31 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Few more hours to sign that international DP striker with one of the open roster spots!

At this point between the visa and quarantine, unless there is a late trade, we sat on the open roster spots, DP spot, international spot, just in case someone out there "fit the system".
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

At this point between the visa and quarantine, unless there is a late trade, we sat on the open roster spots, DP spot, international spot, just in case someone out there "fit the system".

Beyond comical. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Few more hours to sign that international DP striker with one of the open roster spots!

the international spot was about next year most likely more than using it this season zero reason to make an major investments before Struber gets here

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

the international spot was about next year most likely more than using it this season zero reason to make an major investments before Struber gets here

Zero reason? Except this little thing called this season...

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Zero reason? Except this little thing called this season...

That thinking is penny wise, pound foolish.  You could end up stuck with a guy that doesn't fit Struber's plan.  The combination of Armas and Hamlett screwed this year.  Give Thelwell AND Struber the offseason to put together a contender for 2021.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

Then why trade a guy like Muyl midseason in a position that rotates regularly? Muyl would arguably had the majority of the minutes in that position this year. Plenty of offseason trades for international spots for the coming year.

Struber has been attached to the organization long enough to realize the team needs a striker. No reason not to go get one now and he could have a say in who it is.

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Muyl would arguably had the majority of the minutes in that position this year..

I don't know if you can say that.  Is Muyl better than Stroud?

Bklynfootballer

Bklynfootballer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA

Struber has been attached to the organization long enough to realize the team needs a striker. No reason not to go get one now and he could have a say in who it is.

Considering Barnsley needed a striker as well, one would think Struber already had some targets in mind.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

I don't know if you can say that.  Is Muyl better than Stroud?

On the right wing, yes I think Muyl would be getting the minutes.
On the left wing, where Stroud spent the majority of his time dominating with NYRBII, Stroud gets the nod. Even with the first team Stroud has stood out on the left more so than the right where its been Valot, Mines, Fernandez, Stroud, Royer and now Clark. The argument can be made that Muyl was traded to give minutes to these guys, but the roster spot and gained international spot stayed open before Armas was let go.

@CurseofCaricola

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Then why trade a guy like Muyl midseason in a position that rotates regularly? Muyl would arguably had the majority of the minutes in that position this year. Plenty of offseason trades for international spots for the coming year.

muyl wasnt really playing that much and likley the club saw more value investing time into stroud omir Clark and mines. Struber has been attached after the primary summer window one Europe closed and frankly its a lot easier to buy for next season then try to get a quick fix when quick impacts are hard to come by when you dont have a preseason etc. its not at all surprising that they didnt fill that spot and really wouldnt have made sense

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

the roster spot and gained international spot stayed open before Armas was let go.

I think Thelwell had always planned on getting rid of Armas.  Armas just forced his hand to do so before the end of the season.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

That thinking is penny wise, pound foolish.  You could end up stuck with a guy that doesn't fit Struber's plan.  The combination of Armas and Hamlett screwed this year.  Give Thelwell AND Struber the offseason to put together a contender for 2021.

This reminds me of the "we're looking for the right fit" stuff that we've heard for 5+ years. Sure, this season is a bit of a write-off, but if we just got a league average striker instead of Barlow, you never know what happens in the playoffs. And if you could sign someone that's better than league average, I'd hope that Struber is a good enough manager to accommodate him in whatever system he's planning on.

They did bring in Yearwood and Tetteh, so clearly it is possible to sign players with a (possible) future here without Struber physically being in the country. Phones and video calls exist in 2020.

Anyway, I dont necessarily disagree with waiting it out, but saying there's "zero reason" to consider alternatives does irk me a bit.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

This remind me of the "we're looking for the right fit" stuff that we've heard for 5+ years. Sure, this season is a bit of a write-off, but if we just got a league average striker instead of Barlow, you never know what happens in the playoffs. And if you could sign someone that's better than league average, I'd hope that Struber is a good enough manager to accommodate him in whatever system he's planning on.

They did bring in Yearwood and Tetteh, so clearly it is possible to do sign players with a (possible) future here without Struber physically being in the country. Phones and video calls exist in 2020.

Anyway, I dont necessarily disagree with waiting it out, but saying there's "zero reason" to consider alternatives does irk me a bit.

i do wonder if they were caught of guard with some of the green cards we received, not sure the exact timing on those, and if the slot was for Tetteh.  Could do with another short term loan to see what happened, but we also got some GAM from the deal.  Personally dont mind the trade at all, but we could have at least traded the 2020 slot for some GAM.  A couple teams did that last week.  We need all the funny we can get. 

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

This remind me of the "we're looking for the right fit" stuff that we've heard for 5+ years. Sure, this season is a bit of a write-off, but if we just got a league average striker instead of Barlow, you never know what happens in the playoffs. And if you could sign someone that's better than league average, I'd hope that Struber is a good enough manager to accommodate him in whatever system he's planning on.

They did bring in Yearwood and Tetteh, so clearly it is possible to sign players with a (possible) future here without Struber physically being in the country. Phones and video calls exist in 2020.

FWIW yearwood was one of thelwell first targets. When he did sign it came out he had held talks back in February March and was close to leaving. Think a real possibility exists where he signed much earlier if not for Covid. Tetteh is a loan from Salzburg so its zero commitment if Struber doesnt want him

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

i do wonder if they were caught of guard with some of the green cards we received, not sure the exact timing on those, and if the slot was for Tetteh.  Could do with another short term loan to see what happened, but we also got some GAM from the deal.  Personally dont mind the trade at all, but we could have at least traded the 2020 slot for some GAM.  A couple teams did that last week.  We need all the funny we can get. 

new cba will include a large infusion of gam and tam so not a huge deal no team will be truly strapped

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users