

It was 2-3 months. Hell be back, but how long until hes at full fitness?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Who, at the start of the season, would have considered Valot a "sizeable" player?    

Might not be a popular opinion but I think Valot is overrated. He had a super hot start to the season, as did other highly criticized players like Rivas or Etienne, before his production fell off a cliff. Valot had a goal or assist every 78 minutes through the NYCFC game on May 5th, after that he had an assist every 340 minutes until his injury (no goals). 

Watching the way Kaku can ping balls left and right behind the defense, I keep thinking game after game how great it'd be to have a legitimate attacking threat on the right side to run on to them. There's no reason we can't have that player other than Red Bull's inability or unwillingness to scout and pay for such a player. Maybe Ivan gets the job done, but a more bona fide signing would have been nice to see.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,489 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Might not be a popular opinion but I think Valot is overrated. He had a super hot start to the season, as did other highly criticized players like Rivas or Etienne, before his production fell off a cliff. Valot had a goal or assist every 78 minutes through the NYCFC game on May 5th, after that he had an assist every 340 minutes until his injury (no goals). 

Watching the way Kaku can ping balls left and right behind the defense, I keep thinking game after game how great it'd be to have a legitimate attacking threat on the right side to run on to them. There's no reason we can't have that player other than Red Bull's inability or unwillingness to scout and pay for such a player. Maybe Ivan gets the job done, but a more bona fide signing would have been nice to see.

When did Rivas or Etienne have extended hot streaks?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

I think when they scored their one goals of the season.

LONG LIVE METRO

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Yea, I wouldnt say that Valot was racking up the production or that we should not have upgraded his spot this window, but the offense did flow nicely when he was playing, even after the goals and assists slowed down.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Start of the season through May 5th:

Etienne - 77.3 min per goal/assist

Valot - 78.2 min per goal/assist

Rivas - 128.5 min per goal/assist but this really just comes down to his brace against Portland.

Yea, I wouldnt say that Valot was racking up the production or that we should not have upgraded his spot this window, but the offense did flow nicely when he was playing, even after the goals and assists slowed down.

You've been hammering it home for years now that this isn't enough come playoffs, no? Another true difference maker out there would go a hell of a long way to getting this team over the hump if BWP isn't at his best.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Start of the season through May 5th:

Etienne - 77.3 min per goal/assist
Valot - 78.2 min per goal/assist
Rivas - 128.5 min per goal/assist but this really just comes down to his brace against Portland.

You've been hammering it home for years now that this isn't enough come playoffs, no? Another true difference maker out there would go a hell of a long way to getting this team over the hump if BWP isn't at his best.

Yea, Im not saying Valot was the key to winning MLS Cup. I just think he was a giant upgrade over the Grellas and Muyls weve seen over the last couple of years. Although hes looked better as a sub recently, Muyl never seems to connect well teammates as he plays with his head down. With Valot, even when his goals dropped, the team kept scoring, because for his linkup play.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
Forgot about Rivas' brace. Anyhow yes right now I don't think we have enough to win it all. When Kaku and BWP get shut down who will step up? Royer ? I feel another person would have been nice to slide into that right side. Is Ivan the guy? We will see. If he is it will put us over the hump. Our success relys on the Ivan I think.

LONG LIVE METRO

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Forgot about Rivas' brace. Anyhow yes right now I don't think we have enough to win it all. When Kaku and BWP get shut down who will step up? Royer ? I feel another person would have been nice to slide into that right side. Is Ivan the guy? We will see. If he is it will put us over the hump. Our success relys on the Ivan I think.

Guys get shut down in the postseason, but for me, the answer is in set pieces and corner kicks. 

Getting schemes wo win more headers and cause chaos in the box is the best strategy for beating a team that is bunkered down. None of our players are going to be able to pick apart a defense like Iniesta or dribble through 6 players like Neymar. 

I wonder how many goals we might have added the past 8 years if we had a player who was above average on direct set pieces. We've had like 4 goals in 8 years, that has to be WAY below league average. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Guys get shut down in the postseason, but for me, the answer is in set pieces and corner kicks. 

Getting schemes wo win more headers and cause chaos in the box is the best strategy for beating a team that is bunkered down. None of our players are going to be able to pick apart a defense like Iniesta or dribble through 6 players like Neymar. 

I wonder how many goals we might have added the past 8 years if we had a player who was above average on direct set pieces. We've had like 4 goals in 8 years, that has to be WAY below league average. 

I think we have creative schemes. In fact I feel we have too many schemes that sometimes I find myself yelling at the tv screen everytime we play a corner short. I don't think MLS defenders are like the ones in La liga or Premier league so I think our players will be ok except when playoffs comes and BWP doesn't show up again. What's our game plan? Only thing I'll say about JM leaving is that he never seemed to figure it out. Armas has to see what we can do when we are down a goal and need someone to put it in the back of the net.

LONG LIVE METRO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users