251 replies to this topic

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We have 20 players under contract right now. You are allowed 30. Even if we sign all the trialists, that leaves room for Kassel and Hot. And they don't count against the cap!

I think the bottom line here is, the powers that be decided that Kassel and Hot will not amount to pros, and decided to cut the cord as opposed to stringing them along.

MF I counted 21 players...

Per MLS rules:

A Major League Soccer club’s first team roster is comprised of up to 30 players. All 30 players are eligible for selection to each 18-player game-day squad during the regular season and playoffs.

Salary & Budget:

• Players occupying roster spots 1-20 count against the club’s 2012 salary budget of $2,810,000, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Salary Budget Players.
    • Roster spots 19 and 20 are not required to be filled, and teams may spread their salary budget across only 18 Salary Budget Players. A minimum salary budget charge will be imputed against a team’s salary budget for each unfilled senior roster slot below 18.
    • The maximum budget charge for a single player is $350,000.*
    • A Designated Player over the age of 23 counts as $350,000 against the club’s salary budget, unless the player joins his club in the middle of the season, in which case his budget charge will be $175,000.
    • A Designated Player 20 years old or younger** (referred to as Young Designated Players or Young DPs) to counts as $150,000 against the club’s salary budget
    • A Designated Player 21-23 years old** counts as $200,000 against the club’s salary budget.
    • The budget charge for the midseason signing of a Young DP is $150,000 and this amount cannot be lowered with allocation funds.
    • Clubs will not have to buy the third DP roster slot to accommodate a Young Designated Player whereas clubs are normally required to buy that slot for a one-time fee of $250,000.
    • Clubs are responsible for all amounts above the budget charge for all Designated Players.
* See section entitled Allocation Money below, under Player Acquisition Mechanisms, for details on buying down a player’s budget charge.
** Age of player is determined by year (not date) of birth.

• Players occupying roster spots 21-30 do not count against the club’s salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Off-Budget Players (maximum of 10 per team).
    • All Generation adidas players are Off-Budget players.
    • Players occupying roster spots 1-24 will earn at least $44,000 in 2012.
    • Players occupying roster spots 25-30 will earn at least $33,750 in 2012.
    • Clubs may elect to leave up to two of these roster spots (25-30) vacant and use $35,000 for each empty spot as allocation money.
    • Clubs may sign up to two Homegrown Players contracts above the minimum salary and similar to Generation adidas player contract amounts.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

West Ham fan

West Ham fan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Supports:West Ham United, RBNY, USMNT

We have 20 players under contract right now. You are allowed 30. Even if we sign all the trialists, that leaves room for Kassel and Hot. And they don't count against the cap!

I think the bottom line here is, the powers that be decided that Kassel and Hot will not amount to pros, and decided to cut the cord as opposed to stringing them along.

THIS.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Clubs may elect to leave up to two of these roster spots (25-30) vacant and use $35,000 for each empty spot as allocation money.

This is why they were cut.
MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Roofles

Roofles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:belligerent love that Red Bulls fans threw his way, in that particularly entitled, disrespectful, yet somehow fiercely loyal manner New York sports fans specialize in.

And they don't count against the cap!

I see this posted a lot, but I don't see where in the roster rules it says that.
http://www.mlssoccer...ls-roster-rules

I feel bad for those two, wasn't Petke big on Kassel last fall?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

I see this posted a lot, but I don't see where in the roster rules it says that.
http://www.mlssoccer...ls-roster-rules

Players occupying roster spots 21-30 do not count against the club’s salary budget

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Agreed...

Opens up a contract to keep another one of the trialists. Man of them they really seem to like.

-DELETED-

-DELETED-

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York

Ready to pull the trigger on Ballack or return of Rost or even (my hope) Ronaldindho?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Clubs may elect to leave up to two of these roster spots (25-30) vacant and use $35,000 for each empty spot as allocation money.

If these were the primary reasons for their release, I'm fine with it.

I have a sneaking suspicion however, we're just making room on the roster for the Toro Rosso pit crew. We'll just have to wait and see.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal
And chemistry in the locker room goes boom.

Section133

Section133

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Supports:Metros

And chemistry in the locker room goes boom.

Yes because we all know about the cookies and backrubs Kassel and Hot were known for.

:blink:

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
Shenanigans

b00zeNYC

b00zeNYC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Supports:Zen
Tomfoolery.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
Wow. This is a stunning move. I wonder if they need the allocation money for an imminent DP signing? (Ballack?)

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Why woul dthey cut young developmental type guys that don't count against the cap?/ i just do not understand this team's hate for young guys.

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls
At this point I say we might as well close up our useless academy as even with the rules with no cap cost we still don't utilize the players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users