gprime85

The Hooligan Reverend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts
  • Interests:beer.
  • Supports:RBNY CELTIC USA West Ham

I'm not sure I know you, but you must have been polite and respectful. :cheers:

that sounds like me...but no i didn't give away my identity :ph34r: when i came in for a purchase a little while ago you did chat me a up some. don't mean anything by it one way or the other, just saying.
{GSS}
"So wait, a brace is when someone scores 2 goals." "Yep." "...and a hat trick is 3 goals." "Right." "So than what's 5 goals? Is there a name for that?" "A Mathis."
In Soler/Backe We Trust.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,999 posts
  • Supports:Metro

What a week it's already been...

1) ILikeBeet/ILikeILikeBeet

This was great. One of the better threads I've read on this forum.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

kubrick74

kubrick74

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Supports:Metro FC / US Nats
I think all this huffing and puffing will be moot anyway about 3/4 in to the first season at RBA.

I think it's pretty well agreed that they are saving the bulk of their marketing/advertising efforts for when they are there.

Once the initial novelty and newness of a new stadium, neighborhood, etc. wears off, we'll see what kind of loyalty and fan base they have built for themselves and if their bet hedging paid off.

The Metrologist

The Metrologist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Compared to people in Mississippi, Michigan, North Carolina, etc, etc. who still have no team of their own,

Of course all those places have teams of their own to follow. They don't have to sit there waiting for some altruistic benefactor to deliver them from soccer purgatory.
They have colleges, high schools, amateur and semi-pro and lower division teams in all those states and regions. And in those places, people that actually care about soccer do follow them and their scenes. They may not be great, but they are cared about and followed. You could have always done the same here, even before Santa Claus dropped an MLS team off for you. What's there to feel so damn "fortunate" about? Soccer's always been around and it always will be, if that's what you're after.
No one makes TV commercials to get people to look at their billboards.

The Metrologist

The Metrologist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

I think it's pretty well agreed that they are saving the bulk of their marketing/advertising efforts for when they are there.

Yes, it's pretty well agreed by the denizens of the Bigsoccer Metro board echo chamber. Best unfounded assumption EVER.

Though it's not the stupidest assumption that's going around. THAT is the assumption that whatever "efforts" they're keeping under their hat will actually work. Selling MLS soccer to Americans in general, and to the NYC area in particular, is one of the great mysteries of our times. It's practically never been done successfully. In this market in particular, many have tried and all have failed. But you're telling me a soda company's already got it in the bag. Juuuuuuuuust hanging on to it, keeping it to themselves for a little while - four years or so.

They must be incredibly stupid or incredibly fond of wasting cash and pissing loyal fans off.

Remember during the election debates, when John McCain publicly stated "I know how to get Bin Laden," as if that claim would increase the voters faith in him? The logical response, of course, was "You fucking fool, why don't you tell someone already, then? Get started on it NOW, dickhead."

The same basic thing holds here, only instead of RB making the claim, it's some of their increasingly desperate fans. If RB actually knew what to do to increase interest in the team, outside of unzipping duffel bags full of cash from helicopters over Harrison, you would see some sign of it already, "bulk of their efforts" or no. Do you?

kubrick74

kubrick74

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Supports:Metro FC / US Nats

Yes, it's pretty well agreed by the denizens of the Bigsoccer Metro board echo chamber. Best unfounded assumption EVER.

Though it's not the stupidest assumption that's going around. THAT is the assumption that whatever "efforts" they're keeping under their hat will actually work. Selling MLS soccer to Americans in general, and to the NYC area in particular, is one of the great mysteries of our times. It's practically never been done successfully. In this market in particular, many have tried and all have failed. But you're telling me a soda company's already got it in the bag. Juuuuuuuuust hanging on to it, keeping it to themselves for a little while - four years or so.

They must be incredibly stupid or incredibly fond of wasting cash and pissing loyal fans off.

Remember during the election debates, when John McCain publicly stated "I know how to get Bin Laden," as if that claim would increase the voters faith in him? The logical response, of course, was "You fucking fool, why don't you tell someone already, then? Get started on it NOW, dickhead."

The same basic thing holds here, only instead of RB making the claim, it's some of their increasingly desperate fans. If RB actually knew what to do to increase interest in the team, outside of unzipping duffel bags full of cash from helicopters over Harrison, you would see some sign of it already, "bulk of their efforts" or no. Do you?

Ok, I'll rephrase. I think it's pretty well agreed that Red Bull believes their fortunes will change when they are in RBA. Those fortunes are in many ways tied in to whatever advertising/marketing efforts they have endeavored to put forth.

Nevertheless, you ignored the main point that we wont know if their efforts are in vain or not until 2/3, or 3/4 in to the first season, or maybe sometime in the second season when we and RBNY will see how many have stuck around past the initial novelty stage of RBA.

The Metrologist

The Metrologist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Ok, I'll rephrase. I think it's pretty well agreed that Red Bull believes their fortunes will change when they are in RBA.

That I can agree with. It's the thought that RB has some silver marketing bullet waiting to be fired in 2010, an idea that began among hopeful fans and has spun around in the echo chamber ad infinitum until it's become truth, that I take issue with.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,999 posts

Of course all those places have teams of their own to follow. They don't have to sit there waiting for some altruistic benefactor to deliver them from soccer purgatory.
They have colleges, high schools, amateur and semi-pro and lower division teams in all those states and regions. And in those places, people that actually care about soccer do follow them and their scenes. They may not be great, but they are cared about and followed. You could have always done the same here, even before Santa Claus dropped an MLS team off for you. What's there to feel so damn "fortunate" about? Soccer's always been around and it always will be, if that's what you're after.

There's a big difference between amateur, semi-pro leagues, and a full time national league.

There is an allure of a national league which is what has us interested in this league. It's the best league that is locally accesible to us.

You're really picking at word usage when it's unnecessary to do so. I think you understand what I mean in my prior post.

Look.. I live in North Jersey. I have a 10 mile or so drive to Giants Stadium (will be 18 miles to Harrison). This is my local team. The team in our national league in the greatest area in the world (NYC Metro Area).

I still don't care what it is called.

Next you will ask... Do you sing Metro or Red Bull?

Metro is a nickname for this team. Always has been and will continue to be. The Front Office doesn't have to like it, but it is a nickname for the team. So, I sing Metro for songs that were created with the Metro name in it.

If songs are created using a Red Bulls variant, I will use that one. I personally don't have anything against Red Bull. They have invested more into this franchise than AEG ever had.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

MetroTard

MetroTard

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Supports:Eric D

and not like somewhere in hell's kitchen or some shit...

Slow down. Hell's Kitchen has a bar that shows every game. Ahem.

ediddy

ediddy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Never met you before, but I'd like to.

Seems like he has :pint:

I used to have a couple of funny things here but I can no longer find them.

anamorican

anamorican

Agent of Nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Supports:Monster

Slow down. Hell's Kitchen has a bar that shows every game. Ahem.

And Daredevil.

SmittyNNJ

SmittyNNJ

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Celtic

Glad to see another Paramus resident on this board Jay. Also, mine was a self-imposed exile. Here's hoping that, maybe just for ol times sake, Dan doesn't ban me. Of course, if the majority want me to stay away then I will. So, c'mon - who wants the viper back???

watch party @ the Orange Lantern? Getting back to the thread title, if executed properly, I like this concept. Speaking of Paramus, too bad they couldn't get this on the the side of the Garden State Mall, its another high traffic area in Jersey, not far from the stadium and people come from all over to go there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users