529 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

the org had 2 windows to plan ahead for Tyler's departure. half-assed/stopgap measures with ppl defending the sporting side's actions with largely crap signings since March of 2018. Sims is one of the few who stepped onto the field and made a contribution almost straightaway, like Royer did in '16. 

Are people defending the signings?  Saying Tyler can't be 100% replaced is not defending the signings.  Ownership has done a bad job and so has Armas.  Those two things AND Tyler being irreplaceable can both be true.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,289 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

kool aid drinkers have existed for this team irrespective of ownership. it's pretty comical/adorable. obvs during the early days, there were fewer and they weren't as vociferous, but it was just as hilarious. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I've tried to say the same thing about Tyler. Gotta wonder how this team won so much before Tyler was even a factor with the team.  Some people tried to paint that as Dax as well and that was never the case.  The coach is a massive downgrade.  Maybe not because Armas is awful, but because he's nowhere near Marsch.  Honestly don't think we'll ever have a coach as good as Marsch.

The regression of so many players is the biggest piece of evidence you have.  You can spend money, but if the coach can't get guys playing their best, then that doesn't matter one bit. 

We havent spent the money though. And yes, not having someone like Dax or Tyler is a big downgrade. Even pre Adams we had Dax and Felipe, which is better than struggling Davis and CCJ who is just in the first year of getting some meaningful minutes. And Felipe was available via trade as it turned out yet FO didnt do a thing. The truth is, while Armas didt do us any favors, FO is by far the biggest problem.

Everyone knew Davis is not great, Tyler needs a replacement, we have crap at the right wing, and BWP is getting old before the start of the season. Finally we got a decent winger in Sims towards the very end of the season, but havent addressed other positions and kept one of the lowest payrolls in MLS. This season is on FO first and foremost.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,348 posts

We havent spent the money though. And yes, not having someone like Dax or Tyler is a big downgrade. Even pre Adams we had Dax and Felipe, which is better than struggling Davis and CCJ who is just in the first year of getting some meaningful minutes. And Felipe was available via trade as it turned out yet FO didnt do a thing. The truth is, while Armas didt do us any favors, FO is by far the biggest problem.

Everyone knew Davis is not great, Tyler needs a replacement, we have crap at the right wing, and BWP is getting old before the start of the season. Finally we got a decent winger in Sims towards the very end of the season, but havent addressed other positions and kept one of the lowest payrolls in MLS. This season is on FO first and foremost.

The front office is definitely a problem as well but the lack of spending isn't changing.  They are committed to this money ball concept. 

I just think the coach is the bigger problem.  Every guy on the team is playing worse, save Royer.  

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,135 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The front office is definitely a problem as well but the lack of spending isn't changing.  They are committed to this money ball concept. 

I just think the coach is the bigger problem.  Every guy on the team is playing worse, save Royer.  

Even Royer hasn't been terribly good lately.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

If they are not going to spend, we are screwed, no matter who the coach is next year. I do see occasional splashes, like Kaku or Sims, so I am hoping they will open their checkbook again next summer. As far as every guy is playing worse, I just think they got a lot more exposed this year without having a top striker and loss of Adams was quite huge. That's two our of top three players from last year essentially gone. The team is bound to get worse and particularly defense more exposed. This is not to say that Armas did a great job - he clearly hasn't and depending on play-off performance could very well be fired. But we just need better players on this team to succeed, as simple as that.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts
  • Supports:Metro

...This is not to say that Armas did a great job - he clearly hasn't and depending on play-off performance could very well be fired. But we just need better players on this team to succeed, as simple as that.

If Armas wins the Cup then of course he can stay!

But anything short of that and he should be canned immediately. Even reaching the final would be just a luck based winning streak. There have been way too many tactical mistakes and just bizarre decisions in general to ignore.

To your second point: Yes. Talent wins championships. Period. And we dont have enough of it.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

But anything short of that and he should be canned immediately. Even reaching the final would be just a luck based winning streak. There have been way too many tactical mistakes and just bizarre decisions in general to ignore.

If Armas looks back at the season and realizes his mistakes and then we reach the final because the team plays cohesive, intelligent, energetic, high pressing soccer, then Id be ok with Armas staying. I dont foresee any of that happening, so he should be updating resume.

nymetrofan90

nymetrofan90

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Adams was one of the best players in the whole league. Saying that Rzat and CCJ should be good enough to replace him because they are MLS caliber players is like saying Real Madrid shouldn't have gotten that much worse when Ronaldo left because Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale are La Liga quality forwards.  Adams quality made every part of the game easier for every player on the field.  It made defending easier and attacking easier.  In some ways a real top quality central midfielder like Adams is far more important and the loss of such a player far more disruptive than a great goalscorer because it directly impacts how the team plays in ever part of the field. 

I wouldn't compare our situation with Adams leaving the Red Bulls and Ronaldo leaving Real Madrid. Real Madrid plays in one of the best leagues in the world and Ronaldo is top 2 in the entire world... of course replacing him is way more tougher and for Madrid they would be affected. Then again, they should have still done better and no one debated that.

For us, we lost Adams to the Bundesliga, which is a bigger step up from MLS obviously. The level in MLS, the talent you need to succeed here, isn't a lot. Rza and Casseres are not Adams and I won't ever say they are the same quality as Adams, he was one-of-a-kind, but with those two, our midfield shouldn't have been as bad as it was and overall, our team should not have regressed as much as it did.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Rza and Casseres are not Adams and I won't ever say they are the same quality as Adams, he was one-of-a-kind, but with those two, our midfield shouldn't have been as bad as it was and overall, our team should not have regressed as much as it did.

Losing Adams hurt us badly because talent wins.

BUT over the past few years the team was built in a VERY specific way for a very specific tactical purpose....and Armas decided to screw with it. This is what happens.

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

To your second point: Yes. Talent wins championships. Period. And we dont have enough of it.

If Armas reaches the MLS Cup Final, he is a lock to stay. Even Marsch couldn't do that. Reaching conference final with this roster, in spite of all the regular season struggles I think would be enough to give him another year. If we beat Philly though, but lose in Conf semis, he may not survive. And of course losing in the first round likely means he will be out of a job.

nymetrofan90

nymetrofan90

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Losing Adams hurt us badly because talent wins.

BUT over the past few years the team was built in a VERY specific way for a very specific tactical purpose....and Armas decided to screw with it. This is what happens.

Never said otherwise lol

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,135 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

If Armas reaches the MLS Cup Final, he is a lock to stay. Even Marsch couldn't do that. Reaching conference final with this roster, in spite of all the regular season struggles I think would be enough to give him another year. If we beat Philly though, but lose in Conf semis, he may not survive. And of course losing in the first round likely means he will be out of a job.

I don't share your confidence, as much as I'd like to see Woly get promoted.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I don't share your confidence, as much as I'd like to see Woly get promoted.

Yeah, I would guess Armas stays. Unless we lose 4-0 or something along those lines.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

...oc er the past few years the team was built in a VERY specific way for a very specific tactical purpose....and Armas decided to screw with it.

This. No one should have expected a Shield with this squad. That said, weve fallen too far because of Armas coaching. Marsch didnt have a Plan B when the press wasnt generating goals, but instead of adding to our arsenal, Armas replaced the system with something we dont have the players for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users