JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I value the Shield more than the Cup.

That's the international standard: win the league & you are the Champion!

Of course, in the USA, it's different.

No one remembers who has the best record in baseball, football, basketball or hockey.

Win the World Series!  Win the Super Bowl!  Win the Stanley Cup!  Win the NBA playoffs!

This is why MLS has playoffs to begin with.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

I think the idea in the US that the only thing that matters is a playoff championship is kinda fucked when you think about it. 

As if something like what Golden State did in the NBA last year, which was only winning 87% of their games over the course of an 84 game season, is somehow diminished because they lost a winner-take-all game to this generation's best player.

It burns me a bit that consistent excellence over the long haul is reduced to a means of earning a slight advantage in the 'real' competition.  One of the things that drew me to soccer in the first place was that in most of the world this is not done at all, that the cup is not the only championship.

I definitely value the Shield over the Cup because it's a bigger accomplishment to be better than everyone else over all of those games.  This Metro team didn't lose a game for 3 months straight, and still didn't win the Shield.  Suppose they win the game 2-1 on Sunday and go home because of a quirk of the rules?  Is Montreal even the better team in that case?  It won't be clear to me...

That said, we need to win the Cup already.  Good teams need to show they are good when it counts, and unlike Golden State, for instance, that hasn't happened here yet.  And God knows we need to get one before Garber's Darlings across the river get a chance to.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

We have the same argument every year. Everyone is happy we won the shield twice, but I think most of us are over that and we'd like to get MLS Cup. This league has an unbalanced schedule, so ultimately it is not possible for the SS to be the top trophy. People can value what they want, but if Dallas fans go brag about the SS to other fans, no one is going to care. If they won MLS  Cup and did the same thing, everyone would care and be jealous.

Playoffs are a crap shoot in any league and I get the idea they do not tell the full story. But really, with an unbalanced schedule, it makes even more sense to have the playoffs. You play some eastern conference opponents twice, others three times. Ultimately we won the East, but we played all playoff teams 3 times. And 3/4 of the non playoff teams twice. So we possibly had a tougher schedule that other teams in the playoffs. So everyone needs to play well enough to get in, and then it is anyone's game. It's legit. Win the Cup.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

How easily some of us get over winning the Shield twice! 

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

How easily some of us get over winning the Shield twice! 

The two shields were AWESOME!

Very much appreciated! I would trade both for 1 MLS Cup - but that is my personal view! Definitely happy we won them. Definitely want us to win USOC and CCL once just to say we did (and CCL would be historic) too - for sure. They won't be the final goal in my eyes, but the more trophies the merrier.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

If the two shields were awesome, why would you trade them for one MLS Cup?

Someone else said they would trade five for one?  etc.

I wouldn't give up either of those shields for anything. 

And, I was at both Cup finals, in '03 & '08, and both Shield clinchers! 

Sure, I want us to win MLS Cup & the US Open Cup.

And, I also want to be there to see them both!

But, I'm not going to knock the Shields, or downplay either one.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Sure, I want us win MLS Cup & the US Open Cup.

It was getting late when I posted last night, but you said here the part I meant to say but left out because it was almost 2 AM.

It's not that I wouldn't value the Cup, of course it would be great to win.  But I wouldn't trade either Shield for it, the Shield is a legit title as well.  (It was the 5 for one comment that got me posting. )

Anyway, finally get one and it ends the argument once and for all. 

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

All 3 of the domestic trophies matter, as does the CCL. I remember for more than a decade and a half, we didn't have ANYTHING

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Sure, I want us win MLS Cup & the US Open Cup.

It's just my personal preference. You are ultimately judged by MLS Cups. For better or for worse, that is the case. The vast majority of fan think that way, the media think that way, sports casters think that way. It's just how it is, ya know? I want us to win every trophy every year, they are all worth competing for. But if I had to choose one, it's MLS Cup.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The shield is an accomplishment, but there was never a moment of tension for me during the pursuit. That is the thrill of the playoffs. The buildup for that one big game or series. The anticipation that one wrong move can send you home packing or have you cemented in league history as champions. You simply cannot get that from a regular season points title. Perhaps the things I mentioned are turnoffs for some, but not for me.

I would rather squeak into the playoffs (meaning a rather unmemorable regular season in all likelihood) if it meant I could be in 101 in December. Finishing first in the league makes the ride known as the regular season more enjoyable, but if it meant getting bounced in the first series, what fun is that?

Playoff atmosphere at Prudential Center and RBA are moments of intensity that I won't soon forget. The feeling for the shield wasn't the same. It wasn't even close. It's as simple as that for me.

Perhaps we should just make it a habit of winning all 4 titles each year to stop this argument.

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

What I find truly ironic is how many on these boards follow hockey and how none of them jump up and down when their team wins the President's Trophy.

Because winning the Stanley Cup is the grand prize.

Yet once it turns to soccer - doing the same thing is treated as being royalty and better than winning a random lucky competition like the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rangers fans see 2015 as a disappointment because they didn't win the Cup.   Not a great victory because they had the best record in the league.

I'm glad we won the 13 Shield.  It shut people up that we have 'no' silverware.  Watching the team tank 2 weeks later puts a big dull on that and allowed the 'you have no cups' crowd to march on.

I'm happy we won the 15 Shield too.   I'm not going to brag it about though.  Because in the end we ended up bowing out to a Columbus team that had like zero shutouts at home and the 'you have no cups' crowd still marched on.

I want to win a Cup - MLS ... or Open. 
I value that more over winning a Shield with an unbalanced and international break played schedule. 

And if we are being honest....I think we all would agree that we'd rather have the 13 cup vs winning the Shield.  Same for last year.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Soccer purists like the SS because it follows the rest of the world, and I get that. But the American in me screams PLAYOFFS!

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
Moral of the Story: Playoffs are stupid in soccer. We are clearly a better team than Montreal but the playoffs don't show that. Soccer is not a sport that should ever use playoffs to determine anything.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Moral of the Story: Playoffs are stupid in soccer. We are clearly a better team than Montreal but the playoffs don't show that. Soccer is not a sport that should ever use playoffs to determine anything.

Your endless bitching about this subject is so fucking annoying. We weren't the better team cause we fucking lost 2 games in a row! This isn't Europe and never will be Europe, nobody gives a fuck in American sports who wins the regular season title. Sure I enjoy winning the supporters shield but it doesn't mean shit when you cant back it up in the playoffs.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
I love how I get censored all the time for saying the truth about things. NewYorkRedBullsOut, I apologize if you are a teenager who doesn't know any better, but you sound like a fucking idiot. Learn some more about soccer and how it works and then come back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users