27 replies to this topic

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

So yeah, I am just going to state the obvious here, but i find this "tribute" to be pretty fucking hollow.

First, that banner has nothing Metro on it at all. No name, no logo, just a reference to the old home colors and that is it. If they truly were honest about "honoring" the Metrostars why is the old logo or at least the name of the team visible? It's like Henry's captain armband..it shows the old colors but literally nothing beyond that.

Second, in "honoring" Metro (or at least the old colors of metro) they can't even do it without making it painfully clear that Red Bull itself is involved as well. They hoisted a full on Red Bull banner with it. As if the fan base isn't already painfully aware they are the current owners of this franchise. In "honoring" Metro, they choose to also "honor" Red Bull and make it clear who this team IS, deflating a celebration on who they were and that history. Stealing the thunder so to speak.

RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

Metro Red

Metro Red

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Liverpool
Oh good, onionsac is here

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

So yeah, I am just going to state the obvious here, but i find this "tribute" to be pretty fucking hollow.

First, that banner has nothing Metro on it at all. No name, no logo, just a reference to the old home colors and that is it. If they truly were honest about "honoring" the Metrostars why is the old logo or at least the name of the team visible? It's like Henry's captain armband..it shows the old colors but literally nothing beyond that.

Second, in "honoring" Metro (or at least the old colors of metro) they can't even do it without making it painfully clear that Red Bull itself is involved as well. They hoisted a full on Red Bull banner with it. As if the fan base isn't already painfully aware they are the current owners of this franchise. In "honoring" Metro, they choose to also "honor" Red Bull and make it clear who this team IS, deflating a celebration on who they were and that history. Stealing the thunder so to speak.

someone in another thread said it best. honor the past, but live in the present.  simple, yet powerful words. 

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

By honor the past*, we apparently mean token gestures and allusions to the past without ever specifically recognizing and embracing the past...while honoring the present, and by present i mean multiple red bull logos and references that overshadow the attempts and honoring the past*. * see explanation of past.

beefyT

beefyT

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Supports:Taco Tuesday

Oh good, onionsac is here

even in jest, this is probably the first time anyone's ever said that 

Jeremy Thunder

Jeremy Thunder

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I still think it's pretty astounding how sharp a turn it was for you. One day crying because people wouldn't suck Angel's dick after he left, to suddenly finding fault with every single thing the club, fans, and players do no matter how innocuous. 

__    __   ______Spirit_of_96 __ __     _____    
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   
                   Red Bull Out                                 

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I still think it's pretty astounding how sharp a turn it was for you. One day crying because people wouldn't suck Angel's dick after he left, to suddenly finding fault with every single thing the club, fans, and players do no matter how innocuous. 

don't forget the Herzog obsession as well.  last i heard he's available.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

to be fair, his films are always entertaining even if they are train wrecks.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

Joe x Joe

Joe x Joe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

And Kassel and Hot. 2 Gems.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

That doesn't sound like an example of a contrast to me. Complaining about and faulting certain fans for treating JPA like a used condom wrapper once Henry signed and failing to properly support and honor what was and still is the teams all time best and classiest player and finding fault with fans now sounds more similar than different. But i get the point you are trying to make.

I know it seems like a shot to you personally, actually no, i don't know why you would feel that way. I am just accepting it at face value that is probably how you feel regardless of the merits and justification for your feeling. Fact is that many of you have been desperate for any sort of acknowledgment to the last for so long, you are willing to embrace a very token gesture as some monumental proof that the Red Bull really does care about the past; or that MdG is really a guy that "gets it".

While I agree is something that is in the right direction I can't help but see the FAIL in the entire thing. If this franchise truly wanted to acknowledge and respect the former team, they would not have to be so veiled in their attempts to provide the link. Why didn't they include the former logo or the team name in the banner? Is it because it is too direct a reference to the brand they killed off in 2006? What kind of half-hearted tribute is it when you can't even publicly show the old team name and logo? The banner (and it is nice and all) simply has the old colors on it and does not actually state what it references. Old timers will get it, but did anyone there who started coming these last few years get the reference? 

That isn't even the worst part about the "tribute". Red Bull can't seem to do anything positive towards the Metro legacy without also making sure they are front and center and predominantly displayed. Why was the Red Bull banner (complete with name and logo) even needed in this whole thing? Why can't the people that wanted to have some public recognition of the past and the non-corporate branded team get to enjoy it? It is a reminder (as if it wasn't already obvious) that Red Bull are the team, they are the brand..and that Metro-ish related banner is not.

The only acceptable solution is for Red Bull to leave, sell the team and rebrand. Either back to Metro or something less offensive and transparent. Stop enabling these assholes by patting them on the back for what amounts to pacification. 

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

And Kassel and Hot. 2 Gems.

Considering Red Bull have never made any real use of their academy in the first team, and now wont even field a USL team to help them further develop...the criticism about their commitment remains, as ever, true. 

cryforburke

cryforburke

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I'm struggling to know why we should care that YOU, specifically, don't like the banner?  You aren't a fan of this team anymore.  It's not for you. 

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

I'm struggling to know why we should care that YOU, specifically, don't like the banner?  You aren't a fan of this team anymore.  It's not for you. 

I just assumed if you supported this team you would care very much about the issue. Apparently not, you just don't like it being pointed out by yours truly.

Henry_Krinkle

Henry_Krinkle

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Nothing's happening over at the Cosmos message boards, huh? Thought so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users