390 replies to this topic

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Are you kidding? Look how soft our "stars" have become. I am the biggest MLS fluffer in the world, but if you don't think MLS strengthened CONCACAF teams while weakening the US Nats you're delusional.

Like they'd be so much better sitting on the benches of Europe getting little playing time. And how did MLS make other countries players better than ours while simultaneously making ours worse? It makes no sense. The problem with US Soccer begins at the youth level with pay to play bullshit and terrible coaching. When making a list of problems with US Soccer MLS is nowhere near the top IMO.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Klinsmann was shit and deserves his share of the blame for his role in the team going down the toilet. Don't try and make him sound like a victim here.

With Klinsmann US team qualified for a world cup and got out of the group of death in the first round. This one is on Arenas. He was hired with one objective: get to the WC, and he failed. Losing to T&T when all you need is a draw against a pathetic opponent? Insisting on playing Howard, even though the drop off between last and this year was so apparent. Drawing both Panama and Honduras and now losing to T&T had nothing to do with Klinsmann, who was booted out after losses to CR and Mexico. All on pathetic excuse of a coach Arenas.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Klinsmann was shit and deserves his share of the blame for his role in the team going down the toilet. Don't try and make him sound like a victim here.

Not trying to make him sound like a victim.  I'm saying that MLS sucked Bruce's dick and now is quiet and mumbling things about Panama's goal not really counting instead of being honest and saying that Bruce was a bad choice as Klinsmann's replacement and has the same shortcomings that he did in 2006.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

With Klinsmann US team qualified for a world cup and got out of the group of death in the first round. This one is on Arenas. He was hired with one objective: get to the WC, and he failed. Losing to T&T when all you need is a draw against a pathetic opponent? Insisting on playing Howard, even though the drop off between last and this year was so apparent. Drawing both Panama and Honduras and now losing to T&T had nothing to do with Klinsmann, who was booted out after losses to CR and Mexico. All on pathetic excuse of a coach Arenas.

Nobody is giving Bruce a pass. He failed miserably. But to me if Jurgen wasn't fired he would've failed to get out of the group too. The silver lining here would be Jesse leaving for the Nats and us bringing back Bruce. He failed big time tonight, but he knows how to win in MLS.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
Im not so sure about that anymore.

All I know is I want Toronto in the playoffs just so I can boo the fuck out of Bradley and Altidore

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
I'm not sure if it will "damage" the sport as bad as people are saying.

Remember after Brazil everyone thought all the eurostars would want to play here in MLS and soccer would get a huge boost? The change -- if there has even been one -- isn't that noticeable. People who like soccer still are as avid of fans as ever while the people who don't like it continue to not give a shit. Domestic league attendance appears to be dropping even.

Fox will still get decent TV ratings for the games next summer because casuals and ex-pats will watch. Nike won't sell many of their kits but they are fine.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
On the plus side, we are only five years away from the culmination of US Soccer's (300 page) Plan to win the World Cup tournament. Everything is going perfectly according to plan. [/sarcasm]

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
while its true that we dont produce enough difference makers like pulisic often enough to where we have multiple pulisics in the same generation the fact is that the lack of hustle,grit,and heart is keeping the usmnt home this summer.

We play with that calm,composure, and arrogance of Spain....the problem is that spain is 100x more talented.

5 year plan

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Arena fuicked up, but he's been here a few months while Klinsy had the entire US program for years.    Our lack of young talent is on him - the failure to qualify for the Olympics shows the rot in the system.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Are you kidding? Look how soft our "stars" have become. I am the biggest MLS fluffer in the world, but if you don't think MLS strengthened CONCACAF teams while weakening the US Nats you're delusional.

So what great league(s) are the Trinidad and Tobago players developing in?

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Arena fucked up, but he's been here a few months while Klinsy had the entire US program for years.    Our lack of young talent is on him - the failure to qualify for the Olympics shows the rot in the system.

It's not Klinsmann's (or Arena's) job to coach up 17yos or 12 yos or 8 yos, or even current players. The job description isn't to train and improve established professionals in basic skills/passing/movement/defending in one- or two-week camps. Klinsmann wasn't a great tactician or a man motivator or a roster selector, and you can blame him for all that, but to claim that the lack of US talent is entirely on him seems misguided. Failure to qualify for the Olympics was indeed indicative but not of Klinsmann's failure.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

The idea to bring in Klinsmann was fine. Namely, try to model our program after Germany. After all, JK was their coach and he knew their program completely, and he was familiar with our program. It did not work out. But the idea was good. JK expected too much discipline from our players and when Landon decided to skip part of the WCQ and go on vacation, JK had to show he was the boss. Got away with not picking LD because we made the round of 16 on goal difference. But that could have also been due to Germany easing up on us in the Group Stage and going all out vs Portugal. So along comes Bruce who repeats his old errors.

What this all boils down to is a) we lose Murillo and Escobar for a couple of months next season; and b) guys like Tim Parker who plays CB for 1st place Vancouver might have a chance to be part of the nats; and c) hopefully we get a nat coach who is not a conceited know-it-all, someone like the current Germany coach Joachim Low.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
When thinking about USSF I'm reminded what the late great Bobby Heenan said when asked what he would've done if he were in charge of WCW: "I'd get everyone in a room and roll in a hand grenade."
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

It's not Klinsmann's (or Arena's) job to coach up 17yos or 12 yos or 8 yos, or even current players. The job description isn't to train and improve established professionals in basic skills/passing/movement/defending in one- or two-week camps. Klinsmann wasn't a great tactician or a man motivator or a roster selector, and you can blame him for all that, but to claim that the lack of US talent is entirely on him seems misguided. Failure to qualify for the Olympics was indeed indicative but not of Klinsmann's failure.

He wasn't just the USMNT coach, he was Technical Director of the Federation, which does make him responsible player development.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Somehow need to infuse 18-22 year olds into our team and build from there.  No more old fat cats who don't care...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users