571 replies to this topic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Anyone have an nj.com subscription? I'd like to know what they consider NJ's top 15 soccer bars but I'm not so interested as to fork out the money

https://www.nj.com/e...22-matches.html

I don't, but it's a little-known that that MANY (not all) paywalls can be bypassed with a quick Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C to select the entire document and copy it away before paywall activates.

Amid a raucous sea of American football, baseball and basketball, soccer has still never truly been embraced in the U.S. as it has by the rest of the world.

But hey, give Americans a reason to jump on the bandwagon, yell at screens or revel freely, and suddenly soccer is in. With FIFA World Cup 2022 kicking off Sunday in Qatar, we’ve rounded up a slew of soccer-enthusiastic sports bars and pubs around New Jersey where watching the matches will not only make you look like you know soccer but feel like a legitimate fan.

Tommy Fox’s Public House, Bergenfield

A self-proclaimed “World Cup Headquarters”, Tommy Fox’s is building off of their quality 2018 World Cup programming, opening at 10:30 a.m. for all 11 a.m. matches, and will show all USA Games on their big screen. To sweeten the deal, if there’s is a pre-11 a.m. EST match you want to catch, just wrangle up 10 people and they will gladly accommodate.

D’Arcy’s Tavern, Bradley Beach

“The Shore’s Home to Soccer,” D’Arcy’s Tavern in Bradley Beach is a go-to. This place draws a serious crowd, so if that kind of energy gets you going, D’Arcy’s is your soccer viewing spot, shore local or not. They will be streaming all World Cup games live, and if history repeats itself, will throw another parking lot party for the Final.

Blarney Station, East Rutherford

Blarney Station has been serving East Rutherford for almost 20 years and during World Cup matches, will be offering daily food, drink and happy hour specials available. As in former World Cup years, Blarney Station will have a solid selection of team-specific beers on tap, ranging from German Pilsners, Warsteiner, Carlsberg and more.

Firkin Tavern, Ewing

Touted as “Mercer County’s premier soccer bar” and legitimately the first craft beer bar featuring 37 drafts and over 20 bottles and cans, this English/American/Irish gastropub will be showing the World Cup matches starting at 11am on November 20th. Cozy up with your brew of choice in front of one of their 17 TVs or their 100-inch big screen projector. Those less interested in soccer can hang in Firkin’s game room (21 and older), complete with darts, 2 pool tables, shuffle board, air hockey, giant jingo golden tee and more.

Mulligan’s Pub, Hoboken

With a motto like “Every game, every minute, every play,” the high bar that Mulligan’s Pub in Hoboken sets is delivered upon, especially during the World Cup when they will open early for each match. If you’re still in doubt, just stumble outside where you’ll find a World Cup trophy carved into a stump of a fallen tree. To please the masses, Mulligans will offer a variety of custom drink specials for loyal fan bases like Croatia, Germany, Poland and more.

Ed & Mary’s, Jersey City

The vibe in Hoboken’s neighboring town of Jersey City may be a little more mellow, but they still know how to turn it up for major sporting events. Pop in to unassuming, family-owned Hamilton Park local, Ed & Mary’s for any of the 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. soccer matches while you take on their impressive selection of draft, canned and bottled beers.

Scots American Club, Kearny

Kearny is a historical hub for soccer, more specifically, the Scottish-American community,

Formed in 1931, the Scots American Club’s goal of making immigrant Scots feel at home in New Jersey was a consequence of being home to some of the earliest soccer games played in the United States. Fast forward to today, when you can head over to the bar at the Scots Club to experience a slice of that history while enjoying the soccer matches on their flat screens and a rotating selection of Scottish and local craft beers. Bonus points: the club has a professional-grade shuffleboard table, darts a pool table, and private rooms that can be reserved.

Mickey’s Bar & Grill, Lyndhurst

Big groups rejoice! Mickey’s Bar & Grill is a great choice if you’re rolling deep during the World Cup. Home to the $39 Party Special, a four hour-long, 2-course meal (pasta and salad) and and two hours of $1 off drinks for 40 people in their semi-private Party Room, Mickey’s also has 50 televisions, so if you can’t score the party room, there’s plenty of opportunities to watch the World Cup otherwise.

Hailey’s Harp & Pub, Metuchen

“When you’re at Hailey’s, you’ll always be among friends,” their website states … unless they’re on the other team. An official watch site for the American Outlaws, a nationwide organization that supports the U.S. Men’s and Women’s Soccer Teams, Hailey’s will be showing all U.S. Men’s Soccer Team matches (completed with the signature team banners strung up around the pub), offering drink and food specials, giveaways and other festive surprises.

Grasshopper Off The Green, Morristown

During the World Cup, Morristown’s tri-floor Grasshopper Off The Green has historically followed their soccer fan patron’s lead when it comes to opening times during the World Cup. If the demand is there, they will open for the early games, offering multiple beer specials to accommodate the varied start times for most matches.

Barca City Cafe, New Brunswick

Soccer and sangria, olé! Inspired by “Barça,” better known as FC Barcelona and one of Europe’s most famous soccer teams, Barca City Cafe & Bar will be one of the best places for the RU crowd and beyond to catch the World Cup matches. Post up in front of one of their six plasma TVs while enjoying some tasty tapas.

Golden Rail Pub, New Brunswick

A Rutgers University right of passage, the recently reopened Golden Rail is a great place to set up shop during one of the soccer matches. Fans can pop in early for the 10 a.m. matches. RU students - cutting class for soccer is highly discouraged.

The Dublin House, Red Bank

The Dublin House in Red Bank is no stranger to soccer, touting a schedule of English Premier League games during non-World Cup times. To enhance their already soccer-centric programming, they will be showing all World Cup matches after 10am, including drink specials, giveaways and more.

Darby Road Public House, Scotch Plains

The dream child of two locals, Joseph Mortarulo, an ex-pro soccer player and restauranteur, John “Skip” Brandi, Darby Road Public House is Scotch Plain’s “Irish Soccer Pub that redefines the New Jersey pub experience.” They will have a World Cup HQ tent that will officially open on Monday, November 21st, where US Mens National Team fans can watch the matches on big screens while enjoying food, drinks and giveaways.

The Cottage Bar, Teaneck

Fans of English Premier League’s Liverpool FC know The Cottage Bar well, but diehard soccer fans revel in the energy of this high-energy Irish pub. A variety go lunch and dinner specials will run during the World Cup, but it’s the melting pot of fans and high-octane viewing experience that draws soccer enthusiasts in time and time again.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

jjtbone

jjtbone

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Supports:RBNY Player Hatah!

I don't, but it's a little-known that that MANY (not all) paywalls can be bypassed with a quick Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C to select the entire document and copy it away before paywall activates.

Metrofanatic drops some knowledge on us again!!!!  Now tell me why you have not been on seeing red recently?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Metrofanatic drops some knowledge on us again!!!!  Now tell me why you have not been on seeing red recently?

They haven't asked since Dave left.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Anyone have an nj.com subscription? I'd like to know what they consider NJ's top 15 soccer bars but I'm not so interested as to fork out the money

You can search NJ top soccer bars and scroll to the article.
Personally, I was not impressed with Darcys, the one time I went.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Can anyone recommend a good place to watch a WC game in the Bronx or Westchester?

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Can anyone recommend a good place to watch a WC game in the Bronx or Westchester?

In the Bronx probably Stan's near the blue teams baseball stadium

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
I think Long should start v Wales since they are good in the air 65 Kieffer Moore and counter
Ream v England
And then depending on game form for game 3

Heard mention some people say Weah or Pulisic as false 9 to pull out Welsh D
Weah kinda declined to answer if he was getting reps at the 9
Hum - dont hate Weah as 9 which allows the best players on the field
McKennie full training but questions on fit sharpness- I would start him with Aaronson sub later and the reverse v England

Also maybe Shaq Moore over Dest as he may not be fit and Berhalter specifically said Moore is good 1v1 in space . But then again yedlin for experience and EPL experience

Hearing more talk about how this is more like a final as so critical to win to advance - 70% change advancing if you win first game
But if you lose only ~ 12% advancing

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Weah has played the 9 before for various clubs.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

Weah has played the 9 before for various clubs.

True.but he has recently been playing as RB for Lille. Im not sure if it was tactical or for game sharpness. Im hoping for a big tournament for Weah cause he can be a difference maker.

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

Mickey’s Bar & Grill, Lyndhurst

I have visited here many times since it is just a short walk over the bridge from where I live. More of a hidden gem than a destination but a good place to catch a game and quality eats & drink when the spirit so moves you.

When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

In the Bronx probably Stan's near the blue teams baseball stadium

Thanks.

Bjorn The Bear

Bjorn The Bear

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Supports:RBNY - Nets - USMNT

Tyler Adams named captain 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Tyler Adams named captain 

Wonderful!

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

You don't have to worry about goal differential if you win every game  ;)

Let's go USA! Starting to feel the butterflies

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
Grant wahl not being let in to the stadium to cover the game due to his t shirt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users