184 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

With all due respect to the great BWP, Diego Rossi did 75%+ of the work. He stole the ball, he advanced the ball, he crossed the ball, and set up BWP. BWP did an excellent finish, but the fact is that we don't have anyone who can do what Diego Rossi did on that play.

Rossi is amazing, and admittedly I thought BWP was damaged goods after last season, but he proved me and others wrong, since his level of play dramatically improved from last year. It's not just Rossi. BWP scored another goal in that game, which was disallowed by VAR review because another player was offside, not him. Looks like BWP was indeed just injured last year and not quite done yet. Gotta give credit when credit is due and admit when I was wrong. LAFC probably got him on the cheap too just as an insurance back-up. I don't know how long he can keep this up as he is up there in age, but at least as of now, the way he plays is one of the main things missing from Metro.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Get in good spots and finish your chances. Thats the job, right?

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

With all due respect to the great BWP, Diego Rossi did 75%+ of the work. He stole the ball, he advanced the ball, he crossed the ball, and set up BWP. BWP did an excellent finish, but the fact is that we don't have anyone who can do what Diego Rossi did on that play.

Agreed, but I don't think we necessarily have anyone doing the remaining 25% either.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
BWP

https://www.mlssocce...impression=true

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

BWP

https://www.mlssocce...impression=true

Wow he's MAD mad. Hope this keeps him going, would like him to get the league scoring record.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

BWP is absolutely correct, but seeing how they dealt with Sam, Dax and Sacha, what did he expect?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Good luck to him.
It will be another TSM moment if LAFC wins MLS Cup.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

He even says himself that he's not necessarily accusing RBNY of doing anything wrong. Players have egos and growing old sucks and he's motivated to prove wrong a general sentiment that he's past it. He says RBNY didn't give him much clarity during the year on what their plans were for him, and how could they have? They had no idea what his injury would mean for his abilities and they were searching for a New Head of Sport who would be making his own roster decisions no matter what they told him at the time.

My problem isn't that they let him go or even how they did it, but the fact that they didn't do shit to replace him. Moving Dax and Sacha to make way for Adams and Kaku was ruthless. Moving BWP and adding nobody is being cheap.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
I feel that RBNY, after retiring his number (prematurely in my opinion...should have waited for him to retire) kind of owed it to him to let him retire from his playing career a Red Bull. Should have made him a reasonable one-year offer to play, with a position within the organization waiting for him. If he rejected it fine (and on him) but I feel like it was at least owed. I know Red Bull would never do that, but many solid organizations would.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I feel that RBNY, after retiring his number (prematurely in my opinion...should have waited for him to retire) kind of owed it to him to let him retire from his playing career a Red Bull. Should have made him a reasonable one-year offer to play, with a position within the organization waiting for him. If he rejected it fine (and on him) but I feel like it was at least owed. I know Red Bull would never do that, but many solid organizations would.

Nah fuck that. You don't give contracts to people for sentimental reasons. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Hope he switches to #99 now that Dia left.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Nah fuck that. You don't give contracts to people for sentimental reasons. 

No, not just for sentimental reasons. If you are telling me this organization truly thought this guy's career was over, that his groin injury was career ending, fine. But if you're looking at what you have...White, Barlow, and Jorgensen...and you don't think a healthy BWP in a final one year contract won't score more than any of them then, 1) your medical staff sucks, and 2) your talent judgement sucks. Best scorer in MLS the previous half decade. Healthy he scores a minimum of ten goals plus another year of mentoring your young strikers. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

No, not just for sentimental reasons. If you are telling me this organization truly thought this guy's career was over, that his groin injury was career ending, fine. But if you're looking at what you have...White, Barlow, and Jorgensen...and you don't think a healthy BWP in a final one year contract won't score more than any of them then, 1) your medical staff sucks, and 2) your talent judgement sucks. Best scorer in MLS the previous half decade. Healthy he scores a minimum of ten goals plus another year of mentoring your young strikers. 

Buddy, that has nothing to do with what you said.

"Kind of owed it to him to let him retire from his playing career a Red Bull. Should have made him a reasonable one-year offer to play, with a position within the organization waiting for him. If he rejected it fine (and on him) but I feel like it was at least owed. I know Red Bull would never do that, but many solid organizations would."

Keeping him because your internal options suck is a good argument to make. Keeping him out of obligation is a horrible justification. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Watching BWP making incisive runs into the box, something which we're completely not capable of doing now...

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Watching BWP making incisive runs into the box, something which we're completely not capable of doing now...

Youre right but that isnt saying much. Our setup has to be one of the most dire and least riveting in the league down there/up there with Vancouver, Cincy, DC, and Montreal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users