149 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I agree. There's nothing worse than having a guy running the team with a "superfan" mentality. ...

mike-petke-red-bulls.jpg.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

I agree. There's nothing worse than having a guy running the team with a "superfan" mentality. ...

mike-petke-red-bulls.jpg.

Sigh. Okay 'Scouse. You win. I deserved that. Should've made my previous statement a little more clearer, or simply not at all. Anyway, THIS was the type of "superfan" I was referring to...

james-dolan-ngngsports.com_.jpg

Mike is just the coach. Other than the owner, he clearly doesn't have the power to literally fuck a franchise for all eternity with bad signings and such.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

-DELETED-

-DELETED-

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York

I agree. There's nothing worse than having a guy running the team with a "superfan" mentality. Looks and sounds good for TV and whatnot, but up close it's a disaster waiting to happen. At this stage of the game we need someone that will trust the philosophy that was started, and have the patience and the insight to see it through. It's the only way we are EVER going to stay relevant in the NYC Metro area. It's already proven we cannot win on expensive DP's alone.

Hi HK...

Once the "new" guy is in place I hope we can hear a clearly articulated presentation about team direction individually or from some combination of Houllier/ new GM / Petke (again this is for the cooks Marc)...

We've heard limited snippets about low cost DPs / getting younger / the fans having to accept a transitory phase and rumors about everything from a club sale to flagging drink sales necessitating pulling back on the money.  Still remember Rox doing the Johnny Football finger roll when asked about Ronaldinho for $4 mill...at the time I thought he was just BSing with a fan but have since wondered if he wasn't giving a very honest and straight forward response to the question.

Part of being a more mature club includes letting the fanbase know about plans and philosophy...I want to know the guy and know what in the hell he intends to do...I like our current players but there are big player decisions to me made...

I'm wondering if the entire scenario is still in flux...maybe decisions on budgets and direction have yet to be finalized...I was trying to sell Rox on Ronaldinho as the low cost DP option with Seattle and NYCFC having raised the bar...maybe we're now in the $1 mill DP universe...the season will be on us in no time...hire the guy and let us know...

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

Apparently we tried to hire Onalfo but couldn't come to an agreement with him. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Hi HK...

Once the "new" guy is in place I hope we can hear a clearly articulated presentation about team direction individually or from some combination of Houllier/ new GM / Petke (again this is for the cooks Marc)...

We've heard limited snippets about low cost DPs / the fans having to accept a transitory phase and rumors about everything from a club sale to flagging drink sales necessitating pulling back on the money.  Still remember Rox doing the Johnny Football finger roll when asked about Ronaldinho for $4 mill...at the time I thought he was just BSing with a fan but have since wondered if he was giving a very honest and straight forward response to the question.

Part of being a more mature club includes letting the fanbase know about plans and philosophy...I want to know the guy and know what in the hell he intends to do...I like our current players but there are big player decisions to me made...

I'm wondering if the entire scenario is still in flux...maybe final decisions on budgets and direction are yet to be fully made...I was trying to sell Rox on Ronaldinho as the low cost DP option with Seattle and NYCFC raising the bar...maybe we're now in the $1 mill DP universe...the season will be on us in no time...hire the guy and let us know...

I think expecting them to say anything more than they already have (we want to build with a heavier balance of youth, and maybe not needing to spend as much on DP's as we have previously) is just silly.  It serves no purpose.  They will never reveal their DP budget, or even if they have one, because it screws with negotiations and limits your ability to be flexible and take advantage of opportunities that may come up.    You certainly can't expect them to address rumors any more than they have ("we are committed to MLS for the long term").

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

-DELETED-

-DELETED-

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York

I think expecting them to say anything more than they already have (we want to build with a heavier balance of youth, and maybe not needing to spend as much on DP's as we have previously) is just silly.  It serves no purpose.  They will never reveal their DP budget, or even if they have one, because it screws with negotiations and limits your ability to be flexible and take advantage of opportunities that may come up.    You certainly can't expect them to address rumors any more than they have ("we are committed to MLS for the long term").

It is relative...

But I want to hear...

If we have DP targets...at what positions...are we looking at winter or more likely summer...how are we seeing our talent in the back/midfield/up front...

Are we committed to a style of play...is the passing possession style leaving with Henry...are we moving to a more physical long ball get the ball into and out of the box style...or some other style...

Indeed some clubs won't say the first word on some of this stuff...Phil Jackson on the other hand goes on TV with Spike Lee to explain his club's playing philosophy in great detail...

In the very least I want to hear more than we've heard so far...  

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Apparently we tried to hire Onalfo but couldn't come to an agreement with him. 

Thank fuck.

Failed at Kansas City where he had a decent bit of power in terms of choosing the roster.

Failed at DC and couldn't last more than half a season there.

Now just riding on Bruce's coattails in LA. 

In the NFL once a coach fucks up 2 jobs, they rarely ever get a shot at a third. Why in MLS do we continue to seek out retreads and possible even give them more power? 

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Thank fuck.

Failed at Kansas City where he had a decent bit of power in terms of choosing the roster.

Failed at DC and couldn't last more than half a season there.

Now just riding on Bruce's coattails in LA. 

In the NFL once a coach fucks up 2 jobs, they rarely ever get a shot at a third. Why in MLS do we continue to seek out retreads and possible even give them more power? 

Thank God!!!!!!!!! 

That guys sucks.  Who in the world would ever even consider hiring him int that capacity?  

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

Thank God!!!!!!!!! 

That guys sucks.  Who in the world would ever even consider hiring him int that capacity?  

You really need to ask? 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

It is relative...

But I want to hear...

If we have DP targets...at what positions...are we looking at winter or more likely summer...how are we seeing our talent in the back/midfield/up front...

Are we committed to a style of play...is the passing possession style leaving with Henry...are we moving to a more physical long ball get the ball into and out of the box style...or some other style...

Indeed some clubs won't say the first word on some of this stuff...Phil Jackson on the other hand goes on TV with Spike Lee to explain his club's playing philosophy in great detail...

In the very least I want to hear more than we've heard so far...  

Why do you need to ask this stuff?  we all know the answers

A) The elusive CAM, or whatever position another really cool guy we can afford happens to play

B) We are committed to attractive, attacking soccer, with a strong, disciplined defense

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

Why do you need to ask this stuff?  we all know the answers

A) The elusive CAM, or whatever position another really cool guy we can afford happens to play

B) We are committed to attractive, attacking soccer, with a strong, disciplined defense

Do we though?

Half of us think we're playing a 4-4-2 next year. Nobody knows anything. It's always a crapshoot going into every year.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Do we though?

Half of us think we're playing a 4-4-2 next year. Nobody knows anything. It's always a crapshoot going into every year.

this is actually a big problem. the team should be playing the same formation from the first team to youth academy.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

this is actually a big problem. the team should be playing the same formation from the first team to youth academy.

I disagree. I think you pick the formation that suits the personnel you have. We've seen how it works when you have a coach married to a particular formation.

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

I disagree. I think you pick the formation that suits the personnel you have. We've seen how it works when you have a coach married to a particular formation.

Disagree again. You can be married to a particular formation if you have competent and consistent management which provides you with the pieces to so. In game adjustments are fine when you want to attack or defend more, but a cohesive and top-down formation is best.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

nlk10010

nlk10010

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Disagree again. You can be married to a particular formation if you have competent and consistent management which provides you with the pieces to so. In game adjustments are fine when you want to attack or defend more, but a cohesive and top-down formation is best.

There doesn't have to be inconsistency between the two positions:  You can play the same formation throughout the organization and pick the formation that best fits your personnel if, to the greatest extent possible, management picks players that fit that predetermined formation.

Of course you need competent management. :)

"The company loves its money.

If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users