78 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Looks like all 3 went the full 90 in the goalless draw against league leaders Brugge yesterday.

A little history, from when these two clubs were huge in Europe: https://thesefootbal...ings-of-europe/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
IG rumor mill say MLS is interested in Kemar....

I'd love to have Taxi back
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

Looks like all 3 went the full 90 in the goalless draw against league leaders Brugge yesterday.

A little history, from when these two clubs were huge in Europe: https://thesefootbal...ings-of-europe/

Bottom dweller Cercle Brugge

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Doubt Taxi would come back here, irrespective of the diff ppl involved. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Doesn't say whether its straight from a source of just Ives' perception but the article says NYRB won't be making a bid.

Taxi will want at least a TAM-level contract wherever he lands. Seems like the ship has sailed but in a vacuum I'd be happy giving him Parker's TAM.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Bottom dweller Cercle Brugge

No wonder I could not find any highlights!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Doesn't say whether its straight from a source of just Ives' perception but the article says NYRB won't be making a bid.

Taxi will want at least a TAM-level contract wherever he lands. Seems like the ship has sailed but in a vacuum I'd be happy giving him Parker's TAM.

He is not worth it. Injury prone.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

He is not worth it. Injury prone.

and a headcase at this point

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Taxi was amazing for us, but given his recent history Im not sure hes as reliable an investment anymore.

Also, hes 28. If you buy now youre buying for the long term and youre buying to play the guy every game. Are we okay locking up good money in him while Tolkin is a possible future player at that position?

I think Id rather go for a very good 30 year old. Solid but not spectacular. Good locker room guy. Someone who might not be an assist machine relative to the position, but a guy who is a lockdown defender. Someone Pendant and/or Tolkin would have to work hard to take his spot, but a guy who is not in our plans in 2 years time.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Taxi was amazing for us, but given his recent history Im not sure hes as reliable an investment anymore.

Also, hes 28. If you buy now youre buying for the long term and youre buying to play the guy every game. Are we okay locking up good money in him while Tolkin is a possible future player at that position?

I think Id rather go for a very good 30 year old. Solid but not spectacular. Good locker room guy. Someone who might not be an assist machine relative to the position, but a guy who is a lockdown defender. Someone Pendant and/or Tolkin would have to work hard to take his spot, but a guy who is not in our plans in 2 years time.

usually i hate signings like that but for left back i completely agree. we basically need a stopgap/mentor.  Which would actually make kieran gibbs a decent option if the money was right.  I dont see Kemar's ability to stay healthy improving as he ages

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

usually i hate signings like that but for left back i completely agree. we basically need a stopgap/mentor.  Which would actually make kieran gibbs a decent option if the money was right.  I dont see Kemar's ability to stay healthy improving as he ages

I wouldnt ever suggest this kind of signing unless we had a half decent prospect waiting in the wings.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
With the failed approach for Kahl maybe they dont rate Tolkin as highly. Dont know why else you would try to bring in a LB the same age as Tolkin on a permanent deal

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

With the failed approach for Kahl maybe they dont rate Tolkin as highly. Dont know why else you would try to bring in a LB the same age as Tolkin on a permanent deal

you cant really assume that any young player thats really good will stay here for more than 2-3 years.  So I dont think someone like Kahl blocks Tolkin since no one here is expecting Tolkin to be good enough to start this season.  Plus Tolkin can play in other positions if he really pushes on. 

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

I feel like Struber/Thelwell are trying to put together a real roster with depth - one that's heavy on youth for development and backup for injury. Based on the RB position depth and Struber's preference for overpopulating the middle of field, I think he sees it essential to have a couple "starter-quality" players in the LB/LWB and RB/RWB roles.    

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

I feel like Struber/Thelwell are trying to put together a real roster with depth - one that's heavy on youth for development and backup for injury. Based on the RB position depth and Struber's preference for overpopulating the middle of field, I think he sees it essential to have a couple "starter-quality" players in the LB/LWB and RB/RWB roles.    

Thats great, but dont think you spend a sizable transfer fee, although it looks like they arent interested in spending any more than $1 million, on another LB if you dont have hopes that they are going to be in the XI most match days.

My hope if they bring in another LB is that they offload Pendant and/or Egbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users