MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Dude sucks. He's an MLS 1.0 reserve player at best. Bring him back to rbny 2 and let him flourish there

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Dude sucks. He's an MLS 1.0 reserve player at best. Bring him back to rbny 2 and let him flourish there

If the club doesn't rate Allen as a future MLS-level player then he should not be playing for RBNY2.  That spot should be for someone that they believe at least has potential to be play in MLS.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,120 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

If the club doesn't rate Allen as a future MLS-level player then he should not be playing for RBNY2.  That spot should be for someone that they believe at least has potential to be play in MLS.

not really... can't build a full squad of guys like that.  There are plenty of guys on RB2 that we know will never make it at the top level.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

not really... can't build a full squad of guys like that.  There are plenty of guys on RB2 that we know will never make it at the top level.

Fair point.  I just wouldn't want him there so RBNY2 can win games.  If he's not taking the roster spot of prospect, then I can see it.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Allen just lacks next level qualities.  Typical great hitter in Triple A but doesn't have the tools for the majors.

And yeah, can't have every guy with the 2's being a prospect but the guys who aren't typical prospects have to be good locker room guys.  I don't even think Allen is that.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Allen just lacks next level qualities.  Typical great hitter in Triple A but doesn't have the tools for the majors.

And yeah, can't have every guy with the 2's being a prospect but the guys who aren't typical prospects have to be good locker room guys.  I don't even think Allen is that.

Same thing was said abt woly and wondo and both were able to crack the national team.

I think he will do well playing bwp's position. He doesnt need to create his own shots... doesnt need speed to be succesful. He just needs to know how to position him self to score which he has shown he can do at rbny 2. He is a classic poacher. In min... he needs to do a lot more since he has no service. Dont think its a good set up for him there.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Same thing was said abt woly and wondo and both were able to crack the national team.

I think he will do well playing bwp's position. He doesnt need to create his own shots... doesnt need speed to be succesful. He just needs to know how to position him self to score which he has shown he can do at rbny 2. He is a classic poacher. In min... he needs to do a lot more since he has no service. Dont think its a good set up for him there.

Putting him in the same sentence as BWP is one of the crazier things that has ever been said on these boards. USL is not very good so producing at that level in no way proves you can play at MLS level.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

Difference is that the Triple A guys get a shot. Allen has played all of 7 minutes in MLS.

Heath not playing him shows that there must be something lacking. He doesn't have speed and doesn't look up frequently but he can score goals.

I still think he ends up somewhere in MLS as a regular sub.
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Difference is that the Triple A guys get a shot. Allen has played all of 7 minutes in MLS.

Heath not playing him shows that there must be something lacking. He doesn't have speed and doesn't look up frequently but he can score goals.

I still think he ends up somewhere in MLS as a regular sub.

Sometimes Triple A guys don't even get a shot.  

And the shot for Allen is in practices.  If he was dominating there, he'd be playing.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Putting him in the same sentence as BWP is one of the crazier things that has ever been said on these boards. USL is not very good so producing at that level in no way proves you can play at MLS level.

Did you read what i said? I didnt say they were equal in talent. I said they play the same position. How is that crazy?

You are always going to have hits and misses when you promote USL players to the main squad. But a guy that scores in bunches should be given a shot.

In marsh's system, he should do well. There is no evidence that shows he wont be succesful. And if he does suck, then by giving an opportunity we know that he isnt good enough for a roster spot.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
The fact that he can't get on the field for an awful expansion team seems to indicate that he's not that good.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,273 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

There was a play somewhere in those seven minutes where Allen picked up the ball near midfield, nobody within 20 yards of him and nothing but daylight between him in the opposing box. It took Will Johnson, who had already played ~85 minutes and isn't exactly an olympic sprinter, all of about 2 seconds to close the distance and dispossess Allen.

At some point, I can see the lack of foot speed being a deal breaker no matter what he does well.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

There was a play somewhere in those seven minutes where Allen picked up the ball near midfield, nobody within 20 yards of him and nothing but daylight between him in the opposing box. It took Will Johnson, who had already played ~85 minutes and isn't exactly an olympic sprinter, all of about 2 seconds to close the distance and dispossess Allen.

At some point, I can see the lack of foot speed being a deal breaker no matter what he does well.

Exactly... There is a reason great players with know-how fall off.  There is a minimum acceptable amount of athleticism and skill you must have.  Otherwise successful strikers would be playing until they're 50.  Robbie Keane lost a step and there was a significant drop-off and he wasn't worth having.  

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Exactly... There is a reason great players with know-how fall off.  There is a minimum acceptable amount of athleticism and skill you must have.  Otherwise successful strikers would be playing until they're 50.  Robbie Keane lost a step and there was a significant drop-off and he wasn't worth having.  

Not a fair comparison as your argument completely ignores wages. Robbie Keane wasn't worth having at a DP salary and I'm sure he didn't need or want to play for  another year or two at 100-200k. But I'd love to have Robbie Keane poaching in the box for 10-15 minutes a game at 100k. We all loved Henry at 37 and everyone thought he could play another year or two for sure, didn't we? (Sure, maybe not in Marsch's high pressing approach, but that's another matter.)

Now if your only/main quality was speed and you lost it, that's a different story entirely (SWP).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users