What would it take for Red Bull to sell?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

So you think MLS would be fine with frequent 5k crowds at Red Bull Arena, if it got to that point?

What other club in the league is adding tarps to their stadium?

If our level of spending and some attendance concerns were enough to get MLS involved, half of the league would be in the same boat. Its going to have to get a whole lot worse than this for MLS to actively push Red Bull out.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

No. That is utterly ridiculous. You suffer from cognitive distortion if you think our club is anywhere near territory of the league stepping in or in a comparable situation to Chivas. 

While not near that point yet, It is absolutely headed in that direction at a fairly rapid clip

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

While not near that point yet, It is absolutely headed in that direction at a fairly rapid clip

There are at least eight teams with worse attendance, whether those teams are putting up tarps or night. They have made the playoffs for 10 straight years. They have won three Shields in the past seven seasons. They have gone to a US Open Cup Final in the past three years. They have been a semi-finalist in the CONCACAF Champions League. Red Bull has invested in some of the country's best facilities. RBNY is running one of the country's best academies. This does not seem to be remotely a 'Chivas USA' situation.

Yes, they are playing moneyball...and arguably having decent success with it.  Yes, they haven't won a Cup, MLS or US Open. Yes, RB Global is looking at us as a feeder/development club. Yes, it's extremely frustrating. Yes, fans are starting to speak with their wallets and stay away.  However, there is no way that Red Bull is selling unless RED BULL wants to sell.  There is no way the league is going to intervene.  They would need to intervene in at least 10 other franchises!

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Exactly... Leagues tend to never intervene when it comes to forcing a sale.  Things have to be grossly bad and they aren't here.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

So you think MLS would be fine with frequent 5k crowds at Red Bull Arena, if it got to that point?

The tarps suck but we never came close to only 5k a game.

Problem is 15k in a 25k stadium with tarps on sections just isn't a good look. I thought the crowds looked better without the tarps even if they were spread out. The tarps put an emphasis on noticing how many people aren't there.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I dont know what they were thinking building a 25k seater. First season was great but I remember thinking at the time this probably wont last.

They should have built ~20k with room for expansion.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

We dont get 5k crowds, nor will we. Our attendance is nothing to be proud of, but that is a gross exaggeration and one founded in pessimism and frustration. I certainly dont blame you for the pessimism and frustration, I feel the same, but we also need to stay grounded in reality. Take a look at some of the situations around the league. We are far from being on the chopping block, if MLS were to step in on any clubs.

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Supports:metro

We dont get 5k crowds, nor will we. Our attendance is nothing to be proud of, but that is a gross exaggeration and one founded in pessimism and frustration. I certainly dont blame you for the pessimism and frustration, I feel the same, but we also need to stay grounded in reality. Take a look at some of the situations around the league. We are far from being on the chopping block, if MLS were to step in on any clubs.

We might not be on the chopping block but RB isn't doing anything to encourage this fan base.  Just the opposite really.

And Olsen didn't turn DC into a bunch of whining, diving.. oh, nevermind

-MetroSquard

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Price is set at $500M as recent as last year, according to a super reliable source.

interesting.  does that include the stadium?

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Brian.MLS, on 21 Oct 2019 - 06:27, said:snapback.png

Price is set at $500M as recent as last year, according to a super reliable source.

interesting.  does that include the stadium?

Unless your reliable source is an investment bank or M&A advisor, I'm not sure how super reliable the information is.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Unless your reliable source is an investment bank or M&A advisor, I'm not sure how super reliable the information is.

How about a prospective buyer?
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

I don't see Red Bull pulling out unless and until the bottom falls out of the energy drink market.

To some extent, how well or poorly RBNY does matters very little to the people in Austria.  Any financial losses that RBNY sustain are MLS-level losses, meaning they are a grain of sand on the beach that is Red Bull's global profits.  And although I'm sure the Austrians would prefer packed stands and MLS Cup championships, even a half filled stadium and a mid-table team provides some marketing benefit and the occasional Tyler Adams and Jesse Marsch to bolster Leipzig and Salzburg.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Any financial losses that RBNY sustain are MLS-level losses, meaning they are a grain of sand on the beach that is Red Bull's global profits.

RBRacing investment is at least $100 Million annually,
probably closer to $150M. Toro Rosso probably $50M.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

How about a prospective buyer?

If your reliable source is a prospective buyer, and he/she has relayed to you that the price tag is $500 million, I guess your prospective buyer is either unwilling or unable to pay $500 MM.  

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

If your reliable source is a prospective buyer, and he/she has relayed to you that the price tag is $500 million, I guess your prospective buyer is either unwilling or unable to pay $500 MM.  

or waiting for another post season flame out to reduce the price - ouch

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users