Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Doyle says promote Tom Barlow

one-move-each-team-transfer-window-closes

https://www.mlssocce...r-window-closes

Barlow presents an element of physicality at center forward that the Red Bulls haven't had since Adolfo "El Tren" Valencia 20 years ago.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Barlow presents an element of physicality at center forward that the Red Bulls haven't had since Adolfo "El Tren" Valencia 20 years ago.

Valencia was only good for one season:
http://www.metrofana...layer.jsp?ID=85
http://www.metrofana...r.jsp?YEAR=2001

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Doyle says promote Tom Barlow

He clearly doesn't remember Ibrahim Salou (Salou Ibrahim?).

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

He clearly doesn't remember Ibrahim Salou.

Who does?
http://www.metrofana...ayer.jsp?ID=224

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

He clearly doesn't remember Ibrahim Salou (Salou Ibrahim?).

Or Tim Cahill... jozy Altidore...

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
As much as I like Tom Barlow, hes still very raw. 1v1 against the keeper is a crapshoot with him and takes some awful shots.
These things are teachable. Barlow barely saw time until later in the season after improving dramatically.
He needs time at the USL level so as to not interrupt his progress.

Brandon Allen tore up the USL as well. Granted what he lacked really couldnt be taught.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

What I wonder with Barlow is that if he has the quickness needed.  I love his will and the want-to.  You definitely can't teach those things and that dude goes on the field when the mentality of imposing his will on the game.   Now where someone like White has adequate short area quickness that you need for MLS, I'm not sure Barlow has it.  He's a long strider who's pretty fast over distance so that pays off in certain moments.

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Interests:Futbol, linux, hunting, drinking beer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Up until last night I'd say Barlow was much closer to prime time than Jorgensen.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Those of you here who watch RB2 more than me - how would you compare Barlow to Brian White? 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Barlow's more of a tank. White reminds me of Taylor Twellman's abilities. We wouldn't have to waive anyone to make room for Barlow if the team promotes him, would we?

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Barlow's more of a tank. White reminds me of Taylor Twellman's abilities. We wouldn't have to waive anyone to make room for Barlow if the team promotes him, would we?

We would not. There are two open senior spots. If we put Valot on IR, it opens another spot (in addition to an INTL slot). Signs are pointing to Valot returning earlier than expected, by needs to ensure those knees aren't Stuart Holden-esque.

Brian White is very skilled but doesn't always make the right runs. If hes alone with the keeper, hes likely burying it, but his positioning often leads to shots being taken with a defender or two still to beat. He has dramatically improved in this area this season, however.

Tom Barlow is always in the right spots but sometimes takes horrible shots. Quicker and more of a head-in-the-game than another MLS fringe player in Brandon Allen, but not as good 1v1 with keepers. He misses more open goals than he scores on, but he has more of those opportunities.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

We would not. There is an open reserve spot and two open senior spots. If we put Valot on IR, it opens another spot (in addition to an INTL slot). Signs are pointing to Valot returning earlier than expected, by needs to ensure those knees aren't Stuart Holden-esque.

Brian White is very skilled but doesn't always make the right runs. If hes alone with the keeper, hes likely burying it, but his positioning often leads to shots being taken with a defender or two still to beat. He has dramatically improved in this area this season, however.

Tom Barlow is always in the right spots but sometimes takes horrible shots. Quicker and more of a head-in-the-game than another MLS fringe player in Brandon Allen, but not as good 1v1 with keepers. He misses more open goals than he scores on, but he has more of those opportunities.

Do either of them seem like they'd work in a two-striker setup next to BWP?

I ask because I'm going to keep banging this drum because I think BWP is too immobile to be a lone striker these days.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Do either of them seem like they'd work in a two-striker setup next to BWP?

I ask because I'm going to keep banging this drum because I think BWP is too immobile to be a lone striker these days.

The question isn't if they can work in a two-striker setup with B Dubs, the question is if B Dubs can work in a two-striker setup with anyone at all.    History hasn't shown he can.   Anytime its been tried, he drops back deep into an apparently self-appointed creative role, defeating the purpose.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

The question isn't if they can work in a two-striker setup with B Dubs, the question is if B Dubs can work in a two-striker setup with anyone at all.    History hasn't shown he can. Anytime its been tried, he drops back deep into an apparently self-appointed creative role, defeating the purpose.

Think you've said this before, but why do you think it's self-appointed and not manager-mandated? BWP doesn't strike me as the type of player to disregard managers' instructions.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Think you've said this before, but why do you think it's self-appointed and not manager-mandated? BWP doesn't strike me as the type of player to disregard managers' instructions.

I remember Henry yelling at bwp because of this issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users