• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
We have no next level skill on offense. Not only is that the case, we have total disasters who actually hurt us out there. Manoel, Barlow, and even Burke at this point. 3 of your 4 strikers can't be garbage. And even Vanzeir looks ordinary.

Morgan being hurt again stinks...

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Wow

Fire everyone. The FO got it sooooo wrong in the off-season

It is the result of 5 years of under investment and a believing that you can always find a coach who can perpetually squeeze results from low quality players. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Its not like they don't spend on strikers. They've spent quite a bit over the last five years. They just all range from awful to OK... Burke and Manoel have been total busts in the goal scoring department so far. Jury is still out on Vanzeir since he hasn't actually played much.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

We have no next level skill on offense. Not only is that the case, we have total disasters who actually hurt us out there. Manoel, Barlow, and even Burke at this point. 3 of your 4 strikers can't be garbage. And even Vanzeir looks ordinary.

Morgan being hurt again stinks...

Schneider (spelling?) knew the club needed offense. Manoel and Burke were swings and misses. Vanzeir came in out of fitness, was just rounding into shape when he earned his suspension, and basically set himself back another 6-8 weeks. Now this season is half over its a wasted year for Vanzeir.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Schneider (spelling?) knew the club needed offense. Manoel and Burke were swings and misses. .

Great. So were Rob Deer over here

Fan-freaking-fantastic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

It was obvious from last year that Manoel is not a striker. I don't know why they decided to bring him back to play that position.

Burke would be perfectly fine in his Philly role. Spot starter, off the bench to disrupt.

Sign someone and hope they can play well off Vanzeir. Send Manoel back to Brazil and Barlow to... Israel. Maybe we can discover a secret Jewish ancestor and give Klimala a strike partner.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
It seems that Vanzier isnt a true #9. I think I would prefer an actual #9 and play VanzierLuq-Morgan behind that. That would leave Omir/Harper/Wiki/Ngoma as back up. In theory, not bad. In practice, not sure weve had three of those seven available at any one given time.

But yes, going back to the OP - it would be nice to have a next level star.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

In practice, not sure weve had three of those seven available at any one given time.

We did not - 0 minutes together this year. That's the hope, that it somehow clicks, with Morgan and Luquinhas running at the defense and Vanzeir there to pick up the loose change.

If Morgan is not injured again, that is.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Its not like they don't spend on strikers. They've spent quite a bit over the last five years. They just all range from awful to OK... Burke and Manoel have been total busts in the goal scoring department so far. Jury is still out on Vanzeir since he hasn't actually played much.

We have been among the lowest spending teams by payroll for most of the last decade.  Transfer spending matters less than payroll in MLS and every league in the world.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Thought better if Burke but rough year
Manoel was swung and miss
Not sure if they can count on Morgan getting and staying healthy
Vanzier has quality but not impressing

They need someone else I think

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

STILL STRUBER'S FAULT!!!

/sarcasm

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

It was obvious from last year that Manoel is not a striker. I don't know why they decided to bring him back to play that position.

I am really surprised they never tried Manoel in this advanced winger role barlow plays.  he is very much a long term prospect at the 9 but easily our most goal dangerous striker.  Without Morgan and Vanzeir on the pitch the best shooter is CCJ? yuck.  

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

I am really surprised they never tried Manoel in this advanced winger role barlow plays.  he is very much a long term prospect at the 9 but easily our most goal dangerous striker.  Without Morgan and Vanzeir on the pitch the best shooter is CCJ? yuck.  

Seriously guy is fast and cant shoot put him at winger

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
I would have put money on Manoel spending most of his time at winger or attacking mid this year, and am still as confused as you guys as to why he isn't. Especially when minutes are being handed to Barlow at that spot instead.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
I don't see a player with vision or passing ability in Manoel. If he doesn't work at striker, he's not going to work.

I'm legit surprised at Burke. I live in an area that shows Philly a lot and I've seen the guy play plenty. He wasn't always the most natural finisher but he showed more than this. This year he's been blowing nearly every opportunity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users