60 replies to this topic

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Burke #2 would beat out our plan from this past season which had a late arriving Fletcher who barely played as the #2.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,760 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Philly is stacked.  He wasn't benched behind Klimala, he had Gazdag, Carranza and Uhre in front of him.   His numbers coming off the bench are outstanding.   He's was on pace for a 15 goal season, with plenty of assists.  I know super-sub numbers rarely translate to full time shifts, but he's a legit starter on a lot of teams in the league.

They are also didnt keep him because they are making room for Sullivan who looked really good in the u20s.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,760 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Philly fans for the most part have said that Burke thrives more off the bench than as a starter. They describe him a lot like Barlow, but actually good at soccer. A huge body you throw out for the last half hour to punish tired defenders. They warned his goal and assist tally last year was maybe a tiny bit flattering compared to the eye test, but overall have good things to say.

Ideal world is still that we sell Klimala, buy a new #1, buy Manoel or an equivalent #2, and have Burke as #3. I'm trying to decide how big of a deal it would be if Burke was the #2 guy if one of the other moves doesn't materialize. Hopefully not too bad?

See the burke signing as an insurance policy. If we cant find a DP or Klimala keeps up with his shooting woes then burke will most likely be the starter.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,046 posts

Philly fans for the most part have said that Burke thrives more off the bench than as a starter. They describe him a lot like Barlow, but actually good at soccer. A huge body you throw out for the last half hour to punish tired defenders. They warned his goal and assist tally last year was maybe a tiny bit flattering compared to the eye test, but overall have good things to say.

Ideal world is still that we sell Klimala, buy a new #1, buy Manoel or an equivalent #2, and have Burke as #3. I'm trying to decide how big of a deal it would be if Burke was the #2 guy if one of the other moves doesn't materialize. Hopefully not too bad?

Burke is a upgrade to our current strikers. Ok with him as 2

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,321 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Sign him just to score revenge braces vs. the Union.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts
  • Supports:New York

Glad we signed an experienced guy, good signing. We need more of that mix between youth & veterans, and it's nice to get a guy who already knows MLS, knows the stadiums, knows the weakness of MLS defenders, know how other teams play, etc.; zero learning curve on the league, he just has to work on meshing with the guys. Wonderful.

There are a bunch of guys who aren't super flashy but are consistent MLS goal scorers, guys like Kei Kamara and others, who would've fit the bill around here even if they weren't perfect system fits, they were reliable options up top. I recall games of us bringing Barlow in when down a goal, or lobbing crosses in to Omir Fernandez thinking "wait...this isn't actually our strategy, is it...?" I guess at times it devolved into that, who knows, but I'm glad we at least have someone with a bit more pedigree on the end of whatever we're sending into the box next year. Hopefully those games of starting Omir up top alone or whatever we had available up top because we didn't feel confident in our actual strikers are behind us. I'm not super confident Struber will figure out what to do with whoever we sign anyway, but, whatever chance at success we do have rests on getting some quality finishers. Far too often last year our offense turned into Lewis Morgan & rubbing a fucking rabbit's foot. 

Now go get 2 more solid forwards, please. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,181 posts

It's going to be official any minute now according to the Red Bulls twitter feed. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts
  • Supports:Metro, NYRBII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

It's going to be official any minute now according to the Red Bulls twitter feed. 

Looks like he will wear #7.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,365 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Officially official...

https://www.newyorkr...to-mls-contract

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Nice to have one square of the roster sudoku filled in with ink so soon.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

fact that we resigned Nealis, Tolkin as well as signing Burke this early and submitting a couple bids for Manoel I like that Jochen is not wasting time.  i am guessing though we have a little wait for next signing as they figure out what Long wants to do.  if he goes have another TAM salary to play around with

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Supports:Metro

fact that we resigned Nealis, Tolkin as well as signing Burke this early and submitting a couple bids for Manoel I like that Jochen is not wasting time.  i am guessing though we have a little wait for next signing as they figure out what Long wants to do.  if he goes have another TAM salary to play around with

long aint coming back and I think they know that

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Was our last philly reject le toux?

Same type of gamble tbh.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,044 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Was our last philly reject le toux?

Same type of gamble tbh.

That was one of my biggest (of many) fails - I really thought he was going to be a great pickup for us.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,554 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

That was one of my biggest (of many) fails - I really thought he was going to be a great pickup for us.

You are in good company, it seemed like such a solid bet at the time.

I think I recall Le Toux came here with the impression he would play striker instead of winger and then got upset when he was asked to play winger? Cooper was having a monster season, no way Backe could ever mix things up at that point.

The worst part was I think he went back to Philly next where he lead the league in assists as a winger...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users