29 replies to this topic

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

The money and fact the league contractually cannot discuss broadcasting rights for few more years aside, saying no to the offer because it was on the condition to implement a pro/rel system is the right move IMO. We're just not setup for a pro/rel system.  Now is not the time.  Pro soccer is still finding its feet in this country's pro landscape compared to the big four who are more established.  Risking losing markets to relegation would destroy investment from owners, viewership, fans, sponsorship, ticket sales.  Think about what games at RBA would look like if we were playing in second tier? Big kit sponsors would no longer shell out big $$$ to sponsor a team that gets relegated next season and might not be seen on TV at all!  

I am not for this system, not for a very very very long time.    

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
From the very little I read on it sounded like bs
Love pro relegation but not for MLS at this time. Maybe in 30 years. They should tell all future owners this is possible.
This is the cosmos current owner? They have ~ 5 k for games in a rental turf stadium.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

The money and fact the league contractually cannot discuss broadcasting rights for few more years aside, saying no to the offer because it was on the condition to implement a pro/rel system is the right move IMO. We're just not setup for a pro/rel system.  Now is not the time.  Pro soccer is still finding its feet in this country's pro landscape compared to the big four who are more established.  Risking losing markets to relegation would destroy investment from owners, viewership, fans, sponsorship, ticket sales.  Think about what games at RBA would look like if we were playing in second tier? Big kit sponsors would no longer shell out big $$$ to sponsor a team that gets relegated next season and might not be seen on TV at all!  

I am not for this system, not for a very very very long time.    

I'm frankly stunned at the amount of attention this has gotten from the media and fans.  Everything concerning the bid, solution, etc is either irrelevant or fantasy. To avoid poisoning this beautiful metro forum I will leave it at that. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

From the very little I read on it sounded like bs
Love pro relegation but not for MLS at this time. Maybe in 30 years. They should tell all future owners this is possible.
This is the cosmos current owner? They have ~ 5 k for games in a rental turf stadium.

There is no "they."  The owners (current and future) decide what's best for themselves.    Any eventual pro-/rel agreement will almost certainly be funded by a TV deal (funding to include soft-landing payments for teams relegated, and a substantial one-time dividend to senior MLS owners).    They just didn't put enough money on the table yet.   With teams like Cinci getting 30,000 a game (and more like them on the horizon), big TV money will be coming, and pro/rel will happen a lot faster than most people think. 

Dead Horse status in 3....2...1....

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

MLS teams would never vote for pro/rel as they gain nothing and could lose everything. Understand that this deal would see them make more money, but obviously the risk of relegation and all the revenue is not worth it. Until every MLS team has a stadium 85% full every game, soccer won't be popular enough. MLS gets next to no coverage, and D2 gets nothing. Most D2 stadiums not up to par to be in MLS either. We're so far away, it's not funny. On the other hand, it would increase competition and possibly force teams to spend more and develop more talent. Some of the best MLS teams have the lowest salary totals though, so maybe it's pointless.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Was a bullshit offer... Silva knew they wouldn't go for it. Pro-Rel will never be added after the fact.  It's the type of thing that has to be done from the start because you're never going to convince owners to give up the certainty of revenue.  

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Was a bullshit offer... Silva knew they wouldn't go for it. Pro-Rel will never be added after the fact.  It's the type of thing that has to be done from the start because you're never going to convince owners to give up the certainty of revenue.  

Take $1.5B from the  next TV deal (MLS and 2nd Div combined) and give every MLS owner a one-time $50M dividend.  Have all the Second division teams kick in another $25M each.   Give every relegated team a $5 or $10M "soft landing" payment the year they go down.   The few weak owners worried about being permanently relegated will be outvoted by the rest.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

There is no "they."  The owners (current and future) decide what's best for themselves.    Any eventual pro-/rel agreement will almost certainly be funded by a TV deal (funding to include soft-landing payments for teams relegated, and a substantial one-time dividend to senior MLS owners).    They just didn't put enough money on the table yet.   With teams like Cinci getting 30,000 a game (and more like them on the horizon), big TV money will be coming, and pro/rel will happen a lot faster than most people think.

Yep.  If the game continues to grow, at some point Pro-Rel will make too much financial sense not to do it.  It will be complicated, but there will be a deal that can be made.  Maybe something like the current MLS teams will continue to get a first division share of the tv rights, no matter what level they're playing on.  If the game gets big enough, there will be a way to make good on any investments owners have put into a team or the league.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
Pro/regulation sucks. There is nothing exciting about the same 4/5 teams winning every year while the rest are mid tier do nothings and the bottom feeders fight to survive.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Take $1.5B from the next TV deal

I don't see deep enough pockets behind the $4B offer. MP&S itself was only valued at $1.5B in 2016, based on the $1B price paid for 65% ownership by the Chinese.
https://www.socceram...l?edition=17534

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Pro/regulation sucks. There is nothing exciting about the same 4/5 teams winning every year while the rest are mid tier do nothings and the bottom feeders fight to survive.

Depends on one's perspective. 47 clubs have played in the EPL on its 25 seasons, while only 6 have won.
https://en.m.wikiped...er_League_clubs
Some fans enjoy their team's season in the sun, knowing that the drop is likely.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Depends on one's perspective. 47 clubs have played in the EPL on its 25 seasons, while only 6 have won.
https://en.m.wikiped...er_League_clubs
Some fans enjoy their team's season in the sun, knowing that the drop is likely.

It's a terrible format to me and unless you're a fan of those teams that are always in the hunt for the title I don't know why anyone would like that format. I don't get the want that our league has to be like the rest of these to begin with. I prefer the playoffs.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

It's a terrible format to me and unless you're a fan of those teams that are always in the hunt for the title I don't know why anyone would like that format. I don't get the want that our league has to be like the rest of these to begin with. I prefer the playoffs.

Can we do pro/rel WITH playoffs?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

It's a terrible format to me and unless you're a fan of those teams that are always in the hunt for the title I don't know why anyone would like that format.

Hundreds of millions around the world like pro/rel, so you're outnumbered.

I don't get ... that our league has to be like the rest

Many US soccer fans follow other leagues, generally because they or their parents came from those countries. They're used to it, support it, and find it odd that the USA, with its emphasis on rewarding success and punishing failure in most things, doesn't follow that practice in team sports.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
Perhaps the easiest solution would be to force a marriage of Silva & Beckham, to jointly own the incipient Miami franchise in MLS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users