177 replies to this topic

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

of course any number of dropped points could theoretically be the reason for us missing the shield. however, there's a few that jump out at me:

#1: draw @ NYCFC - we were up a man most of the game, and then up 2 men by the end of the game. if i recall they were actually just as likely to go up by a goal towards the end than we were of scoring a game winner.  inexcusable. need to be able to put games like this away

#2: loss vs Columbus - the team's effort in the 1st half was pathetic. we have the best record in the league, but it's unreasonable to expect 100% perfection every home game. However, the effort exerted in the 1st half was terrible.

#3: loss @ montreal - i could see us losing away against an ok team.  but we laid an egg and got blown out, which came back to bite us now in the Goal Differential.  If we lose 1-0 or 2-0, then maybe a draw in the final game is enough to see us to the shield

ones i don't rate as highly

-  the away loss @ orlando. we were in the middle of CCL and fielded a B squad on the road. 

- the home loss vs Chicago. Schweini played a solid game and they had a wondergoal.  Again, unreasonable to expect 100% home record (we already have the best home record in the league)

That Montreal loss was the 5th game in 2 weeks and they held out the guys who were getting called into the US team.

The Orlando game was much worse, yes a B squad but they scored the winning goal on a BS non call that was even reviewed and still not changed.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I'm sure Atlanta can say similar things about some of their games this year too.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
That Columbus loss was completely unacceptable considering that everyone and their mother knew exactly what was going to happen when it was announced Collin was starting.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

We had one of the best seasons in league history. Every team drops points.

If Armas doesn't lose at NYC, maybe he doesn't start to use subs earlier and we don't beat KC the following week. Etc, etc, etc.

For every loss at home to a shitty Chicago side, there's a crazy win on the road against a very good ATL.     Maybe its not one for one, but people tend too much to focus on just one side of that equation.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

We had one of the best seasons in league history.

And could have nothing to show for it.
68 points is one off MLS record 69. Could be 71.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

And could have nothing to show for it.

memories...

Excellence Not Expectations

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

memories...

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=AmCTZT6w6Mw

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ

A possible scenario:

Atlanta loses by one goal, RBNY ties Orlando.  RBNY and ATL are tied on points.  First tiebreaker is wins, they are still tied with 21.  Second tiebreaker is goal difference, they are still tied with +28.  Third tiebreaker is goals for, ATL right now has what looks like an insurmountable lead, 69 to 61.

Obviously, a RBNY win and an ATL tie or loss makes it simple.  But RBNY can still take the Shield with a tie, as long as ATL loses by 2 or more.

This is not meant to be sour grapes on my part, but it really pisses me off that head to head does not make it into the picture.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

This is not meant to be sour grapes on my part, but it really pisses me off that head to head does not make it into the picture.

Theres no balanced schedule and the international breaks are ridiculous. No matter how you draw it up the shield winner is never going to be straightforward. Even if the international breaks get sorted out there will never be a balanced schedule.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

On the other hand, don't you think that disciplinary points are the true way to measure a champion?

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

tynian16

tynian16

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Does anyone know what channel this game is on?

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Does anyone know what channel this game is on?

MSG

tynian16

tynian16

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

MSG

That's what I thought but my local listings are showing the Rangers on at that time.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

That's what I thought but my local listings are showing the Rangers on at that time.

I'm assuming it would be on MSG+ or one of the MSG alternates if there's a conflict with the Rangers or any of the local hockey/basketball teams.

tynian16

tynian16

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

I'm assuming it would be on MSG+ or one of the MSG alternates if there's a conflict with the Rangers or any of the local hockey/basketball teams.

I see Islanders on MSG+ and I'm not sure I get any other MSG alternates.  I'll ask RBNY twitter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users