116 replies to this topic

adiamas

adiamas

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

We don't have the raw numbers because the club isn't releasing them. But I KNOW that they sold less ST's than last year i KNOW the ST retention rate was lower than the past 2 seasons. We also have circumstantial evidence that suggests the same conclusion. Silence is deafening from NYRB on the numbers. Extending deadlines to renew, scheduling additional efforts to sell tickets are all classic tells in the sales business that sales are not going well.

And again, rather than being cynical I'd rather look at it from "whatever's happening, good or bad, they're trying harder" and that's an improvement of past years no matter what happens. Hopefully it ends with more butts in the seats.

I also KNOW that there are lots of factors that go into ticket sales. I KNOW that people around here seem to thrive on tearing apart whatever it is they happen to dislike at the moment. Congrats, you're on some KNOWledgeable inside track, but that and $1.50 gets me a cup of coffee.

The world is full of grey man which is why most the time you have to rely on information at hand and deduct through reasoning what the answer is most likely to be. If you want black and white raw data before you are willing to make a conclusion....you'll be waiting for quite some time.

Agreed, but I choose to not see the glass nearly as half empty as others seem to around here. All things being gray and interpretations being varied, I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt. If that's not a conclusion you make, there's nothing in the world that can change your mind.

I am pleased to see you will be happy to admit I am right later. :cheers:

Of course I would if you prove to be right. Only a complete putz would refuse to admit when wrong and Wynalda already has that market cornered. The flip side is I'll also remember that you were wrong when I'm right!

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

How are season ticket sales going? I mean, REALLY? Fred – Short Hills

We’re well ahead of pace from previous years. As a matter of fact we sold 1,000 new season tickets by the first week of December. We expect the season ticket base to increase from last year and to continue to grow.

Well if Chris Heck says so than it must be true! I will trust what the sales people on the inside doing the selling are saying over the guy that is renown for lying about sell outs and has his own ass to cover.

He sold "1000 new season tickets by the first week of December". A true statement, but like all Heck's statements its covered in half the story. What he doesn't tell you is they failed to retain a higher % of season tickets over previous years and fails to state that 1000 new STs is less than new STs last season.

He "expects" the season ticket base to increase from last year and grow, not that it actually is.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

jevanvoo

jevanvoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts
  • Supports:RBNY USMNT USWNT

The flip side is I'll also remember that you were wrong when I'm right!

Well, that's one of you! :D

"Onionsack- the soccer equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness" 

-Thoward18

Now it's the RedBulls fans. they may be even louder than the DC guys who, for reasons beyond imagining, had 50 seats saved for them up front.

Philadelphia: I love you guys, really, but you're getting schooled.

The noise in here is deafening.
-Bill Archer 1.14.10

wabbit67

wabbit67

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Well if Chris Heck says so than it must be true! I will trust what the sales people on the inside doing the selling are saying over the guy that is renown for lying about sell outs and has his own ass to cover.

He sold "1000 new season tickets by the first week of December". A true statement, but like all Heck's statements its covered in half the story. What he doesn't tell you is they failed to retain a higher % of season tickets over previous years and fails to state that 1000 new STs is less than new STs last season.

He "expects" the season ticket base to increase from last year and grow, not that it actually is.

He may also be counting STH who moved to cheaper locations as "new" since they never owned those seats.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
He said "previous years" which could be anything from 1996-2011. If it was higher than last year, he would have probably said last year.

He said 1,000 new season ticket holders but said nothing about those who opted out. Probably a net loss

He said "he expects" - he never said "it has".

I am guessing at this point the numbers are projecting to be lower than last year.

Heck, like all salesmen, chooses his words very carefully and should not be taken at face value.

adiamas

adiamas

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Heck, like all salesmen, chooses his words very carefully and should not be taken at face value.

Much the same can be said of most of the posters here....

MetroFever

MetroFever

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

She had a fist full of tickets and said that her and her husband get 30 free tickets every game because they are involved in Youth Soccer. No one on the youth team ever wants them and she feels bad but has to throw them away every game. She then went on to stuff 2 tickets in my had and hoped I'd enjoy the game.

Go get 'em Heck!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the reason why most fans think the numbers are exaggerated, but the tickets are technically "sold". Many of the tickets are given away as part of promotions, youth tournaments, etc, but the families don't utilize them.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

True story. ... forgot my season ticket cards ... lady grabbed my arm and asked if I had bought tickets yet. ... get 30 free tickets every game ... No one ... ever wants them and she ... has to throw them away every game.

Should have directed her to El Pastor! :lol:
Sigh. Don't know what's worse: loads of unused youth tickets, or hordes of kids screaming during the game. Well, at least the absentees don't bring their soccer moms with them. Fewer complaints about YSA.

attendance is based on tickets sold, if all the seats are sold, by definition it is a sellout. ... a fair number of those "buyers" don't show up

We certainly are being "sold out".

Your rant is was well written

Up there on the unintentional humor chart!
I generally deduct for misspelling & incoherency, as evidenced by my sig.

Everyone with 2 eyes could tell the sell outs he announced were horseshit., irrespective what accounting/ticket sale method you choose.

I rest my case.

RBA is kind of an anomaly. People buy ST's but only show up 1/3rd of the time.

Also, the downside of forcing people, who only want to attend a single certain game, to purchase a 3-game plan.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

I KNOW that they sold less ST's than last year i KNOW the ST retention rate was lower than the past 2 seasons.

(http://www.newyorkre...-your-questions @ JANUARY 12, 2012)
As a matter of fact we sold 1,000 new season tickets by the first week of December.

Isn't "as a matter of fact" a good clue, that the following words are complete bullsh!t?

"1000 new season tickets by the first week of December". A true statement, but ... they failed to retain a higher % of season tickets over previous years and fails to state that 1000 new STs is less than new STs last season.

He may also be counting STH who moved to cheaper locations as "new" since they never owned those seats.

It's probably all a crock. We'll certainly see, as the season progresses.

Much the same can be said of most of the posters here ...

I don't think that many of us here are carefully choosing our words ...
Heck should be speaking honestly, if he chooses to speak at all. Credibility, once lost, is hard to regain. Does "Fred from Short Hills" even exist? Could be a planted question. Isn't that one of the jobs of interns?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
Apparently, someone knows how to market a pseudo-sport:
http://www.nypost.co...bref=obinsource

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Just called and renewed 1 hour ago - the price for 101 is $320 - the "stampede" membership fee is waived if you renew, comes with $10 credit on a "blue" card. My seat was still available!

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
Does anyone here carefully chose their words? I didn't realize there were many posters who had a thought process? :P

It's absurd to me that you can't choose which games you want. It would be one thing if they had a major draw like other sports do, but even L.A. nowadays can't bring 20k, let alone 60. Why would you not let people get the 5 games a year that they want to go to?

I'll be going by a game by game basis. I certainly don't anticipate having any difficulty finding a ticket for the matches I do attend (which will probably be around the same # a as when I did have a ST) In fact, considering the ticket isn't exactly a big draw, I'm confident I can save money this year.

This is mostly due to the F.O. and organization being, in my opinion, inept. I couldn't care less about losing, it's never stopped me from attending before.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Does anyone here carefully chose their words? I didn't realize there were many posters who had a thought process? :P

It's absurd to me that you can't choose which games you want. It would be one thing if they had a major draw like other sports do, but even L.A. nowadays can't bring 20k, let alone 60. Why would you not let people get the 5 games a year that they want to go to?

I'll be going by a game by game basis. I certainly don't anticipate having any difficulty finding a ticket for the matches I do attend (which will probably be around the same # a as when I did have a ST) In fact, considering the ticket isn't exactly a big draw, I'm confident I can save money this year.

This is mostly due to the F.O. and organization being, in my opinion, inept. I couldn't care less about losing, it's never stopped me from attending before.

You can choose the games you want, just buy them individually.

The reason mini plans are pre-chosen is because it is not general admission, the seats are assigned. It is a very complex problem to let people choose which games they want to go to unless you assigned them different seats for each game. Keeping track of which seats in which price categories are taken or open is very inefficient. The return is not worth the cost of complexity. If it was just general seating, then it wouldn't be such a problem.

BTW, it is not as if Heck came up with this beauty himself. It is a very common methodology used by theater clubs, concert halls like Carnegie Hall, etc.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Putting aside the obvious reasons for them to put together packages that balance the more popular games with some less popular ones, people here are forgetting the simple logistics of selling dedicated seats. LA, for example, does have an option to pick any 6 or more games. But if you do the "pick any 6" plan, you get different seats for every game. That obviously doesn't matter to you, but its a big deal to some.

There's always going to be some trade off.

Columbus only lets you pick your games if you buy a 10 game package (and one game has to be the home opener). They have four game packs, but they are all pre-selected.

Philadelphia only has two partial season packages to choose from - both pre-selected, and they make you buy 9 games.

New England, Chicago and I imagine a bunch of others don't even have partial plans for sale yet. Its the same type of stuff all around the league... but haters gonna hate.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

But if you do the "pick any 6" plan, you get different seats for every game. That obviously doesn't matter to you, but its a big deal to some.

I doubt partial season ticket holders give two shits about having the exact same seat every week, if that was the case they would have bought the full seasons or shared fulls with a friend. What they care about is getting a few games in their price point with a small discount and being able to pick dates of games they can make or are available to go to.

Also VOR, the idea that this is some complex process holds little water. Computers track all this stuff these days and they will allow you to select a section and get the best available seat(s) when the game is selected.

Fact is Heck decided to forgo allowing fans the ease and courtesy of selected partial plans that fit their needs in lieu of packaging take it or leave options. Not the end of the world but when you are presiding over a very disjointed and disinterested fanbase giving the fans a little extra is probably the better decision.

But who are we kidding, this gut Heck has done absolutely nothing thus far that would place him in the fan's good graces.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users