50 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Unfortunately that snippet was mine, and I went on to expand about how there was a direct correlation between increased Leipzig spending and decreased NY spending.  It didn't come across in that snippet, where I was specifically talking about how Leipzig's rise to the Buli killed a lot of the 1st team roster spending here.  It was part of a 20 minute wide ranging interview where a lot of those things were discussed.  I addressed all of them in my portion.  

Absolutely agree that Leipzig, especially after being promoted to the Bundesliga, has had a "big spend" on player(s) financial impact on this club.

BTW, I enjoyed your segments. Valid points on a few topics.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

My portion was 20 minutes long, same for Corey, Brent, Adair and others.

Gotcha.  Seems like the video was edited in a manner that didn't get all your points across.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
So, thread already dumped into the DH sub-forum! 🙀
Why not change Metrofanatic to RedBullfanatic?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Gotcha.  Seems like the video was edited in a manner that didn't get all your points across.

Dave has bosses too.  He wasn't lazy at all with this, put in a lot of work with it and I think it's mostly fair...especially on the off field stuff.  The soda can crew will gnash their teeth as usual because it isn't all positive.  Can only cover so much in 12 minutes...  

#RedBullOut

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Dave has bosses too.  He wasn't lazy at all with this, put in a lot of work with it and I think it's mostly fair...especially on the off field stuff.  The soda can crew will gnash their teeth as usual because it isn't positive.  

Wasn't criticizing anyone in particular, just commenting that, based on what you've said here, someone edited a lot your comments out.  Overall I'd say the piece is accurate, but I don't know if I'd call it fair.  It talks about the lack of investment in the club after the Leipzig purchase, yet doesn't mention the dollars put into the Academy and the USL team.  No mention how the team has won three Shields in the last five years, two of them coming after the "decrease" in investment.  They also refer to NY and Salzburg as farms teams for Leipzig, when we have yet to send a player there (I know Tyler is on his way) and Salzburg isn't hurting from having theirs go to Germany (they went further in the Europa League than Leipzig last season).  So while I think almost everything in the video is true, it ignores almost anything positive (RBA excluded), making it hard to call it fair.  

Personally, I have an embattled history with Red Bull.  I stopped supporting the team when the club was rebranded, came back when they signed Henry (my favorite player from his days at Arsenal), and have now grown to really appreciate the way they currently run the sporting side (youth development, young foreign signings, USL team, etc.).  However, the business and fan engagement side of the team is a shitstorm.  The Portlands, SKCs, Seattles, and Atlantas of the league make what's happening here seem like a joke.  Branding matters when it comes to support, look at how much better SKC drew after they dropped the "Wiz" moniker.  I think it's weird for a lot of people to root for a team named after a product; I almost never wear team gear outside of match day, because I don't want to walk around looking like a fan of soda.

On the sporting side they are more "local" than any other club in MLS.  On the business, fan engagement side, the are probably the least "local".

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Dave has bosses too.  He wasn't lazy at all with this, put in a lot of work with it and I think it's mostly fair...especially on the off field stuff.  The soda can crew will gnash their teeth as usual because it isn't all positive.  Can only cover so much in 12 minutes...  

Who are his bosses? Who paid for this?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

No mention how the team has won three Shields in the last five years.

We do not know when the video was completed. It could have been two Shields in six seasons, 2013 & 2015, at that point.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

We do not know when the video was completed. It could have been two Shields in six seasons, 2013 & 2015, at that point.

It was.  I did this interview months ago.

#RedBullOut

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Youre right. We have been one of, if not the, best regular season team since they decrease in investment.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Youre right. We have been one of, if not the, best regular season team since they decrease in investment.

Coincidentally (or not), it's also the year they actually spent.  Kaku was a 6+ million dollar x-fer fee....

#RedBullOut

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Coincidentally (or not), it's also the year they actually spent.  Kaku was a 6+ million dollar x-fer fee....

True. And, not referencing the Kaku signing is another example of the video not really being fair.

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

Yes you're right he did mention the arena then so I'll take that one back. The rest still applies though.

Wrong about another thing.  "finishing 1st in the east once and got bounced in the playoffs right away anyway."   

2000 they lost late in game 3 of the Conf Finals in Chicago.  Hardly 'right away'

Videos and interviews get edited to portray things a certain way all the time. And being a German news organization I'm sure the majority over there are Nein zu RB und modern fussball and edited the video as such.  I understood the point trying to be made about spending even though the facts were slightly off.  Much like the above with your post.  I get what you are trying to say even though we did go far in the playoffs in 2000.   It was not right when they bought Leipzig, but as they rose in the German Leagues, the spending on players changed here and the approach changed as well. Was that because of money going toward Leipzig or "business metrics" results here.  I don't think we'll ever get a finite answer.  However I like the new approach and for me, developing and playing local talent has made this feel more like my club and helped with the identity part being discussed in the video. 

All that being said Red Bull still has unnecessarily brought all this upon themselves by how they choose to name teams after their company and market merchandise.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
Team is an MLS juggernaut and a flagship franchise. Really nothing to complain about or see here. Now the guys who bought NJD and have crippled that team, that's a story for you.

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

Hey yall, I'm the Dave in question.

As Greg mentioned, I talked with him, Corey, Brent, Adaer for 20 minutes or so each. Talked for Marsch as long, Poulsen for about 10 minutes and the German ultra for 40 minutes. Which unfortunately means you've got a lot to cut down.

Even with everything cut down significantly, a lot of points I thought were important to make (clarifying Greg's quote to make it clearer that the shift in funding occurred as RBL rose up the leagues, mentioning the academy producing USMNT players, NY fan interviews about how they like the new system don't necessarily miss the stars, fans giving their perspective on why RB does it all from a marketing perspective, etc.) didn't make it in, and as DW makes things for an international audience a lot of it was deemed as just too much information/a bit too thick in the weeds for the average viewer who has never heard of RBNY, let alone metro. So I understand a lot of the criticism and a fair bit of it is valid.   Definitely a bit frustrating that most of what's been pointed out was originally in and was cut out in an effort to keep it shorter but that's just how it goes I guess.

I do appreciate people watching and giving feedback, even if a lot of it has been pretty vitriolic, it's the internet, and my mom liked it, so that's good enough for me.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
I don't even understand the point of the video at this time. I'm sure it was started long ago but after the best regular season in MLS history and a solid playoffs so far we should all be drinking the red bull. The only one vitriolic is you of the team by the way. When is this topic going to just die already?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users