15 replies to this topic

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Regardless, if we had to trade to get the discovery rights and match the pay DC was offering, we would be complaining that we pay too much for players that haven't proved themselves.

My complaint is not and would not be that the team overpays to sign players who have not proved themselves.  My complaint is the team does not sign players who have proved themselves, full stop.  The last time we signed a proven player who was a clear upgrade was 4 years ago when we signed Kaku.  

Look at the roster now.  I do not think a single guy on the roster could be defined as a "proven player" (taken mean proven to be better than the average MLS player) at the time he was signed by RBNY.  Some are proven players now (Long and Coronel for example) but none were when they were signed by the team. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

My complaint is not and would not be that the team overpays to sign players who have not proved themselves.  My complaint is the team does not sign players who have proved themselves, full stop.  The last time we signed a proven player who was a clear upgrade was 4 years ago when we signed Kaku.  

Look at the roster now.  I do not think a single guy on the roster could be defined as a "proven player" (taken mean proven to be better than the average MLS player) at the time he was signed by RBNY.  Some are proven players now (Long and Coronel for example) but none were when they were signed by the team. 

By far my biggest gripe with this team. Forget the Vela's or Zlatan's or Insigne's, can we just get the next Royer at this point? Someone who has played a season in a somewhat decent league? Like 25+ caps in a top 15-20 league even? Way too many times it's a trialist from some second division or an unproven kid. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Great academy guys will leave. Cant stop it.

We need balance.

Great academy guys.
Good academy guys that WILL stay.
Great foreign signings that we flip for $
Good foreign signing that will stay.
Great domestic signings that will leave.
Good domestic signings that will stay.
Young guys
Guys in their prime
Old guys for leadership

We are completely out of balance. I hate it.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

We are completely out of balance.

At least you didnt call us unbalanced.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

By far my biggest gripe with this team. Forget the Vela's or Zlatan's or Insigne's, can we just get the next Royer at this point? Someone who has played a season in a somewhat decent league? Like 25+ caps in a top 15-20 league even? Way too many times it's a trialist from some second division or an unproven kid. 

Lewis Morgan, >50 appearances for Miami. Is MLS a top 15-20 league? I would say yes. Wish granted.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Lewis Morgan, >50 appearances for Miami. Is MLS a top 15-20 league? I would say yes. Wish granted.

Give us the Cup now! But you know what I mean...

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

At least you didnt call us unbalanced.

I would never go THAT far.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

RBNY Twitter has something about Tyler Adams admiring Thiery Henry and begging to come to RBA to watch him play...

Who is the next Tyler Adams admiring and begging to watch? Patryk Fuckin' Klimala?

No, seriously, who?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Who is the next Tyler Adams admiring and begging to watch?

The two game changing DPs we will sign this offseason!

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

RBNY Twitter has something about Tyler Adams admiring Thiery Henry and begging to come to RBA to watch him play...

Who is the next Tyler Adams admiring and begging to watch? Patryk Fuckin' Klimala?

No, seriously, who?

Big Tommy Barlow

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Donovan had very public mental health issues that forced him out of Europe.  

Miazga was offered a DP deal, and has had plenty of opportunity to come back to MLS.    It is in no way clear that the career he's had over there is worse (in his view) than staying in MLS and always wondering how he would have done on the bigger stage.   You are 1000% alone in your thinking on this.

some players rather be the main guy instead of being the side kick or spectator. if you dont like the donovan example then there is josef martinez , arriola, zimmerman, nagbe, carlos gil...ect

As for Miazga, he ruined his career.  He cant even make it on the USMNT team and he looks terrible for Alaves. just the other day he passed the ball to a Betis forward who scored on a 1v1. 

if he wants an idea of what his career could have been if he stayed in MLS, he just has to look at Zimmerman. he was the better prospect , was the better player and he would have earned about the same as he did in Europe if he stayed. 

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Big Tommy Barlow

"When I was a kid, I always admired Tom's ability to be missing from any attacking play. I begged my parents to bring me to Red Bull Arena so I could watch him play and not do anything"

- Orange practice cone, probably

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

No, seriously, who?

Probably Taty Castellanos.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

some players rather be the main guy instead of being the side kick or spectator. if you dont like the donovan example then there is josef martinez , arriola, zimmerman, nagbe, carlos gil...ect

As for Miazga, he ruined his career.  He cant even make it on the USMNT team and he looks terrible for Alaves. just the other day he passed the ball to a Betis forward who scored on a 1v1. 

if he wants an idea of what his career could have been if he stayed in MLS, he just has to look at Zimmerman. he was the better prospect , was the better player and he would have earned about the same as he did in Europe if he stayed. 

I'm pretty sure Diego Llanez enjoyed it.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Probably Taty Castellanos.

Funny part is that most of you guys would have skewered Thelwell for a signing like Castellanos. Signed on loan as a teenager with barely a professional goal to his name, barely contributes at all his first half season before they exercised the purchase option, and has two seasons of good but not great production before finally having a breakout 2022.

To be fair its a slightly different story with NYCFC because they had already signed Maxi Morales as their veteran talisman before starting the project players, which is what most fans are asking for. But we're already signing plenty Taty Castellanos's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users