54 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Think you've said this before, but why do you think it's self-appointed and not manager-mandated? BWP doesn't strike me as the type of player to disregard managers' instructions.

Because you bring on a second striker for a reason, and the reason is not for BWP to take over as the creative mid.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Think you've said this before, but why do you think it's self-appointed and not manager-mandated? BWP doesn't strike me as the type of player to disregard managers' instructions.

Not only that but Marsch doesn't seem like the kind of coach who would let a player just go out there with a totally different role than what was written up on the board. I remember an article where he was suspended for a game and watching from the rafters at RBA. At one point he was freaking out because Lade was like 5 yards out of position on one play. BWP going rogue in the midfield sounds like a move that'd get even a legend like him benched.

Its almost irrelevant though because like Scouse said, its what happens every time BWP is out there with a second striker. Maybe its the type of second strikers they've tried to pair him with? It wasn't an issue with Henry who preferred to drop deep and distribute. Meanwhile guys like Barlow, Veron, Gulbrandsen, Jorgensen, are all strikers who play off the CB's shoulders and try to get in behind, exactly what BWP excels at.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Not only that but Marsch doesn't seem like the kind of coach who would let a player just go out there with a totally different role than what was written up on the board. I remember an article where he was suspended for a game and watching from the rafters at RBA. At one point he was freaking out because Lade was like 5 yards out of position on one play. BWP going rogue in the midfield sounds like a move that'd get even a legend like him benched.

Its almost irrelevant though because like Scouse said, its what happens every time BWP is out there with a second striker. Maybe its the type of second strikers they've tried to pair him with? It wasn't an issue with Henry who preferred to drop deep and distribute. Meanwhile guys like Barlow, Veron, Gulbrandsen, Jorgensen, are all strikers who play off the CB's shoulders and try to get in behind, exactly what BWP excels at.

Right, we've seen that it happens very consistently. Just questioning that the reason for it is BWP deciding to play deeper and now multiple managers just letting him do it against their wishes. Benching him immediately seems like a stretch, but surely if he was reminded what's asked of him, he'd follow through even if he disagrees? Ultimate team player, etc.

I can totally see BWP occasionally/intuitively dropping deep if someone else plays in "his" zone, but I absolutely can't see him actively ignoring Jesse or even Armas if he's actually asked to still play up top.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I remember a match (CCL maybe) where he was dropping so far back so often that the fanbase was in an uproar only for Marsch to say that was the gameplan.

So yeah, I dont see BWP going rogue on tactics.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I remember a match (CCL maybe) where he was dropping so far back so often that the fanbase was in an uproar only for Marsch to say that was the gameplan.

So yeah, I dont see BWP going rogue on tactics.

Makes zero sense as a gameplan, and complete sense for Jesse not to call him out on it publicly.  Its far inconceivable for me that multiple coaches would choose that as a strategy, and far more conceivable that they just tolerate it because he's B Dubs.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Barlow apparently signed to a first team contract

https://twitter.com/...9823897600?s=21

With BWP still questionable and a short turnaround, could we see him start vs. MTL?

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Barlow apparently signed to a first team contract

https://twitter.com/...9823897600?s=21

With BWP still questionable and a short turnaround, could we see him start vs. MTL?

Well Id rather see if he has the goods for this level early in the season.

But START? I dunno about that.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

it's quite possible that Barlow'll be White's backup tmw. Jorgensen will prob play the full 90 for RB2 early tmw AM. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Did we have to cut anyone when we signed barlow?

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Did we have to cut anyone when we signed barlow?

No we had two open senior roster spots. Despite the MLSsoccer.com article that we had a reserve spot open, we do not. They haven't included Omir Fernandez. Interested to see who they move up.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

START? I dunno about that.

Well then.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Not a good debut..

oof.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
What kind of dumbass starts essentially a rookie 4 hours after singing him to the squad????

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

What kind of dumbass starts essentially a rookie 4 hours after singing him to the squad????

Chris Armas?

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

Not a good debut..

oof.

I didn't see the game, did he look actively bad? Or did he just have no chances?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users