#16 American Beer

American Beer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Supports:Whiskey & Pancakes

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm sure you young whippersnappers can't tell, but I've been doing interval training at the park in my 5 fingers to work my wind and strengthen my perpetually worrisome feet and ankles. It is really great running on grass virtually barefooted! It has helped a lot with pacing and sustaining sprints in soccer, allowing this aged quasi alcoholic to remain marginally competitive in the recent LARS Champs League rather than a total joke.

It involves running at 40-50% for a few minute, then pausing until the heart rate returns to normal.
Then this interval of runs:
Sprint at 75% for 30 seconds
Jog for 30 seconds

Sprint at 100% for 30
Jog for 30

Sprint at 100% for 30
Jog for 30

Sprint at 100% for 30
Jog for 30

Sprint at 100% for 30
Jog for 30

Sprint at 75% for 30
Jog for 30

Warm down with a jog until simply merely sweating instead of gasping for sweet life giving air

Intensity is rather high, but the upside is it takes about 15 minutes.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

Torrance Pickup Soccer @ Greenwood Park, 9:00am Saturday! Details here: https://www.facebook...yourLARiotSquad

#17 cesar

cesar

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

I run 3-4 days a week. 4 miles a day. Yoga 2-3 times a week. Steam room every other day.

Whatever you do in the gym, listen to Metallica or speed metal. That music is like coke without the withdraws.

#18 Cristobal

Cristobal

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Location:live:Palm Beach Gardens, Fl, Heart: Los Angeles, Ca
  • Interests:Football(soccer), cycling, running, swimming, triathlons, Gym, Rugby, Music, beer,
  • Supports:Galaxy,USMT,MUFC,Barca,Glendale

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

Who goes to the gym regularly?
My gym is outside and in the garage.

what's your routine?
Mon: 20 Mile am ride, Noon: Leg strengthening and Core, PM: AquaDu 4.5 mile run and ocean swim
Tues: 30-40 mile ride followed by a 1-2 mile Tempo run at 6:30 Min mile
Wed: 5-6 mile AM Run then an Easy Afternoon ride 20-25 miles
thursday: Aquadu 4.5 mile run Ocean swim, Afternoon Team 30mile Tempo ride at 25mph+ with breakaway and sprint finishes at certain points
Friday: Off and/or Core work with some push ups, upper body strengthand Foam roller massage.
Sat: AM Fast Road Ride 25MPH+ 40 miles
Sunday: LSD-Long Slow Distance ride avg 70miles or Master Du: Bike 60 miles, Run 4.5 miles, Ocean Swim .25 of a mile.

starting strength? GOMAD? 3x5? something else?
3X15 Air squats, forward and reverse lunges, lateral hip raises, Good mornings, Bridges.
4x25 Push Ups (100 a day keeps the man boobs away)
3x15 dumbell curls and triceps extensions
3x30 Reverse crunches, bicycle crunches, leg raises, oblique side bends, v-ups,
Planks 6x30sec.

How do you gain weight/muscle? how do you lose weight?
Lift Heavy for gaining muscle, shit load of cardio for loosing weight. If I need to be light for my endurance races I will consume 500 calories less in the off-season. if your curious check out My Calorie Counter To find the Amount of daily calories you need and how much of a caloric deficit you need to loose or gain weight.

Set a personal best on a lift?Dunno

Discuss all that and more! Most of you know I Lost over 165lbs went from 320lbs to 145-150lbs mostly due to getting back into playing footy. then Got into running then cycling then into Triathlons. I am a Vegan and my Macronutrient ratio is 80/10/10. 80% carbs 10%fat and 10% protein. I eat alot of Fruits, Veggies, Whole grains like Brown Rice and Oatmeal (rolled oats version not quick) ,Legumes, Don't eat that much tofu get most of my protien from Lentils and Black Beans. I eat about 3000 calories+ per day(depends of my training load if I am training for a Olympic, 1/2 iron or Full Ironman Distance) you can check out what I regularly eat at My fitnesspalmy online Food Log to make sure I am eating enough to replenish the body for another day of training. I still do drink but only about a glass of wine or bottle of beer a day with dinner.
HONOR, HEART, PRIDE!

#19 Ed The Zombie

Ed The Zombie

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Supports:G's, Club America, WFC, USA

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

My biggest problem is dieting. Its a bitch when you live in a house of huskier folks who make it extremely difficult to diet. Also motivating myself to go to the gym is a problem.

Jaime where do you get that 1mr?
Fuimos. Bebimos. Chingamos.

#20 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

Started at 274
Down to 266
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#21 Riggs.

Riggs.

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, your mother

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

What your routine should be is heavily dependent upon your goals. There are numerous philosophies, diets, etc. There isn't one right way to do things.

If you want to lose weight there are a few ways of going about it. Regardless of what anyone says, I think low calorie low fat diets are the worst. Low calorie low fat diets will make you lose weight, the problem is you lose muscle along with your fat. So many people end up looking deflated. Personally, and from what I've seen my trainer do, carbs(especially non-complex carbs) are the enemy. I've seen him get people to drop 70lbs+ in a year without a single bit of cardio and they're healthier they've ever been with a lower blood pressure, and not to mention muscular or ripped.

One other thing I'd add is that if you're trying to get stronger in anyway, or get bigger... LEGS!

Squats are probably the most important things you can do, and working out your legs releases more HGH and testosterone than any other area in your body.

I do muscle isolation, something different every day of the week. I started doing 10x10 to build my strength because I was scrawny as hell. Now I changed it up every week.
I pretty much eat whatever trying to avoid simple carbs as much as possible. I always make sure that within 30 minutes of finishing my work out I've downed a 100+ gram protein shake.

I started at 155 got to 175 in 3-4 months and stopped working out for a while. Went down to 165, and now that I've been working out consistently I'm back down to 150-155 but much more defined and no more gut. I'm sure if I started taking creatine again I could get back to 175 in no time but I just hated the way it made me feel.

If anyone near or willing to drive to the Valley is interested in finding a trainer let me know. My Dad lost 40 some lbs with this guy, zero cardio.

#22 fradista

fradista

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, USA, Ferencváros

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

5 x 5

This is a great, functional way to gain strength. I have been doing it for about 8 months and am a lot stronger.

I still weigh too much because I eat terribly and drink to much, but it is a good program and worth checking out. Its similar to what Bones said.

#23 Riggs.

Riggs.

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, your mother

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

5 x 5

This is a great, functional way to gain strength. I have been doing it for about 8 months and am a lot stronger.

I still weigh too much because I eat terribly and drink to much, but it is a good program and worth checking out. Its similar to what Bones said.

This.

#24 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Besides soccer? Golf, Asian girls, grilling, swilling good beer, petite syrah
  • Supports:Galaxy, USA. Xolos

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

I did Dumbbell Blast from Men's Health online and I liked it. It's pretty tough. Problem is, when I finish I take too long of a break.

Also, I have neck problems, so sometimes when I really push it I'm messed up for days until I go to the chiropractor. One step forward, two steps backward. Hate it.

And my wife is a damn good cook.

So, I will be roughing it in Poland for the Euro Cup and need to get in better shape. Kicking off the next 8-week program next week.

#25 ESCO

ESCO

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Supports:LAG | LFC

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

Start running in events.

One day for the hell of it I said I'm going to do a 5k, then I signed up for a 10k, then I did 2 half marathons and this past October I completed my first full marathon (Long Beach). You will be motivated to train because of your event (rather than just running to lose weight) and you the thrill of running with other people, people cheering you on, receiving medals etc makes the run that much easier (except the marathon that shit was rough).

I lost 15-20 pounds simply by training for my marathon. I also hit the gym 1-2 twice a week and I NEVER pass an opportunity to play soccer, it's fun and I do my exercise at the same time also.

But the most important thing is your eating habits, I eat whatever I want on the weekends and I watch what I eat M-F. Do not eat fast food no matter what, that shit will kill you. I'm a snacked so I buy 100 calorie pack cookies from Trader Joes, baked cheetos, eat apples and bannanas all the time and order chicken related meals 80% of the time.

This stuff is not easy but no one wants to be the fat fuck in the crew, and of you are healthy and look healthy that positive aspect of your life will spill over into other parts of your life also.

#26 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Digging the positive vibe in this thread.

I had no idea so many people in LARS were down with fitness.

Yeah I try hit the gym about three times a week and maybe sneak in a pickup game of soccer once a week as well.

I've always lifted weights, but have toned it down over the past few years and I just try to keep fit while maintaining strength.

My routine is something like this: 10 min warmup on stationary bike or eliptical - 30-40 minutes of free weights - 30-35 minutes of running on the treadmill or eliptical (if my knees and ankles are acting up).

I used to play soccer in leagues on weekends as well, but numerous injuries have forced me to cut that out of my routine.

Playing soccer regularly used to keep me super fit and I ate whatever and drank whatever I wanted. Age (I'm an old bastard) and playing soccer less has seen me gain a few pounds over the past couple years.

I eat pretty well most of the time, but it's the beer man. I notice if I cut that out for a couple weeks I slim down pretty quick.

My routine is pretty old school, so I'm liking the newer ideas and approaches people are posting up here.

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#27 romero03

romero03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:USMNT

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

I usually go to the gym 4-5 times a week for 2hrs at a time. The first hour I'll be on the treadmill. I'll run for 30min at a 6.1 speed. For 20 min I'll increase the incline to 9. During that time I do a mix of run/walk. The last 10 min I'll do a cool down.

The second hour I'll do weights. I do upper body & legs. The only non machine I don't use when doing weights is the bench press. Sounds like I should do more free weights.

With all that you'd think I'd be in excellent shape, but it's a struggle to lose the weight. I hardly drink anything besides water. I not able to snack as much throughout the day as I would like. I don't eat passed 10pm. It's hard to cut more calories now unless I starve myself, which wouldn't do me any good.

Frustrates me that I put in the work, but don't see much better results for the time I put in. I'm at 205 now, last year I was at about 238. For the longest time I was stuck at 215 which was frustrating as well. My goal has been to get to 200 for awhile now, but I'm at a plateau again. Next goal after that would be 190. Ideally I'd like to be at 170-175.

Again, I'd like to say FUCK YOU Metabolism!!!

Edit* I usually go to the gym midday, except days I have school, those are my off days, but with work picking up a lot now it's harder to fit in the gym. I should also add when I go to the gym I ride my bike on over since it's only about a mile away.
Twitter

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Galaxy, LA Kings, ASU, Notre Dame(football)

#28 Chalky

Chalky

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

I run 3-4 days a week. 4 miles a day. Yoga 2-3 times a week. Steam room every other day.

Whatever you do in the gym, listen to Metallica or speed metal. That music is like coke without the withdraws.

Say what?!?! It's been so long I can not lovingly picture you any more.

#29 cesar

cesar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Say what?!?! It's been so long I can not lovingly picture you any more.

i still look the same. seems like the more exercise i do, the hungrier i get.

#30 Random Mayhem

Random Mayhem

First Team

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Interests:Soccer and Strippers
  • Supports:Galaxy, USMNT, NUFC

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

i shake weight all day long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users