#31 FireFanInPackerLand

FireFanInPackerLand

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  • Supports:MU rah rah, Fire, Celtic, USMNT

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:22 AM

I disagree. Largely as someone who has personalized Blackhawks and Bears jerseys. Untill Urlacher came along, who would you have gotten a Bears jersey of? Cade McNown? Curtis Enis? Do you really want their crappy names on your back?

Plus in an age of free agency in all sports, and it being increasingly rare that a good player will play for one team for an extended period of time, why not stick with one name? I know some people buy a jersey every year, but for others who don't want to, why not get one, and if you must have a name/number on the back, have it be your name? I mean, you're always going to be a fan, while the players are unlikely to stick around.

That's my justification.

#32 phantum

phantum

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:We Are Chicago ... This Is The Fire

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:29 AM

Edinger was the fscking man.

#33 irishoutsider

irishoutsider

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  • Supports:ND, Chicago Fire, Liverpool FC, US

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:20 AM

I respect Prison Mike's argument, and its a reason I'll probably get a blank Fire Jersey next year. The MLS is still at a point where no one is safe, and while I'd like a Calen Carr or Plotkin or Pickens or anyone shirt, there are only a handful of Fire lifers, so the odds are against you. Getting a Nowak or Klopas or Kubik for myself would be like some 12 year old kid buying a Bobby Hull sweater. Sure, theres nothing wrong with it, but it wouldnt be right.

No matter how horrible a franchise is though, there is usually at least 1 jersey you could get. Assuming youre of my age group then I would think of these:

Bears (pre-Urlacher): Payton, Singletary, McMahon
Cubs: Sandberg, Grace, Maddux, Dawson
Sox: Thomas, Guillen, Fisk, Johnson, Jackson, and I've seen a couple road-gray Parkmans (they make the women sick).
Hawks: Chelios, Belfour, Roenick, Larmer, Savard

I have a Chelios jersey, and even though he hasn't played for the Hawks in nigh 10 years, he'll always be a Hawk. I would rather wear that shirt forever than be that guy with the Zhamnov jersey.

#34 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

If 'the herr' was at all interested in having actual intelligent conversations about anything he would drop all his stupid BS and act like a somewhat normal human being. As it is, he is only interested in being the center of attention which is why he does what he does. "hey look at me it's the Herr! I'm important! Talk about me, please!!!". Pretty much the context of anything the herr posts.
Ben, some of what you say makes sense concerning what this site is about and the way it should be moderated but fact is you are a HUGE supporter of the herr's quest to annoy the shit out of people and have been since day one. You like that kind of annoying shit for some reason so frankly I consider your opinion biased.

And I have no idea nor do I care who changed the name of his thread.

#35 Shanks

Shanks

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire!

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

I disagree. Largely as someone who has personalized Blackhawks and Bears jerseys. Untill Urlacher came along, who would you have gotten a Bears jersey of? Cade McNown? Curtis Enis? Do you really want their crappy names on your back?

I have an Erik Kramer jersey. Literally every time I wear it to the bar to watch games someone gives me shit for it. It's awesome.

Point is, you're NOT on the team. It's incredibly cocky and looks stupid to put your name on the jersey. Everywhere you go with that thing you become "that guy". Putting your own name on a jersey is absolutely a no-no for professional sports. Reserve your own name for the back of your amateur softball jersey.

Here's (in my opinion) the best way to find a jersey to wear: don't necessarily find the best player on a team, find the one you connect with the most. For example, if I got a White Sox jersey right now I'd get a Pablo Ozuna #38... no he's not the best player out there, and maybe he'll get traded, but I really like seeing the guy play. Then I'd probably be the only one with an Ozuna jersey in any given situation, which adds uniqueness as an additional perk. I'm not one of the 13464545656456 people with Konerko jerseys out there, and I'm also NOT the douchebag who paid an extra $30 to get his name on the jersey. If he gets traded so what? I'm still gonna wear my Jaqua jersey to games that aren't against LA, and my roommate still wears his Aaron Rowand jersey to Sox games because that was one of his favorite players.

Either way, regardless of how you pick the player to go on the back of your jersey, it HAS to be a player, past or present and your name is absolutely NOT allowed.

The argument that makes more sense is if it's allowed to get Nowak or Beasley on a current style jersey. I'd say no, if you're going to get a classic player it has to be on a classic jersey, but I'm sure other people would disagree.

#36 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

Ben, some of what you say makes sense concerning what this site is about and the way it should be moderated but fact is you are a HUGE supporter of the herr's quest to annoy the shit out of people and have been since day one. You like that kind of annoying shit for some reason so frankly I consider your opinion biased.

Actually I find those posts to be annoying as hell and I ignore them. At one point in time I did, sarcastically mind you, say he was the best poster on the internet but I kind of assumed most people would know I was kidding since it's really impossible to judge something like that. I'm surprised as hell that people respond and care about his posts if they're so annoyed.

#37 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:46 PM

Actually I find those posts to be annoying as hell and I ignore them. At one point in time I did, sarcastically mind you, say he was the best poster on the internet but I kind of assumed most people would know I was kidding since it's really impossible to judge something like that. I'm surprised as hell that people respond and care about his posts if they're so annoyed.

So am I. Which is why I don't. And I know you were kidding. And i also know you enjoy watching people overreact when you kid. :P

#38 Es Brennt

Es Brennt

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:57 PM

I have an Erik Kramer jersey. Literally every time I wear it to the bar to watch games someone gives me shit for it. It's awesome.

Point is, you're NOT on the team. It's incredibly cocky and looks stupid to put your name on the jersey. Everywhere you go with that thing you become "that guy". Putting your own name on a jersey is absolutely a no-no for professional sports. Reserve your own name for the back of your amateur softball jersey.

Here's (in my opinion) the best way to find a jersey to wear: don't necessarily find the best player on a team, find the one you connect with the most. For example, if I got a White Sox jersey right now I'd get a Pablo Ozuna #38... no he's not the best player out there, and maybe he'll get traded, but I really like seeing the guy play. Then I'd probably be the only one with an Ozuna jersey in any given situation, which adds uniqueness as an additional perk. I'm not one of the 13464545656456 people with Konerko jerseys out there, and I'm also NOT the douchebag who paid an extra $30 to get his name on the jersey. If he gets traded so what? I'm still gonna wear my Jaqua jersey to games that aren't against LA, and my roommate still wears his Aaron Rowand jersey to Sox games because that was one of his favorite players.

Either way, regardless of how you pick the player to go on the back of your jersey, it HAS to be a player, past or present and your name is absolutely NOT allowed.

The argument that makes more sense is if it's allowed to get Nowak or Beasley on a current style jersey. I'd say no, if you're going to get a classic player it has to be on a classic jersey, but I'm sure other people would disagree.

WOW. You've got a pretty firm opinion on this. I understand it, but it's still an opinion. There are no rules.
Who gives a shit what other people think of their fashion sense, if The Herr want's to have his name on his shirt, BFD. I know of at least one SC8er who has his name on his jersey and he's cool as hell. Personally I think if The Herr has the nerve, he should get a BAGODICKS jersey. THAT would be hilarious.
www.theredcardna.org

#39 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts
  • Supports:Chicago

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

...I'm not one of the 13464545656456 people with Konerko jerseys out there, and I'm also NOT the douchebag who paid an extra $30 to get his name on the jersey.

Look, I'm not ever going to get my name on a Fire shirt but this line of thinking strikes me as pretty stuck-up.

Full disclosure though :: I have a "Murtaugh" Celtic shirt that I got as a gift. It sort of works for that but not for a Fire shirt - don't ask me why.

#40 Shanks

Shanks

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire!

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

WOW. You've got a pretty firm opinion on this. I understand it, but it's still an opinion. There are no rules.
Who gives a shit what other people think of their fashion sense, if The Herr want's to have his name on his shirt, BFD. I know of at least one SC8er who has his name on his jersey and he's cool as hell. Personally I think if The Herr has the nerve, he should get a BAGODICKS jersey. THAT would be hilarious.

Yeah, the middle section of that post was pure opinion, and how you choose which player's jersey to get is entirely your own business; I was just throwing mine out there. But not getting your own name on a jersey has been on page one of basic sports fan etiquette for a long time. Sorry if that sounds stuck-up, but I think putting yourself on the same level as the players you adore is a lot worse in that department.

EDIT: by the way, I'm using the collective "you" in these posts, I'm not trying to make personal attacks on anybody. Except The Herr, but I think that goes without saying :)

#41 jokerman326

jokerman326

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:41 PM

This is all crap anyway. The Herr just likes to post under his/her Herr nick to get a rise out of folks. Is the person really so stupid as to actually get a jersey with their name on the back, inviting someone that they have annoyed to bash him/her in the skull? Cmon, not gonna happen.
IMHO, The Herr is someone's alter ego, or another team's fan being a troll. If "The Herr" wanted themself to be easily identified in public, all that they would have to do is post a pic right now. But it ain;t gonna happen. No pic, no jersey with their name on the back. The jersey thing is just something teh Herr threw out there to get folks yappin.
The joke is over, Herr.

#42 Es Brennt

Es Brennt

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:52 PM

EDIT: by the way, I'm using the collective "you" in these posts, I'm not trying to make personal attacks on anybody. Except The Herr, but I think that goes without saying :)

I didn't take it personal and am actually of generally the same opinion, I just don't like rules. :ph34r:
Still gonna be on the look out for a Bagodicks jersey though. Come on Herr, have ya got the guts and a matching sense of humor?
www.theredcardna.org

#43 dread

dread

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Supports:Who do you think!

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:12 PM

Shanks,

Thanks for the Brother Jed link. It brought back great memories. I went to the UW-Madison from 1984-1988. Many was the afternoon that I skipped a lecture to heckle Brother Jed, his spouse Sister "I was a disco slut!" Cindy, and the inimitable Sister Pat.

There was one afternoon on which I got the crowd to start chanting "burn the witch!" at a fiery (what else?) sermon by Sister Pat. Thing is, I had already prepared some bundles of sticks, and I had a can of lighter fluid in my pocket. I arranged the bundles around her feet, and squirted the lighter fluid all over them. With a dramatic flourish, I lit a match and held it in the air. At this point, half the pople were screaming "Ohmigod! DON"T DO IT!", while other were yelling "Go Ahead, Burn the witch!" The fun was brought to an end when one of the shirtless slackers, who was doing a good job of blending in with the students, grabbed my arm with one hand, and pulled a badge of his pocket with the other.

Unlike many other weekends spent at college, I did not, on this day, have to see the inside of the Dane County Jail. They really seemed to be at a loss when it came to figuring out what statue I had violated.

Anyway, I checked youtube, and found a wealth of Brother Jed videos, but nothing from Sister Pat. Here though, is a Sister Cindy link:

Sister Cindy

#44 Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:21 PM

How about a T-shirt?
Can I get a generic Fire T-shirt, and put "Saeyddthe" or "The Walsh" or "BEER"on the back? Can the number be the Section8 logo?
Can I do that?
I think I'm going to do that...as long as I don't get sued. ;)

#45 WB05 Brandon

WB05 Brandon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Supports:chicago fire

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:49 PM

"what's that on the back of your kit?"
"it's my internet handle"
"wow"

0 user(s) are reading this topic