BillFromAstoria

BillFromAstoria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Liverpool, US, SUNY Purchase

Dan, hoping you can settle a debate.

Should Metro qualify for the 2020 Leagues Cup (and looking at the standings, that's a somewhat likely scenario), would games in the Leagues Cup be considered "friendlies" or "competitive matches?" 

I'm torn on it. For one, the tournament is a pure cash grab with all games held on US soil, unlike the old SuperLiga. But the same is true of the Gold Cup for the USMNT. I don't think you could rate it as high as a tournament like Copa Mecronorte, which was a home-and-away round robin. But I also don't think it stoops nearly as low as a Emirates Cup. 

Curious to know the board's thoughts on this.

METRO T-SHIRTS!

1996NY.com

Even the losers get lucky sometimes.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I think this tournament is rather pointless at the moment but at the same time I'm selfish and I want to win everything we can so I would gladly like to win this cup as well.

Plus it's always fun beating Liga MX teams if we can.

I would consider them competitions still though because the Liga MX teams were definitely playing to win. I'd consider the games less important than Champions league though.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

would games in the Leagues Cup be considered "friendlies" or "competitive matches?"  

Latter.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
The Leagues Cup has been sanctioned by CONCACAF, thus all players, stats and results are deemed competitive matches and not friendlies.

At the time of Merconorte, we gave some our reserve team "MetroBlack" players a chance. Birahim Diop, Alan Villegas, Henry Triana and Alex Dixon were given a chance with Diop and Dixon getting minutes.

I can absolutely see this being mostly USL players getting an opportunity and getting some first team minutes. Guys on first team deals like Koffi and Louro for sure.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users