827 replies to this topic

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

A new coach likely won't result in us signing more talented players. Budgets and global synergy are the biggest driving factor for style of play and personnel on the pitch, I suspect. Maybe a new manager can cob together a more effective scouting department, if that even falls within their domain of responsibility these days.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
No reason to change manager.
The guy shown ability to adjust and learn. Obviously breaking down a bunkering team and some other stuff needs work.
Get a better winger and let's see

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

I'm a believer that if you're going to change coaches you damn well better be sure there's someone equal or better than him that's available to step in. You can make this case for Sigi, but outside of him is there really anyone available to coach at this present moment that's equal or better than Jesse? I don't see it. And the issues with this team don't as much stem from tactics as they do the personnel that's being asked to implement said tactics. And even then... how much can you blame Jesse for it. If the club wasn't dicking around all winter trying to buy out Ali and we had someone in place who could try to buy players to fix our deficiencies maybe we wouldn't be in this position.

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

My biggest problem with Marsch is that over and over again when things go bad his response is "I don't know what the problem is."  He said it AGAIN after the Montreal game.

If he wants my vote to stay he can't keep saying things like "I don't know why we can't score more goals...I don't know why we've given up so many set piece goals...I don't know why we crumble in the playoffs...I mean HEY LOOK AT OUR POSSESSION NUMBERS!"

He needs to know what the problems are and he needs to fix them.

During the USMNT halftime interview with our old pal Bruce said "Possession means nothing.  We're not playing the ball quick enough, we're not playing it forward quick enough, they're getting 10 players behind the ball, doing a good job pressuring the ball and catching us on the break. we've got to do a better job with our spacing, play forward quicker and be more aggressive in getting at them."

Well here's a coach who can state clearly what the problem is and how he's going to try and fix it.  And gee doesn't that description sound a whole lot like another team we're all familiar with?  And hmmmm lets think about this...what player additions could fix this type of problem?  Oh I don't know...maybe a CB that can distribute the ball quickly and accurately?  Maybe a creative attacking midfielder?

Marsch has got to sign 2 players, fix the set piece problem, forget about f#cking possession and get the team playing the ball faster all the way from the backline forward and with more decisiveness in the final third.

Those are the f#cking problems and he can't figure that out?!  Give me a break.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
The way I look at it, at some point this club needs to consistently churn out wins or results on the road to have any shot at winning MLS Cup.

They have been shit on the road for years now. Until that gets better, they will never be able to get through a couple 2-game series to reach the Cup final, or win the Cup final if they aren't hosting.

Since away goals are counted in the manner in which they are, it is required that teams put a couple balls in the back of the net when they play their road legs of a playoff series. Otherwise the mountain becomes too hard to climb in the second leg if they lose the first game and concede at least once in the second.

Whether it's blown leads, getting destroyed or simply not showing up, Marsch is a proven loser when it comes to coaching his players outside of Red Bull Arena. That is not up for debate.

How many seasons are we going to go through this before the problem gets fixed?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The way I look at it, at some point this club needs to consistently churn out wins or results on the road to have any shot at winning MLS Cup.

They have been shit on the road for years now. Until that gets better, they will never be able to get through a couple 2-game series to reach the Cup final, or win the Cup final if they aren't hosting.

Since away goals are counted in the manner in which they are, it is required that teams put a couple balls in the back of the net when they play their road legs of a playoff series. Otherwise the mountain becomes too hard to climb in the second leg if they lose the first game and concede at least once in the second.

Whether it's blown leads, getting destroyed or simply not showing up, Marsch is a proven loser when it comes to coaching his players outside of Red Bull Arena. That is not up for debate.

How many seasons are we going to go through this before the problem gets fixed?

You realize that every MLS team sucks on the road, right? There are four teams still in 2017 without a single road win. Teams that win more than 4 on the road all season are the exception and not the rule in this league.

We had one of the best road records in the league in 2015, and middle of the pack in 2016. Its been worse this year, but let's not act like this has been a pain point under Marsch.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
We don't need to WIN road games but we MUST score road goals.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

http://www.americans...m/team-xg-2017/

We have the second highest expected goals in the league, and the largest difference between actual goals for and xGF (and the third highest difference between xGD and GD). That is a pretty dramatic difference and explains a lot. I think we've been particularly unlucky, and some patience on the offensive end probably is warranted. The other thing that I've pointed out elsewhere is that when we miss chances and go down, Sacha begins to drift farther and farther away from goal so he's less in a position to put our offensive in a place to score.  The arguments on the offense are twofold: first that we are slow and second without Dax, nobody puts Sacha in a position to make the final pass. On the former, we absolutely steamrolled everybody in the second half of last season with the same group of guys, so I don't buy the speed argument at all. On the latter point, Dax last year was not that hot and Davis spelled him a ton throughout the season. Sacha despite being off still has put in a ton of key passes, but we just have been unlucky on the finishing end. 

Defense is a bit more worrying and honestly confusing.  First off we've given up a lot of PKs and set piece goals. That was not true in 2015 and 2016. What is worrying is that we do not have a solid partner for Long right now (LB and LCB have been very solid, and RB has been fine), and who knows which Collin we will get. Robles has also been superb this year for the most part. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

We gave up a single goal on the road, that isn't bad. As was said above, not scoring road goals is an issue. You don't need to win your away games in the postseason, but you have to score.

I'll buy the argument that the defense and the deep lying CMs don't do enough to distribute the ball and get our attack going.

But I don't think you can say we scored a bunch of goals last year and we have the same guys in our attack this year, we'll be ok. Sacha is a year older, Grella is a year older and had hernia surgery and a knee issue since last season. Also, that great offense has been thwarted the last two postseasons. So we've never been able to score goals on the big games, even when Dax was here.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

We gave up a single goal on the road, that isn't bad. As was said above, not scoring road goals is an issue. You don't need to win your away games in the postseason, but you have to score.

I'll buy the argument that the defense and the deep lying CMs don't do enough to distribute the ball and get our attack going.

But I don't think you can say we scored a bunch of goals last year and we have the same guys in our attack this year, we'll be ok. Sacha is a year older, Grella is a year older and had hernia surgery and a knee issue since last season. Also, that great offense has been thwarted the last two postseasons. So we've never been able to score goals on the big games, even when Dax was here.

We scored 61 goals last year, second most after NYCFC who scored 62. I am not blindly saying we should be fine, but I do think there is a bit of bad luck with how the team has been playing. Dropping off from leading the league to being in the bottom quarter, even in bizarro MLS, is pretty stark.

And yes, Sacha is older. As is BWP. Grella who had a bigger role on the team in the first half of the year than the second, really isn't the same player as he was in 2015. Royer looked much more comfortable last year before his injury than this season (I also believe a healthy Royer in the playoffs last season gets us to MLS Cup). Veron again looked good in pre-season and his first game in CCL< but succumbed to injury and has not hit any useful gear. Muyl has had looks but doesn't provide enough on the final ball. A lot can be said about all of these factors contributing to the lack of scoring.

But if I was Marsch and had a big sum of money to spend (which he seems to have), I go for an athletic CB who can distribute the ball, rather than an offensive player. That's just my take on the state of the team. I don't think Collin or Perinelle are long-term solutions. Who knows about Baah.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

We scored 61 goals last year, second most after NYCFC who scored 62. I am not blindly saying we should be fine, but I do think there is a bit of bad luck with how the team has been playing. Dropping off from leading the league to being in the bottom quarter, even in bizarro MLS, is pretty stark.

And yes, Sacha is older. As is BWP. Grella who had a bigger role on the team in the first half of the year than the second, really isn't the same player as he was in 2015. Royer looked much more comfortable last year before his injury than this season (I also believe a healthy Royer in the playoffs last season gets us to MLS Cup). Veron again looked good in pre-season and his first game in CCL< but succumbed to injury and has not hit any useful gear. Muyl has had looks but doesn't provide enough on the final ball. A lot can be said about all of these factors contributing to the lack of scoring.

But if I was Marsch and had a big sum of money to spend (which he seems to have), I go for an athletic CB who can distribute the ball, rather than an offensive player. That's just my take on the state of the team. I don't think Collin or Perinelle are long-term solutions. Who knows about Baah.

Do you feel comfortable in the postseason with Grella or Muyl as your starting winger?  Because unless Marsch decides to give Etienne another run of games and he plays well, one of those two would be our starting winger if we don't add one in the window.

I think the book is out on Grella - if you play off him, there's much he can do.  He can't beat you 1v1 as long as you give him space, he just doesn't have the pace.  He's a smart player, but he almost needs the defender to come at him to get by him (kind of like a martial artist that uses an opponent's momentum in a takedown).

And Sacha & BWP need the wingers to produce, otherwise it's too easy to shut them down.  It's what Montreal did in the playoffs.  They gave Grella & Muyl space, and neither was able to do anything.  This allowed Montreal to focus and shut down Sacha & BWP.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
Well maybe we'd do better if you stopped telling everyone how to neutralize all our players! ;)

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Do you feel comfortable in the postseason with Grella or Muyl as your starting winger?  Because unless Marsch decides to give Etienne another run of games and he plays well, one of those two would be our starting winger if we don't add one in the window.

I think the book is out on Grella - if you play off him, there's much he can do.  He can't beat you 1v1 as long as you give him space, he just doesn't have the pace.  He's a smart player, but he almost needs the defender to come at him to get by him (kind of like a martial artist that uses an opponent's momentum in a takedown).

And Sacha & BWP need the wingers to produce, otherwise it's too easy to shut them down.  It's what Montreal did in the playoffs.  They gave Grella & Muyl space, and neither was able to do anything.  This allowed Montreal to focus and shut down Sacha & BWP.

I personally am fine with Muyl, because within the system and his ability to track back he gives greater license to Felipe/Davis/Adams to step up into space and force opposing teams to adjust. This alone should put BWP/Sacha/??? in positions to exploit weaknesses. The issue has been more the opposite wing where Royer/Grella/Veron/Gulf/Etienne/ so far this year have not been sharp enough (as seen by our xG versus GF statistics). 

Having said that, I still think and have stated before, we should be working with the 4-2-2-2. Two forwards up top is always more dangerous than one working alone. The 4-2-3-1 is too easy to isolate BWP and Sacha, and we often get exposed to Route 1 ball. We need to be able to vary our looks and the situations opposing teams face. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

I personally am fine with Muyl, because within the system and his ability to track back he gives greater license to Felipe/Davis/Adams to step up into space and force opposing teams to adjust. This alone should put BWP/Sacha/??? in positions to exploit weaknesses. The issue has been more the opposite wing where Royer/Grella/Veron/Gulf/Etienne/ so far this year have not been sharp enough (as seen by our xG versus GF statistics).

Agree about Muyl when we're playing a team with a strong winger or a team that plays out of the back. But if you have a team that's just playing long balls and sitting back, he offers very little.

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut

Marsch has tried formation changes, but he still pretty much relies solely on the high press to generate offense.   He's never implemented anything to help break down an opposing team that is just going to bunker.  He never chooses a Starting XI based on how the game is going to play out.  Like, why is Muyl, our best defensive winger, on the bench against Patti, one of the top offensive wingers in the league?

When I say he's inflexible, I'm talking about his ideas to generate offense and his squad selection.

Offense that is created from individuals breaking down defense is a byproduct of individuals that can break down defenses. At best we have Sasha, Felipe and Grella. That means teams won't be taken apart at a skills level.

Muyl is fine but he's not necessarily winning the 1v1 battle. Grella can do it but he's not been as good this year. Veron hasn't shown any ability to not simply run in a straight line.

What you want is a specific player. That is and isn't on the manager.

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users