sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

He's coaching DCU???

Fair comment but they get a pass because they are just treading water until the new stadium next year.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Fair comment but they get a pass because they are just treading water until the new stadium next year.

It was meant as a fair comment, just a humorous interlude at DC's expense. : )

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

1 in 6 tries, same as Jesse.

1 for 6 got Petke fired, but not Jesse.

While we are unlikely to win 3 this year, Marsch still has a shot at 4 in 9 attempts.

You're telling me he still has a shot?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

2 shots at winning a trophy this season. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

1 for 6 got Petke fired, but not Jesse.

You're telling me he still has a shot?

Read what I said. The supporters shield is unlikely, but still possible. The Open Cup and MLS Cup are certainly in play.

Why all the hate for Jesse? He didn't fire Petke. He also has had to coach after Austria decided to shut down the budget. No TH14 level talent for him to utilize. He's not the greatest coach in the world, but he's done pretty well for us and I think he is learning and getting better. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Why all the hate for Jesse? 

I don't express or see any hatred for Jesse. I continue to be upset with the way Mike was treated, both by the FO & by some here who seem to think that the team flourished despite him, not because of him.
The last thing I want to see, is for Jesse to receive the same treatment. IMO, stability in the coach position is important in establishing and continuing a tradition of success. I also hope that Jesse doesn't jump ship for a European job, whether with RB or elsewhere.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think things are kind of the opposite.  Your love of Petke is just making you sensitive to anything that MIGHT be considered a slight.  I can't even count how many times i said Petke's a good coach just in the last page of the thread.  I just think Marsch is a better coach than Petke, it's no more complicated than that. There's nothing personal behind it, it's no slight to Petke. Dude is a legend here, no problem with that. In the same breath, I also would take Pareja or Vermes over Marsch.  No heart involved, I think those are just the right moves. 

Maybe their young CB?  I'm even a fan of Collin and Long but I'd take Glad a hundred times out of a hundred.  Beltran starts on our team at RB easily.  Plata. Rusnak and Savarino are good freaking players too.  That team is not a wasteland.  That and Petke being a good coach that will get them to play hard is why they probably make the playoffs.  

Rusnak, Savarino and Beltran are not every day starters on this team.  Certainly not this version of Beltran anyway, who's been just as big a liability on that backline as anyone else.  Glad's a good young CB, you'd probably take him over Long at this stage in his career.

My issue with your whole line of commentary throughout this thread is that you're unwilling and/or unable to recognize how bad the RSL situation had gotten.  There's no qualifier necessary with that.  RSL at the beginning of this season under Cassar was the second worst team in the league, second only to a glorified NASL squad up in Minnesota.  The depth and starters on that team are significantly worse than the one here, and frankly worse than a large percentage of the teams in this league as a whole.  They were a mess under Cassar.  

#RedBullOut

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Rusnak, Savarino and Beltran are not every day starters on this team.  Certainly not this version of Beltran anyway, who's been just as big a liability on that backline as anyone else.  Glad's a good young CB, you'd probably take him over Long at this stage in his career.

My issue with your whole line of commentary throughout this thread is that you're unwilling and/or unable to recognize how bad the RSL situation had gotten.  There's no qualifier necessary with that.  RSL at the beginning of this season under Cassar was the second worst team in the league, second only to a glorified NASL squad up in Minnesota.  The depth and starters on that team are significantly worse than the one here, and frankly worse than a large percentage of the teams in this league as a whole.  They were a mess under Cassar.  

It's basically the same squad, with the addition of some young players, that was a decent Western Conference team until the last part of the 2016 season.  We've seen this group of players be good before.  I think the point was we know they're capable of playing better than they had been under Cassar at the end.

These last few matches though, Mike has them the club playing beyond that level and he deserves all the credit for getting them there.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Yeah, it's just a difference of opinion on RSL's situation. I don't think they're that bad.  They made the playoffs last year with basically the same team minus Morales and he wasn't much to speak of last season.  Then you add guys like Glad and Lennon getting older and better and you have some serious players.  RSL is almost always in the top 5 with academies because they help build guys like Glad and Lennon.  

Cassar wasn't a good coach but he was also missing guys in the beginning of this season.  Petke himself mentioned that Glad was the spark they needed when he came back. 

As Mc mentioned, they are playing even better than their talent level right now so he deserves every bit of credit for that. I'm curious to see how the season plays out.  I've really wondered how good Petke was so he's getting a legit chance to show it.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
Came across this, from a year ago:

I don't express or see any hatred for Jesse. I continue to be upset with the way Mike was treated, both by the FO & by some here who seem to think that the team flourished despite him, not because of him.
The last thing I want to see, is for Jesse to receive the same treatment. IMO, stability in the coach position is important in establishing and continuing a tradition of success. I also hope that Jesse doesn't jump ship for a European job, whether with RB or elsewhere.

So much for stability in the coaching position.
Meanwhile, Mike just had his best week at RSL.
Back-to-back home wins over SKC & FCD.
Dropped home opener, 8-0-0 since.
https://www.sltrib.c...real-salt-lake/

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
Mike Freakin Petke channels his inner Fina!
http://www.espn.com/...n-postgame-rant

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
Was just coming to post this

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Was just coming to post this

My post edited to acknowledge your inspiration.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
Petkie is God. That is all.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

magicmoron

magicmoron