Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,845 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

You are not alone.
Still, in the spirit of Thats So Metro, there would have been something else that did us in.
3 for 23 on Shields.
0 for 23 MLS Cups.
0 for 22 US Open Cups.
0 for etc. all the other cups.

WhO cArEs AbOuT cUpS? 

or something. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,036 posts

Cause you're only talking about one play when Atlanta bossed us around for the entire 90 minutes of that game.

When one or two players look bad, even for just a key moment, by all means they deserve the blame. When everyone looks bad for the entire game, playing a style they had at most two weeks to prepare for, how do you not look at the coach?

It's simplistic to say it is the coaches fault. Players have to execute, they don't always. And even more important, the other side gets paid to play too. You had too evenly matched teams. Both won a leg, but we lost in the aggregate. Was there some "blame" to apportion? Most certainly, Probably a combination of coach and multiple players, but you also have to give Atlanta credit too. You aren't talking about some 2nd rate squad that "stole" a victory.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

The gameplan is what lost us that game 100%. You don't give a team like that any space to operate especially with the knowledge that they do not do well against our style of high press. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,220 posts

The gameplan is what lost us that game 100%. You don't give a team like that any space to operate especially with the knowledge that they do not do well against our style of high press. 

Agreed...

You just can't go with that gameplan.  Most of MLS goes with that gameplan against them and gets stomped regularly.  We are easily the best team in MLS of getting in player's faces and making things tough on them.  EXACTLY what you have to do to beat Atlanta.  And that's exactly why we had always beaten Atlanta.

It was just a stupid move.  I don't know that we would have won because they are the most talented team in MLS, but it would have given us a much better shot.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

When Lawrence got hurt they lost his poise / swag / leadership in addition to his MLS best XI skills and athleticism.

THIS!!! 1000%!

Ora e per sempre. Forza Metro!!!

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Supports:metro

WhO cArEs AbOuT cUpS? 

or something. 

The only cup I care about is the figurative one I wear when watching this team in the playoffs. You know for that inevitable kick in balls we always experience. That's so Metro!

And Olsen didn't turn DC into a bunch of whining, diving.. oh, nevermind

-MetroSquard

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,845 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

ATL changed their tactics playing NYCFC and for us. it was similar to what Cbus did to us in '15 and MTL in '16.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa

Don't get me wrong, I love Kemar, he's the best fullback I've ever seen in MLS. But he's still just one player, and one not named Leo Messi. We were OK when he missed games in the regular season, and we were OK when other key starters were missing too.

Our coach rolled out a game plan our team hadn't used since 2014, if we're talking about the entire team suddenly losing their swagger then that's the one and only answer for me.

Both / and situation. Yes the team should've had the depth / tactics to do better vs ATL without Kemar, but even taking his talent out of it, they were missing his unflappability. He's the longest tenured defensive starter, and he comes to play in big games. Best believe the team looks to him in tough moments, and 70,000 ATL cornballs in a dome going nuts for their stacked team is a tough moment.

The team's body language was lacking confidence in game 1, which might've been due to the tactics that Armas was supposedly prepping for before Taxi even got hurt, as well as to The Best Defense Ever missing a piece. 

Still think Tyler at LB with RZA in midfield would've been the adjustment to make. RZA did so well in the middle in the 2-0 at RBA and Adams' skillset was the most analogous to Taxi's available.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,163 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

WhO cArEs AbOuT cUpS? 

You cant say that, without two zeros.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,163 posts

evenly matched teams. Both won a leg, but we lost in the aggregate.

Ah, yes. I almost forgot.
That meaningless injury-time game-winning goal.
No consolation.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts

Agreed...

You just can't go with that gameplan.  Most of MLS goes with that gameplan against them and gets stomped regularly.  We are easily the best team in MLS of getting in player's faces and making things tough on them.  EXACTLY what you have to do to beat Atlanta.  And that's exactly why we had always beaten Atlanta.

It was just a stupid move.  I don't know that we would have won because they are the most talented team in MLS, but it would have given us a much better shot.

except ATL changed their gameplan to specifically deal with our stomping of them in Sep.  ATL was very sharp on the day and I agree we looked a bit tentative.

However, you will get scored on if you can't deal with slow developing play and a 40 yard cross.

We looked fine in the first half until that breakdown. 2nd half unfortunate call.  Wheels come off in the 70

Lets Lade the DR team, get Lawrence back and stomp thru CCL.  I need at lest another semifinal at RBA - this one I won't be out of town.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Duncan got injured.

We didnt replace Duncan during the summer window leaving ourselves with a weakness in the depth chart should another serious injury occur.

We didnt add the final attacking piece to put us over the top. We added...Ivan.

We had a mid season coaching change.

We played a style that Armas admitted to in that interview is exhausting and cant be counted on for an entire season.

Taxi got injured.

Two of our best players played a full 90 across the Atlantic days before the game.

Armas didnt do enough to prepare the team and admits as much in the interview.

Team didnt close down that cross in the first half.

Parker misjudged the cross.

Armas went with one game plan in the first half which was somehow getting the job done (minus the one breakdown) then lost his mind, changed things up and we coughed up 2 more.

We had multiple poor performances.

Some iffy calls didnt go our way.

....Thats why we lost.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,476 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I am not anti-Lade, but he offers zero in attack

Remember that one season with Henry? I dunno, I think our system puts a lot on our wide backs and Lade struggles - things were more simple in the 4-4-2 diamond when he made overlappng runs.

Sucks Duncan was injured.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,163 posts

Team didnt close down that cross in the first half.

Substitute Lade for Team, for his fair share of the blame.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,036 posts

Ah, yes. I almost forgot.
That meaningless injury-time game-winning goal.
No consolation.

Sounds like you need a hug.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users