27 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,953 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Not saying were not that, but unlike Philly we're a failing club with a dwindling fanbase and a completely uninterested owner. Not exactly an easy set up to succeed and impress Europeean clubs from.

No where to go but up!   Who wants to take on a successful club?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,912 posts
Also too bad they couldnt keep Claudio Reyna around and engaged after he stopped playing. He has been sporting director for NYC and Austin which is not a bad track record over the last 7 or so years.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

that scout was fired for reportedly leaking internal Salzburg Leipzig scouting data/passwords etc

that is extremely spicy.  looks to be running an agency now that is cushy with the Union. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Not saying were not that, but unlike Philly we're a failing club with a dwindling fanbase and a completely uninterested owner. Not exactly an easy set up to succeed and impress Europeean clubs from.

Im sure it had more to do with his time at Wolves, but Thelwell went from here to Everton.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • Supports:New York

You can't argue with his record, he's been great.

I think at times people get lost in the total numbers, and the amount of bitching we do about RB not caring about this or that. Philly is proving that you can spend a reasonable amount, and if you do it really well and keep some continuity, you can get success. I don't ask RBFO for the Real Madrid Galacticos, just put a squad out there with a legitimate shot to win each year. Luis Robles said that even when we were really good, we needed that one extra piece. So, get us good again, then add that one extra piece. It's not impossible.

Another key part of this is Curtain, who has grown over time as a coach. They stuck with the guy when he went 9th, 6th, 8th and 6th in his first four full seasons, and then in the last few years the results have been quite good. I know Petke wasn't exactly Tata Martino over here, but, the hope was that over time he'd grow as well (and, he did have early success, followed by some meh seasons). I'd love to find an ex-MLS guy to coach our team and stick with him for a while the way Philly has grown w/Curtain. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Another key part of this is Curtain, who has grown over time as a coach. They stuck with the guy when he went 9th, 6th, 8th and 6th in his first four full seasons, and then in the last few years the results have been quite good. I know Petke wasn't exactly Tata Martino over here, but, the hope was that over time he'd grow as well (and, he did have early success, followed by some meh seasons). I'd love to find an ex-MLS guy to coach our team and stick with him for a while the way Philly has grown w/Curtain. 

Curtain has definitely grown as a coach, but probably not as much as the difference in finishes suggest. Philly was a pretty poorly run franchise until Tanner got there. Dont forget who built the team that Curtain was coaching when he first started. Its not a coincidence Curtains record became great as Tanner arrived.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,394 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Curtin

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Curtin

autocorrect

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I don't ask RBFO for the Real Madrid Galacticos, just put a squad out there with a legitimate shot to win each year. Luis Robles said that even when we were really good, we needed that one extra piece. So, get us good again, then add that one extra piece. It's not impossible.

If the 5M spent on Klimala got us a striker actually performing like someone worth 5M, we would have had a legitimate shot this season.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

If the 5M spent on Klimala got us a striker actually performing like someone worth 5M, we would have had a legitimate shot this season.

this can never be emphasized enough.  If we got 15-20 goal contributions (G+A) from our best FWD a lot of the other issues would look like cracks.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • Supports:New York

Yep, that's true. Big offseason for the new guy to see who he can dump, and who he can get to replace them with. We also took some flyers on guys like Fabio & Fletcher that totally didn't work out, which if they had, we'd feel a lot better too. 

Flip side of this argument is that we were one Lewis Morgan trade away from 11th place, but, anyway, they did spend the MLS funny money to get him; hopefully we can find more youngish players like him, and then sprinkle in some vets. Our team was comically young this year, like almost to the point that there was a secret Olympics U-23 recruiting event going on that we didn't know about with our one overage goalie and a roster of people who think of Britney Spears as a 'old person'. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
The u23 thing is a feature, not a bug. We were lucky that they threw us a bit of a bone by bringing in relative veterans in Morgan and Luquinhas last winter (Fletcher too, if he worked out)

The team frequently boasts about the youth of the roster and the fact that they managed a meager accomplishment of a home playoff match, but as far as we know no one is holding a gun to their head and forcing this type of roster.

Unfortunately under foreign ownership they lose the forest for the trees a bit and forget that this is still an American sports franchise. The things that they could get away with in Europe isnt necessarily going to fly here, we arent Salzburg.

When is the last time this team had at least 1 player that people are going to come out to RBA to see play? If you dont have that likable core that we had from 2015-2018, then you need at least 1 big personality to drive things forward, right now this team has zero personality.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, USA, PR libre

I don't ask RBFO for the Real Madrid Galacticos, just put a squad out there with a legitimate shot to win each year. Luis Robles said that even when we were really good, we needed that one extra piece. 

At his heavy press conference after the Atlanta playoff loss Robles said something to the effect of "look at who they had coming off the bench compared to us..." which sounded like a deeper criticism of talent acquisition beyond missing That One Last Piece.

Agreed on galácticos though. Moneyball with a 50th percentile budget and great scouting (and a coach/system/club guys want to play for?) can take us everywhere we want to go. And THAT'S when you bring in the next Henry. Forget one last piece poverty franchise crap. LOAD FOR BEAR, then put a cherry on top. With sprinkles.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users