126 replies to this topic

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Theyd only have 1 left if they dont offload Jensen or loan down Carmona. These seem like obvious moves for them to make.

GK isnt a position that you would want or need to rotate on a regular basis, and Id imagine the motivation for the signing + leaving both GK unprotected in the expansion draft was looking for an obvious upgrade.

Most Salzburg fans prefer Coronel to their current #1 Stankovic, but hes being offloaded because they just spent a couple million on a young German GK who should be on the fast track to the starting spot in Austria.

carmona is being loaned down dont even bother penciling him in

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Getting rid of Jensen is the only move that makes sense from an international spot situation.  Meara was also better than Jensen last season in my opinion.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Getting rid of Jensen is the only move that makes sense from an international spot situation.  Meara was also better than Jensen last season in my opinion.  

Jensen had a better goals saved above replacement

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

Cincinnati scored 12 goals last year. FIVE of them were against Jensen.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
Yeah and none were his fault iirc which is why Gsar is a good tool better than GAA or saves which are really defensive metrics

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Meara is injury prone. Jensen isnt great.

Meh.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Cincinnati scored 12 goals last year. FIVE of them were against Jensen.

Cincy tonight spent over a $1mm for every goal they scored last year to fix that supposedly. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Yeah and none were his fault iirc which is why Gsar is a good tool better than GAA or saves which are really defensive metrics

Meara's xGA was roughly 2 better than Jensen's (-2.27 v. -0.39).

I'm surprised both were below 0.

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Meara's xGA was roughly 2 better than Jensen's (-2.27 v. -0.39).

I'm surprised both were below 0.

xga and Ga are bad metrics for goalies imo its a defensive metrics Jensen played behind of a crappy Parker for most of his game meara benefited from playing behind a much more in sync and locked in defense

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out
Is this new keeper real good with his feet/ball distribution? I think Meara and Jensesn are perfectly capable ball stoppers.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Jensen had a better goals saved above replacement

Sure, but it's not like Jensen's GSAR was great.  Also, the sample size was small (both played less than a 1/3 of a regular season).  Plus, Jensens biggest margin over Meara was in the Misc category, which "covers a wide spectrum of actions...lumped together...because they’re not consistently repeatable actions from season-to-season"*.

Neither keeper is elite by MLS standards, and we should be looking to upgrade.  But as a backup, between these two, I'm not sure it matters much or if we even have enough data to make an informed decision.  Probably keep the guy that is less of a cap hit.

*https://everybodysoc...keepers-like-to

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
The team's most pressing need of GK will be fixed with one year loan for Coronel

https://twitter.com/...6379245573?s=20

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

The team's most pressing need of GK will be fixed with one year loan for Coronel

https://twitter.com/...6379245573?s=20

I wonder if this is about distribution more than anything else. Coronel is really good in that regard and I wonder if he team's metrics on Meara and Jensen were poor there.

In any case, yeah, I don't think an improvement a GK is going to turn around an otherwise mediocre team. Still desperately need an attacker who can change the game. 

Also kind of makes the exposure of both Meara and Jensen during expansion a bit more clear in terms of intentions. They just don't rate them for whatever reason. I wonder which one moves. 

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

Official: https://www.newyorkr...d-bull-salzburg

Loan for the entire year with an option to buy.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

xga and Ga are bad metrics for goalies imo its a defensive metrics Jensen played behind of a crappy Parker for most of his game meara benefited from playing behind a much more in sync and locked in defense

Or meara is better at organizing his defense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users