#31 kenosis

kenosis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Storm, Torpedo Vladimir

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:34 PM

It might be a good idea to put an underpass in. But this won't stimulate the economy - at least not to fight a recession. From Keynes himself, the progenitor of all this:

“Organized public works, at home and abroad, may be the right cure for a chronic tendency to a deficiency of effective demand. But they are not capable of sufficiently rapid organisation (and above all cannot be reversed or undone at a later date), to be the most serviceable instrument for the prevention of the trade cycle.” (Keynes, Collected Writings, vol. XXVII, p.122 ). http://thinkmarkets....-works-skeptic/

In words humans understand: By the time an infrastructure project gets off the ground the business cycle will already be getting better. Then the money that was supposed to fight the downturn will be adding to the upswing ... and starting the whole cycle again.

Then again Keynes said a good way to end a downturn is to bury buckets of money and let people dig them up.

#32 Es Brennt

Es Brennt

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

And it's the boogey man of communism, nay-saying economists, and the war on the New Deal that has allowed our infrastructure to fall into such disrepair or obsolescence. Chicago's rail woes are embarrassing, and need far more than 100 million dollars to allay, maybe Warren Buffet can pitch in.
:cheers:
www.theredcardna.org

#33 kenosis

kenosis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:15 AM

Respectfully where you see "spectre of Communism" I see "Politicians are more electable if they promise to build new things than to honor long-term financial obligations".

#34 mactheknife

mactheknife

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Supports:fire, charlton, PSG, rangers

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:33 AM

So, who else is wishing the title of this thread was just "New underpass!"?
this guy...this fuckin guy

#35 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

I'd prefer if it was "new underpants".

#36 Maddog

Maddog

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Arsenal, Celtic

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

Rubber Stimulus
"It's not any one person. It's not any one coach. It's the team."
Brian McBride

#37 jackparanoia

jackparanoia

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

Isn't Warren Buffet playing toyota park this year?

#38 penguinopph

penguinopph

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • Supports:CF97, Man U, Ajax, Bayern Munchen

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:45 PM

$20mil and I could have got my movie started called "Everything Explodes and Everybody Dies"

and if that got started, that means a job for me... there fore jobs would be created!

#39 giaco

giaco

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire, Tottenham Hotspur F.C., Guiness, and a lot of other things.
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

and if that got started, that means a job for me... there fore jobs would be created!

I call music/score on this project!

#40 radmonkey

radmonkey

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

And it's the boogey man of communism, nay-saying economists, and the war on the New Deal that has allowed our infrastructure to fall into such disrepair or obsolescence. Chicago's rail woes are embarrassing, and need far more than 100 million dollars to allay, maybe Warren Buffet can pitch in.
:cheers:

I totally agree with you.

You know who has really good infrastructure too? Greece. :ph34r:

On the other hand, at least they have something to show for it. All were gonna get for our debt is a lot of molle gear flooding army surplus stores and a lot of broken promises. To make it even worse, I don't think we're even getting oil out of it.

But yeah, bring on the high speed trains and modern nuclear plants.
"Dave Checketts and SCP Worldwide partners Dean Howes, Kenneth Munoz, Michael McCarthy and Chris Bevilacqua, chose Real Salt Lake for the team's name because they desired to associate the team with a successful soccer club, and "Fire" was already taken."

#41 giaco

giaco

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire, Tottenham Hotspur F.C., Guiness, and a lot of other things.
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

I hope my package gets stimulated by an underpass near 71st & Harlem this season.

I won't need 200 mil for that, but I'd gladly burn it up in seriously delinqunet spending habits. Vote for me, William S. Burroughs, deputy chief of city sewers and sanitation for Saint Louis county.

We now return you to your previous program, already in progess.

#42 Allen23

Allen23

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Supports:USA, Fire

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this is a poor decision (politics aside). I always take 71st to the West Lot, and have been stuck behind the train, more times than I care to remember. But this will take YEARS to complete and I am sure there will not be a bypass, so 71st will be a no go. Also, the FO announced a parking lot for STH's in the West lot off of 71st. How in the heck are we going to get to that gate now?

Ughhhhh, this has "Pain in the Ass" written all over it.

G.

#43 rednow.red4ever

rednow.red4ever

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Reds of the Windy City

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

I for one am honestly tired of school and living off loans. Unfortunately a graduate degree is helpful in marketing oneself in a tight education field.

Also, unfortunately, not even the Coast Guard (yes, I've attempted to get into every service) will let someone in with Crohn's disease. To think, had I not had to leave ROTC (due to my illness), i'd be a lieutenant by now!

Anyway, hope this works out...
Our friends will never walk alone.

#44 kenosis

kenosis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:55 PM

I for one am honestly tired of school and living off loans. Unfortunately a graduate degree is helpful in marketing oneself in a tight education field.

Also, unfortunately, not even the Coast Guard (yes, I've attempted to get into every service) will let someone in with Crohn's disease. To think, had I not had to leave ROTC (due to my illness), i'd be a lieutenant by now!

Anyway, hope this works out...

This sounds incredibly like me. I had to leave ROTC after getting Crohn's Disease, went into education, and found there was nothing out there for a Social Science teacher with a bachelors. The absolute best luck to you.

#45 Will Failure

Will Failure

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Arsenal FC,

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:44 AM

a graduate degree is helpful in marketing oneself in a tight education field.

Unless of course the schools you apply to hire someone with a bachelors degree to save money, since they might be riffing either of you come the end of the school year anyway. Good luck to you though.. I've aided in middle schools the two previous school years and am a substitute this year. Despite poor short term outlook for teaching jobs [especially in the social sciences] I'm hoping to head back to school to pick up my teaching certificate in the Fall, hopefully endorsed in science as well as social studies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users