magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

Any thoughts?

I think we need a forward who is good in the air and at hold-up play (not Aaron Long).

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The crisp fast passing in the first half was great.

The lack of shots on goal... not so much.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

A little bit to worry about from Struber's opener.

First of all the team didn't look in great shape. They went a long time in the second half getting beat on the dribble and being slow to react in general.

He's still got a lot to figure out creating chances. Turnovers up field weren't coming, the midfield couldn't pass the ball amongst themselves let alone find the strikers, and the long balls weren't cutting it. Not sure where the quality chances come from based on tonight.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

I'm not going to make any harsh judgements based on 1 Red Bull radio listen and 1 TV watch.

But that wasn't great. Still waiting on a serious threat in the attack.  Looked better in terms of creating turnovers and moving the ball up the field, but it didn't look any better in terms of chance creation and chance finishing.  We'll all take a Clark banger, but that's no way to score consistently.

Maybe moving CCJ out of the 10 spot will help, maybe having two serious options up top (Fabio + Klimala) will. But, as I've mentioned a million times on the site, you're only going to get so far in this league in 2021 if you're unwilling to spend more than 4M on an attacking player.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
The system asks a lot of those 3 guys up front. They have to be able to create offense or we aren't winning games. That's the biggest concern.

Other than that, the team looked well drilled and played hard.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Even if literally nothing else changes, Klimala over Barlow is hopefully enough to make a big difference. Regardless, it's one game. The threads early into Marsch's tenure were regrettable, to say the least. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Fabio i thought did well holding up play but we need a forward to compliment him that likes to stretch the field and run in behind more.  Klimala should do that, White isnt quick enough to do that perfectly.  My only complaint is that I think we went to route one soccer a bit too quickly when we were down.  For 10 mins after giving up the goal we were moving the ball and dictating tempo well and then we just starting playing random aerial balls to no one.  Its one thing to play with tempo and verticality, but playing crosses to the edge of the box to try and win aerial 50/50s as build up is dumb.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Isn't that the system as it is designed? To go Route 1 so that the players can win 50/50s, once they dump the ball fwd? If our guys lose possession, just win another 50/50? That's the impression I get. Maybe I missed a press conference or team website article where they detail the rest of the plan once a player has won a 50/50. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Isn't that the system as it is designed? To go Route 1 so that the players can win 50/50s, once they dump the ball fwd? If our guys lose possession, just win another 50/50? That's the impression I get. Maybe I missed a press conference or team website article where they detail the rest of the plan once a player has won a 50/50. 

the plan was to go vertical fast from what i read but the difference between first 60 mins and last 30 mins is we went fast with the ball on the ground mostly to start and then lost composure and lobbed hopeless balls for longer than we should have.  You can play fast without playing pinball.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I think we are going to have a slow start. The press requires a higher level of fitness. I dont see them getting into a roll until june. Hopefully by then, we havent dug ourselves into a huge hole.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Isn't that the system as it is designed? To go Route 1 so that the players can win 50/50s, once they dump the ball fwd? If our guys lose possession, just win another 50/50? 

Marsch talked about this a lot, its all about winning the second ball.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
Looked a lot like his Barnsley teams. They often had issues scoring. Too early to say 'this is how it's gonna be, but we didn't exactly look dangerous. .68 XG to 1.8 for SKC. Kinda tells the story.

#RedBullOut

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
My understanding was that the fullbacks drive a lot of the offense on Struber's teams? Gutman worries me a little with the quality of his attacking play if that's the case. Duncan we all know isn't really suited for whipping in crosses either.

Tough to see where the chances are going to come from through the midfield based on last night.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Marsch talked about this a lot, its all about winning the second ball...then passing accurately to the striker who doesn't need 20 chances to bag one goal.

Wish it was this. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

My understanding was that the fullbacks drive a lot of the offense on Struber's teams? Gutman worries me a little with the quality of his attacking play if that's the case. Duncan we all know isn't really suited for whipping in crosses either.

Where's Edwards? 

Side note, I still like the idea of a 3-5-2 - with Harper and maybe Royer on the wings - but I'm not sure we have the centerbacks for that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users