Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

That is crazy. Go to the source.

Perhaps worse: https://www.scientif...how-to-succeed/

I agree. We should all go to the source.

We all dont. And even when we do its not all the time. Thats why its important for government officials to listen to experts in the field. Because they influence the general public.

I will leave it to the professionals to determine if hes a psychopath or a sociopath. I would like to believe he has some sort of conscience and simply doesnt listen to it most of the time because its...somehow...better?...ish?...

No conscience at all? Possible. Hopefully not.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

its important for government officials to listen to experts in the field.

If government officials listened to health experts,
alcohol, tobacco & firearms would be banned,
obesity would be illegal & helmets mandated
for everyone in a vehicle or on a bicycle.
Attendance at spectator sports might be limited
to those with the demeanor of most golf fans.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

If government officials listened to health experts,
alcohol, tobacco & firearms would be banned,
obesity would be illegal, & helmets mandated
for everyone in a vehicle or on a bicycle.
Attendance at spectator sports might be limited
to those with the demeanor of most golf fans.

Goalposts

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Tying healthcare to employment is not working out so well for us.

https://www.nytimes....e#link-4a45abca

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Tying healthcare to employment is not working out so well for us.

2108 USA healthcare total was $3.7 Trillion, 18% of GDP
Total income tax paid was $1.6 Trillion
143 million tax returns were filed in 2017.
Median household income was $63K in 2018.
Healthcare is about $26,000 per tax return.
https://taxfoundatio...ta-2020-update/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Healthcare is about $26,000 per tax return.

Yeah.  It is insane how much we spend per person, especially when you compare it to countries who spend far less and get better outcomes.  We have basically chosen the most expensive and least efficient way to provide healthcare.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

John Flushing

John Flushing

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Interests:www.metrofanatic.com
  • Supports:My Own Self Interests.

I fail to understand how people are living their lives for the virus, by turning their face coverings into a fashion accessory. Common sense tells me that a mask is not a fashion accessory. Logic tells me that a mask is not a fashion accessory. A mask is not something that you get your sports team name embroidered onto. That would be like getting your sports team name embroidered onto your wheel chair if you cannot walk, or painted onto your oxygen tank if you have difficulty breathing, or painted onto your cast if you have a broken bone, or something equally horrible. A virus is not something you live your life for; it is something you try to find a vaccine for.

I hate not being able to visit my loved ones in their living rooms. I hate this evil virus with every beat of my heart. How any sane, rational, logical person can, in their right mind swallow this bull crap is simply beyond me.

Everyone should be looking forward to the day when a vaccine is created, and celebratory bonfires are lit all around the world, and every face covering and every social distancing marker goes up in smoke, when every mask gets destroyed in the bonfire. Everyone should want to say good riddance to the social distancing marker. Everyone should want to say good riddance to the disgusting, nasty mask.

I cannot comprehend how people are getting their sports team names embroidered onto a nasty, disgusting, vile thing that really should be destined to go up in smoke.

"What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

a mask is not a fashion accessory.

To some, it is. Nothing to lose sleep over.
I prefer seeing a logo mask, to none at all.
https://nypost.com/2...ov-phil-murphy/

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I fail to understand how people are living their lives for the virus, by turning their face coverings into a fashion accessory. Common sense tells me that a mask is not a fashion accessory. Logic tells me that a mask is not a fashion accessory. A mask is not something that you get your sports team name embroidered onto. That would be like getting your sports team name embroidered onto your wheel chair if you cannot walk, or painted onto your oxygen tank if you have difficulty breathing, or painted onto your cast if you have a broken bone, or something equally horrible. A virus is not something you live your life for; it is something you try to find a vaccine for.

I hate not being able to visit my loved ones in their living rooms. I hate this evil virus with every beat of my heart. How any sane, rational, logical person can, in their right mind swallow this bull crap is simply beyond me.

Everyone should be looking forward to the day when a vaccine is created, and celebratory bonfires are lit all around the world, and every face covering and every social distancing marker goes up in smoke, when every mask gets destroyed in the bonfire. Everyone should want to say good riddance to the social distancing marker. Everyone should want to say good riddance to the disgusting, nasty mask.

I cannot comprehend how people are getting their sports team names embroidered onto a nasty, disgusting, vile thing that really should be destined to go up in smoke.

Wearing a decorative mask isn't "living their lives for the virus" Some people do decorate their wheelchairs.

What a strange thing to be annoyed about.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I certainly wouldn't expect fans at sporting events next year, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily tied to a vaccine timetable. We're seeing this because cases are still surging across the country. 

They are "surging" in a sense that the numbers are increasing. But when comparing it to the total US population, only around 1% has been confirmed positive.

The overwhelming majority of Americans, including those in places like Texas and Florida, remain unaffected by this virus. The thinking that is driving decisions like no fans seems to be more rooted in fear and anxiety than actual numbers and reality.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

They are "surging" in a sense that the numbers are increasing. But when comparing it to the total US population, only around 1% has been confirmed positive.

The overwhelming majority of Americans, including those in places like Texas and Florida, remain unaffected by this virus. The thinking that is driving decisions like no fans seems to be more rooted in fear and anxiety than actual numbers and reality.

That 1% is literally because we're avoiding putting people in crowds as much as possible. 

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

This was you in March:

Close enough. Your COVID takes have aged like milk in the Sahara Desert. Maybe sit this one out.

Nope. My point there still holds up well today.

New Jersey has a population of nearly 9 million. There have been 180,000 cases there. That is a statewide 2% infection rate.

New York has a population of nearly 20 million and 412,000 cases. Again, a statewide 2% infection rate.

The US has a population of 328 million. Collectively there are just under 4 million cases. The infection rate nationally is a bit over 1%. Alternatively, close to 99% of Americans either haven't gotten covid or had it, were asymptomatic and survived.

You can look all these numbers up. The numbers don't lie.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

That 1% is literally because we're avoiding putting people in crowds as much as possible. 

But then how can you explain thousands of protesters not getting sick?

In Florida, mostly everything is open as normal too and despite the increase, their case load is at 1.5% of state population.

Other states have opened up way more since May and aren't seeing increases either, like those in the northeast. It's not like March where everyone was staying home because it was cold and there was nothing to do.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

NJ ... 9 million ... 180,000 cases ... 2% infection rate.
NY ... 20 million and 412,000 cases ... 2% infection rate
US ... 328 million ... 4 million cases ... infection rate ... 1%. 99% of Americans either haven't gotten covid or had it, were asymptomatic and survived.
You can look all these numbers up. The numbers don't lie.

Numbers could be much higher, in cases & deaths: https://www.nytimes....s-covid-19.html
https://www.bostongl...says-mit-study/
An optimistic look at the numbers would suggest that a higher positive rate means a lower fatality rate.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Remember someone made the point that Covid-19 was no big deal because there were fewer cases in the metro area than could fit in Red Bull Arena?  Now we can pack Red Bull Arena with those killed by the disease in the region two times over.  Still no big deal I guess. 

I remember all those reasonable people after 9/11 who said, it's only 3,000 people.  It is no big deal.  That is only only 0.02% percent of population of the area. Get over it. Move on. Most people are fine!

People can think coronavirus is a big deal and also think the response is overblown at the same time.

Why are you acting like it has to be one or the other? It doesn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users