• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

I have nothing to base this on but reading Kemar talk post Gold Cup about how Jamaicans are underpaid in MLS.

I say don't sell no matter $$$ as our season has just turned around and we were missing our best player in Kemar + our best defender.

Stats

25 in September

Salary 100 base / 205 guaranteed

Contract end date - unk per Transfermkt

Sources

http://www.metro.us/...campaign=060617

https://mlsmultiplex...kemar-lawrence/

Transfer $$$

Miazga transfer got $5M

Transfermarkt has Lawrence valued just over $1 million.

I would say it would have to be 3M if no loan back

What $$$ would people sell for? 

Who could slot into his place?

Myul, Lade, Adams (who is not a lefty but has been adept at answering most calls), Zizzo, Long (very good on the left during NYC OC game)

Again I say don't rock the boat.  

That being said it wouldn't suprise me Kemar is gone at the end of the year to get paid.  Would be said to see him go but happy if he goes with silverware!!

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

i would have to think kemar's value is at its highest right now.  left back is a harder position to fill than CB.  i would guess he should go for around $5M - proven MLS veteran, proven international left back, has speed and defensive instincts, and apparently can also take FKs.  Had a best XI showing in the gold cup.  etc. etc. 

if he is really gone after this year, we might as well sell now. problem is, most clubs already have their rosters set by now since the european leagues start in a few weeks.  

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I'd try to keep Taxi.

I know there was an article or two before this season (or last) that talked about an extension being done, but I don't know if that actually happened.  Really just comes down to whether he wants to stay.  If he wants to leave, he can easily force the issue.  If he's cool staying here and just wants a raise then go for it.

With a salary cap, I'm not crazy about putting too much money on either outside back position, but Taxi is great, durable, and versatile in that he can play as a CB as well.

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

If he becomes the corner and free kick taker I would pay to keep him.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I think our current formation\system asks a lot of our widebacks and should offer justification for allocating a bit more than the average MLS salary cap slice to these players. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I think our current formation\system asks a lot of our widebacks and should offer justification for allocating a bit more than the average MLS salary cap slice to these players. 

Completely agree with this.  

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Unless they get an outstanding offer (at least 7 digits, preferably not starting with a one), or they think he's a significant flight risk at the end of his contract, I'd rather not sell and just pay him a little more. The team is already sitting on a pile of allocation money, doesn't look like its in jeopardy of a multi-season rebuild a la Chicago, and MLS is starting to hand out TAM like candy.

For a guy who is top 3 in his position across the league, I'd rather have the known quality player than a little extra GAM.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I'd love to hold on to him, but I think it's a fair assumption that he's on the last year of his contract (signed in 2015, I recall three-year deals being the "standard") and he might be looking for a serious payday given his recent comments. Selling might be the only option.

If that's the route we have to go, I think $3 million is a decent price. Miazga was sold for $5 million and while both he and Lawrence can/could have lay/laid claim to being the best at their position in the league, Miazga was 20, Lawrence is 25. Plus, fullback doesn't get the same premium on it CB does. I don't think a loan back is likely -- at 25, he'd be looked at as a contributor, not a prospect.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

I'd love to hold on to him, but I think it's a fair assumption that he's on the last year of his contract (signed in 2015, I recall three-year deals being the "standard") and he might be looking for a serious payday given his recent comments. Selling might be the only option.

If that's the route we have to go, I think $3 million is a decent price. Miazga was sold for $5 million and while both he and Lawrence can/could have lay/laid claim to being the best at their position in the league, Miazga was 20, Lawrence is 25. Plus, fullback doesn't get the same premium on it CB does. I don't think a loan back is likely -- at 25, he'd be looked at as a contributor, not a prospect.

Thanks for the link!

He is not quite DeRo signing a check but I took it as the guy wants a very justafiable raise. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

http://sbisoccer.com...nderpaid-by-mls

Most players in MLS can argue that they are underpaid, compared with other major professional sports in the USA and soccer leagues around the world.
Bristol City players averaged over $500,000 in salaries & bonuses last year. No massive DP salaries, but good pay across the board, if this is to be believed:
http://www.otib.co.u...3477-wage-bill/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

Most players in MLS can argue that they are underpaid, compared with other major professional sports in the USA and soccer leagues around the world.
Bristol City players averaged over $500,000 in salaries & bonuses last year. No massive DP salaries, but good pay across the board, if this is to be believed:
http://www.otib.co.u...3477-wage-bill/

Most people would argue that professional athletes are over paid for the amount of "work" they do but Kemar deserves a raise as much as every other rb player that received one recently.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

When a guy gets paid 30 million dollars to shoot hoops, we've most certainly gone too far. That said, a lot of guys tend to seem underpaid in soccer.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

A guy making $30 million is a whole lot less galling when you realize his employer and his partners made something like $8 billion last year, and the alternative is them keeping a whole lot more of that $8 billion.

Regardless, Lawrence deserves a healthy raise, and I hope he gets one before someone can sign him on a pre-contract.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
When someone told Babe Ruth that he made more than the president, The Bambino reportedly replied, "Well, I had a better year than he did."

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Don't sell, pay the man.

#RedBullOut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users