270 replies to this topic

Bklynfootballer

Bklynfootballer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA
Did anyone hear Charlie Davies questioning the ambition of hiring Struber. Said something to the effect of "if I'm a Red Bulls fan, I'm not happy about this".

I'm pretty happy about this. Even if this guy ends up sucking, it's a sign of intent, of interest. Low bar, but Austria acknowledging our existence is a huge step up.

Also someone should have pointed out our history of coaches with impressive resumes.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I think the pundits will change their stance when they find out that his buyout clause to get him was a couple mil. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Gerhard #Struber has made a decision and is taking on the trainer job at @NewYorkRedBulls

. Three year contract. Red Bull is paying a fee of 2 million euros for the return campaign. A hefty sum for someone who was @FCLiefering not so long ago
-Coach has passed.

as long as we put a similar buyout clause in his contract i am good with this.  The guy hasnt stayed at a job for more than a year.  Hopefully he helps us right the ship for 2-3 years before jumping back to Europe. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Did anyone hear Charlie Davies questioning the ambition of hiring Struber. Said something to the effect of "if I'm a Red Bulls fan, I'm not happy about this".

I'm pretty happy about this. Even if this guy ends up sucking, it's a sign of intent, of interest. Low bar, but Austria acknowledging our existence is a huge step up.

Also someone should have pointed out our history of coaches with impressive resumes.

He's clueless.  Wants us to hire a Frank de Boer to dick around here.  We dont "splash the cash" on players but for sporting side management and support staff Red Bull has no budget.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Barnsley is playing Coventry RIGHT NOW. Is he coaching?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

I would rather spend 2M on a DP striker NOT named Jorgensen, but this.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I cant see how any one would have any complaints about this move.  I'm going to chalk Armas up to being a Moyes type move - he was blessed by the highly respected Marsch as his replacement, and they gave him time to prove himself.   They didn't give him the talent to succeed, but Armas and Hamlett have hardly shown capable of spending their money wisely.   We shall see what kind of budget Thelwell has to work with, with Yearwood and Tetteh the first tests of his scouting ability.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

If this does go through, the Die Hard gifs/jokes/memes will get some run. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I cant see how any one would have any complaints about this move.  I'm going to chalk Armas up to being a Moyes type move - he was blessed by the highly respected Marsch as his replacement, and they gave him time to prove himself.   They didn't give him the talent to succeed, but Armas and Hamlett have hardly shown capable of spending their money wisely.   We shall see what kind of budget Thelwell has to work with, with Yearwood and Tetteh the first tests of his scouting ability.

I get the sense that Tetteh was more of an, "oh fuck our initial targets failed to work out and this guy can be on a flight tomorrow with zero risk on our end" addition. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

Speaking of Tetteh, Struber signed his LASK teammate for Barnsley this offseason:

https://en.wikipedia...Dominik_Frieser

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
Looks like this is done deal with us paying 2 million in transfer fee.

I'll go into this with an open mind and hope he does a good job, looks like he has a good track record but mls is always a totally different ballgame.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Charlie Davies is an idiot, 99% of us are happy with this move Bc we don't care about names we care about ability and this guy has a good track record everywhere he's gone. How it will work out is unknown but I'm happy with this.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

Charlie always has a negative take on NYRB and is trolling

I am happy with this move. Seems good with youth development too. He must have conversation like Thiewell did on spenind as that is a concern with current owners.
2-3 year deal and you get to coach RBS

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I would rather spend 2M on a DP striker NOT named Jorgensen, but this.

My hope is that it's not an either/or situation going forward.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Yea, not sure why he said that.... We have been at or near the bottom of the league in spending for how long now, 5 years? The fact that we just brought in a new GM from a respectable team in Wolves and Red Bull are willing to spend 2M on a coach is very encouraging. Red Bull aren't gonna spend money on a coach like that just to have him coach a bunch of Alex Muyls and Jared Strouds. You have to think some signings are coming too. It looks like ownership are at least taking this team SOMEHWAT seriously now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users