• Please log in to reply
1725 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Barring an injury, Muyl is going to ride pine this season.  I'd feel a lot better if we penciled him in at right back.  We wouldn't have to worry about that spot for 10 years AND he'd probably be getting a USMNT look given that's a position of need.  Maybe Murillo is better, but I want Muyl on the pitch and that's an open spot that he could own.

With this formation, I'm not as against it as I would be with the other one, but it's still not happening.

Especially considering they are adding Murillo. Between him and Lade, we don't have to worry about that spot for 10 years as it is.  Just stuck with Zizzo for the time being.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

With this formation, I'm not as against it as I would be with the other one, but it's still not happening.

Especially considering they are adding Murillo. Between him and Lade, we don't have to worry about that spot for 10 years as it is.  Just stuck with Zizzo for the time being.

You are right, it's not happening.  Personally I would rather see Muyl there over Murillo.  Not because he's better, just because I like Muyl and I want him to play.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

You are right, it's not happening.  Personally I would rather see Muyl there over Murillo.  Not because he's better, just because I like Muyl and I want to play.

Same. I still think Muyl can develop and become a lot better on the wing, but for that to happen, he needs to play and he's probably not starting over Sacha or Royer, and 8-minute sub appearances won't cut it. Giving Murillo (who we still have not officially signed, right?) some time to adapt to how the team plays in training isn't the worst thing either.

Zizzo shouldn't be starting anything but summer friendlies.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Same. I still think Muyl can develop and become a lot better on the wing, but for that to happen, he needs to play and he's probably not starting over Sacha or Royer, and 8-minute sub appearances won't cut it. Giving Murillo (who we still have not officially signed, right?) some time to adapt to how the team plays in training isn't the worst thing either.

Zizzo shouldn't be starting anything but summer friendlies.

Guys, we are playing in multiple venues, we need all of the capable bodies we can get. Let's have Muyl and Murillo giving Lade and Zizzo an run for their money...Injuries, call ups, lack of form, new player integration, multiple tournaments...we may need them all including Zizzo.

Thumbs up to depth

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Between the CCL (this year's CCL and next) and the Open Cup, I think everyone is going to get plenty of minutes.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Between the CCL (this year's CCL and next) and the Open Cup, I think everyone is going to get plenty of minutes.

Hope you're right, but we thought this last year, yet there was very little rotation that wasn't forced by injuries. Our primary options off the bench, Veron and Davis, played quite well when people were hurt but were only getting short cameos off the bench when starters were healthy.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

There's no group stage of the CCL this summer.  So even IF we progress to the final, those games will be over early in the season.  There are only a handful of Open Cup games for the MLS teams.  It's nice to have depth for these games, but Marsch really only uses his depth for these games.  So maybe Muyl plays now and then again sometime in the summer around the Open Cup?

Hope you're right, but we thought this last year, yet there was very little rotation that wasn't forced by injuries. Our primary options off the bench, Veron and Davis, played quite well when people were hurt but were only getting short cameos off the bench when starters were healthy.

Hopefully Marsch does better with this in 2017.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Well, true, but I think we used a variety of options for the Open cup and CCL last year. And its hard to tinker with the lineup when your team is in the middle of a 20 game unbeaten run. But injuries happen and you need this sort of depth. I thought it was one of our strengths last year. The fact that we could sub in a player of quality like Royer, Veron, Muyl. Not a bad problem to have.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Well, true, but I think we used a variety of options for the Open cup and CCL last year. And its hard to tinker with the lineup when your team is in the middle of a 20 game unbeaten run. But injuries happen and you need this sort of depth. I thought it was one of our strengths last year. The fact that we could sub in a player of quality like Royer, Veron, Muyl. Not a bad problem to have.

Agreed, not a bad problem. Just saying that even when the nominal starting 11 are healthy, you can still rotate and rest players occasionally. Exactly because the backups are good enough that it doesn't cripple the lineup, you can afford to do it. E.g. Felipe doesn't have to play 34 x 90 minutes, even he can rest here and there. Ditto for BWP, Sacha, Collin etc.

You can always find reasons for not rotating and sticking to what works, especially late in the season. The year before it was the Shield, last year it was the unbeaten run after the shaky start. It's arguably backfired in the playoffs for both of those seasons.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

How many games is the CCL & Open Cup?  I like having the depth to play in or around those games, but I don't like only using our depth in or around those games.  There are large chunks of the season we're our depth will only see the pitch in practice or for a few minutes late in games - assuming Marsch doesn't change his ways.

Agreed, not a bad problem. Just saying that even when the nominal starting 11 are healthy, you can still rotate and rest players occasionally. Exactly because the backups are good enough that it doesn't cripple the lineup, you can afford to do it. E.g. Felipe doesn't have to play 34 x 90 minutes, even he can rest here and there. Ditto for BWP, Sacha, Collin etc.

You can always find reasons for not rotating and sticking to what works, especially late in the season. The year before it was the Shield, last year it was the unbeaten run after the shaky start. It's arguably backfired in the playoffs for both of those seasons.

I think it did backfire.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Meh... Most of the coaches in this league aren't good with squad rotation. Coaches in general just aren't.  They are all wired to win individual games.  Every NHL and NFL forum is full of guys bitching about coaches not giving other guys opportunities and resting certain star players.  Coaches just don't tend to do it for whatever reason.

Hopefully Marsch does though.  The depth on this team is good.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Vancouver Whitecaps attacker Yordy Reyna suffered an injury last night and it didn't look good. Curse of Peruvians in #MLS continues. #VWFC

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Meh... Most of the coaches in this league aren't good with squad rotation. Coaches in general just aren't.  They are all wired to win individual games.  Every NHL and NFL forum is full of guys bitching about coaches not giving other guys opportunities and resting certain star players.  Coaches just don't tend to do it for whatever reason.

Hopefully Marsch does though.  The depth on this team is good.

Wasn't this guy known for doing it at Liverpool? 

86435hp2.jpg

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Vancouver Whitecaps attacker Yordy Reyna suffered an injury last night and it didn't look good. Curse of Peruvians in #MLS continues. #VWFC

sucks for him.  hopefully it is not that serious and he can be back on the field in 3 weeks  ^_^

irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Lawrence about to get 35 minutes for Jamaica, so he should be good to go. https://twitter.com/...422618858942466

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users