44 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Gets call up for Cameroon according to goal.com. What a season for this kid.

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Awesome.

Gotta get him up to the 6 train on 177th to sell some tickets, mang.

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron
!

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

Thierry's Bald Spot

Thierry's Bald Spot

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Fuck

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Im happy for the guy but man we are fucked this season.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Im happy for the guy but man we are fucked this season.

I'm okay with this. I'm not HAPPY about it, but I'm okay with it. Let's be realistic here. Open Cup was over a long time ago. We're probably not going to do anything relevant playoffs-wise. There's CCL, but if we can't get points against this group without him then we were fucked to begin with in that. 

At the very least this helps to give Roxburgh and Houllier a nice bargaining chip for future players. BWP went from League One reject to on the European map in half a season. Oyongo went from totally irrelevant castoff to national team call-up (and while Cameroon isn't Brazil, they're not some shitty island country either) almost overnight. Hopefully, talented players hoping to increase their stock will see this as a good place to do so.

metro bomaye!

metro bomaye!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Supports:METRO | Betis

Congrats to Oyongo...in the short-term not so great for us but in the larger picture it bodes very well for the club.

Red Bull Out

woodrow

woodrow

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Anybody know the details on this?  Assuming there's overlap with Miller's departure that could leave Bobby C as the only left back on the roster.  Can anyone else envision a 3-man back line with Armando-Olave-Sekagaya/Miazga/Perinelle?  Considering Cahill will also be missing, this seems almost bound to happen, or at least de facto happen.  The swap out would be starting Luyindula instead of one CD.

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

Anybody know the details on this?  Assuming there's overlap with Miller's departure that could leave Bobby C as the only left back on the roster.  Can anyone else envision a 3-man back line with Armando-Olave-Sekagaya/Miazga/Perinelle?  Considering Cahill will also be missing, this seems almost bound to happen, or at least de facto happen.  The swap out would be starting Luyindula instead of one CD.

this is for the KC game, right? You don't want to play a 3 man backline against a 4-3-3, especially if the wingbacks/midfielders (Oyongo or Miller) will be out.

The problem with a three-man defence is that it rarely works well against anything other than two strikers. Against one striker, you’re left with 3 v 1 at the back – fine defensively, but clearly leaving a shortfall somewhere else in the side. Against three forwards (one central and two side), there is no natural solution in terms of marking. If your wing-backs (in a 3-4-1-2) pick up the opposition wingers (in a 4-3-3) you’re left with same problem, being overmanned at the back. If your centre-backs are given the task of picking up the wingers, either they’re dragged dangerously wide, or they’re allowing the wingers the time and space they desire.

Furthermore, the increased emphasis upon (a) movement (b) pace and © versatile attacking players in the modern game means it’s simply too easy for a three-man defence to be dragged out of shape. A 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 also left opposition full-backs free – not useful with the advent of attacking full-backs, although this was a less of a problem with a 3-4-3.

http://www.zonalmark...ootball-soccer/

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

https://sports.yahoo...-151012041.html

9/6 and 9/10 (v Congo and v Ivory Coast)

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

...We're probably not going to do anything relevant playoffs-wise. ...

I don't concede that for a second.   With Henry almost certainly hoping to go out on top, BWP on fire, Oyongo being such a huge missing piece of the puzzle, and Petke/Roxy focusing on building up to the playoffs all year (now that we have a Shield to our name), we absolutely have the type of team that can make a serious run in the playoffs.  But without Oyongo, that hope gets seriously diminished.  Being optimistic, maybe this gives Oyongo even more confidencetghat he can being into October/November.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Last year we won the shield and bombed out of the playoffs. It doesn't really matter too much where you finish as long as you get in. Having to play the wild card would suck, but it's better than nothing. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I don't concede that for a second.   With Henry almost certainly hoping to go out on top, BWP on fire, Oyongo being such a huge missing piece of the puzzle, and Petke/Roxy focusing on building up to the playoffs all year (now that we have a Shield to our name), we absolutely have the type of team that can make a serious run in the playoffs.  But without Oyongo, that hope gets seriously diminished.  Being optimistic, maybe this gives Oyongo even more confidencetghat he can being into October/November.

Eh, that's kind of generous for a team that hasn't kept a clean sheet since the first week of June.  

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

We did keep a clean sheet vs Arsenal  :D

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

so does that mean we're at least as good as everton?

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users