78 replies to this topic

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I feel like Struber/Thelwell are trying to put together a real roster with depth - one that's heavy on youth for development and backup for injury. Based on the RB position depth and Struber's preference for overpopulating the middle of field, I think he sees it essential to have a couple "starter-quality" players in the LB/LWB and RB/RWB roles.    

and I mean a couple starter quality guys year after year - always have a couple guys in the hopper... 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

and I mean a couple starter quality guys year after year - always have a couple guys in the hopper... 

MLS restrictions make that difficult if you are interested in balancing your roster.

If they bring in another LB, theyll have 5/20 senior roster spots and 4/10 international spots committed to outside backs.

It wouldnt be as much of an issue if getting green cards was universally easy for every MLS team. Here in the NY area its a much longer process, and we cant churn those spots like other teams.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I feel like Struber/Thelwell are trying to put together a real roster with depth - one that's heavy on youth for development and backup for injury. Based on the RB position depth and Struber's preference for overpopulating the middle of field, I think he sees it essential to have a couple "starter-quality" players in the LB/LWB and RB/RWB roles.    

the reason they want depth is so that if a team comes in with a good offer for a player you can sell without killing the first team.  which given where MLS is in the soccer ecosystem is smart.  If we had 2021 Caden Clark last offseason we could have moved on from Kaku and got our 6mm.  But we didnt have anyone on the team that could do the job at anywhere close to the same level.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Thats great, but dont think you spend a sizable transfer fee, although it looks like they arent interested in spending any more than $1 million, on another LB if you dont have hopes that they are going to be in the XI most match days.

My hope if they bring in another LB is that they offload Pendant and/or Egbo

That's how MLS works now, sure, with wanting players with transfer fees to start. However, with the additional Youth DP  spots, there will certainly be bench guys who had multimillion dollar transfer fees moving forward.

I think you can definitely have Pendant, Tolkin and Kahl (if he came) competing for time at LB. Competition can help clarify what success is. If someone rides the bench, so be it. If Tolkin beats out Pendant and Kahl, that's great - then he must be pretty good.   

The Young DP title takes care of the hit caused by transfer fee as far as salary cap. The issue with Kahl, in my unresearched view, is that Red Bull obviously are not convinced Kahl is a good investment at the requested price. He looks like a good investment at $600k, but not $2.5MM. I dont think it necessarily means they dont like Tolkin.     

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

MLS restrictions make that difficult if you are interested in balancing your roster.

If they bring in another LB, theyll have 5/20 senior roster spots and 4/10 international spots committed to outside backs.

It wouldnt be as much of an issue if getting green cards was universally easy for every MLS team. Here in the NY area its a much longer process, and we cant churn those spots like other teams.

I think, with the overload the center approach by Struber, outside backs are required to be a position of strength in terms of skill and (as importantly) depth. You gotta have dudes who can run and run. 

Not sure what the balance should be, but I expect it to be tilted towards outside backs.  

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

So he expects workhorses as outside backs. We're gonna need to go 2 deep at the position going fwd, with ~3 dozen games total. 25 starts for new upgrade at LB, the rest for Pendant/Tolkin. 25 starts for Edwards at RB, the rest for Duncan, I guess. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

reyes7

reyes7

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Supports:rbny

Highlights: RSC Anderlecht - KV Kortrijk - YouTube

Murillo out on a yellow card suspension.

Miazga on the bench.

Didn't look like one of Lawrence's best games.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
Kemar with a goal today

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts

So Sam Vines chose to resign with MLS, getting close to $500k. That's more than what Taxi got, pre-incentives. C'est la guerre, mes amis. 

https://twitter.com/...035665749942275

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Vines is putting more trust in them to sell him when a decent offer comes around than i would. .  Though at least at such a large wage Colorado shouldn't be looking to have a LB at that high of a number for long. 

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Speaking of problems at center defense, Miazga got a red card in the 13th minute in Anderlecht's playoff game this past weekend.  They lost 1-0.  I haven't seen the replay of it, but it sounded like Miazga gave the ball away and the guy was going in on a breakaway, so Miazga pulled his jersey.  

Miazga wants to stay at Anderlecht, but I read that Anderlecht might be interested in Carter-Vickers.  Not sure if that would be instead of Miazga or in addition to Miazga.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Miazga gave the ball away and the guy was going in on a breakaway, so Miazga pulled his jersey. 

Were they playing the ball around the back? jk
Looks more like a long pass & a weak red,
as they were even with another defender closer to goal.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=wXAxtR3ku3w

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Were they playing the ball around the back?

The one account that I read said something about the ball coming off of Miazga's thigh and Miazga pulling the jersey.  Here's another account that says that the Antwerp guy was in on goal alone and Miazga pulled him down.

https://newswep.com/...-europa-league/

Edit:  Here's the replay, the red card is at about 0:35.

https://www.youtube....h?v=wXAxtR3ku3w

Looks harsh.  Long ball that Miazga played clumsily off his thigh.  The Antwerp guy took the ball and was blowing past Miazga and Miazga knocked him down or pulled his shirt, hard to tell.  It wasn't really a clear denial of a goal scoring opportunity, I think a yellow would have been the better call.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts

CCV is rated at $12m. Sounds pricey for Anderlecht. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

harsh.  Long ball that Miazga played clumsily off his thigh.  The Antwerp guy took the ball and was blowing past ... and Miazga knocked him down or pulled his shirt, hard to tell.  It wasn't really a clear denial of a goal scoring opportunity ... yellow would have been the better call.

I think Miazga did both, but barely. Not a DOGSO.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users