Ode #2

With hallowed whispers, and silent prayers

We seek a steward to guard our lair.  

"Who, oh who, will be our champion?"

Asks wretched, ragged, ruined fandom.

Always running, brave to core,

The man we have wears seventy-four.

Elite? Maybe not. But here he stands,

to force 3 points, to protect our lands.

Tom, oh Tom, the time is now

To fuck n.y.c., like a bloated cow.

Friends - Saturday, pray your hope rise,

As like the phoenix, Starlow shall fly!    

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Side note - after the Philly game, Barlow hung out meeting all the fans, when everyone else went in... I desperately want Barlow to succeed, for him and for the team. 

I'm sure he's a nice guy who does his best, hustles a lot, but it just isn't good enough at this level of soccer. I certainly sympathize, I've been in that role at a much lower level!

But if you're actually still hopeful that he'll turn it around at age 27 (other than just wanting it to happen), you may be on a bandwagon of one here... I do love the odes, though. 😄

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Lol oh God, I would consider the biggest optimists on these boards to be you Iced, Mcsoccer, and Ivo and this season Ive seen little optimism from any of you. I just want to start winning games again and this team to score more than one goal a game again.

Trusting in the predictive power of xG, currently in a bitter fight with our players' subpar finishing ability. Reversal to the mean along with a new coach psychological boost bound to get us to the playoffs. (Do not take it to the bank.)

jjtbone

jjtbone

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Supports:RBNY Player Hatah!

Am I being punk'd on this?  I have nothing against Barlow as a person and I do believe he tries his best.  But let's be honest, he is no where near good enough to play in MLS and should not be on the field.  The fact that we have no other options is clearly not Barlow's fault.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Am I being punk'd on this?  I have nothing against Barlow as a person and I do believe he tries his best.  But let's be honest, he is no where near good enough to play in MLS and should not be on the field.  The fact that we have no other options is clearly not Barlow's fault.

Not punked. We need a win. Its NYC. Its home. We are last place. Our attacking core (Luqs, Morgan, Vanzier) are not available. There's a new coach in town - who seems to have a plan for a more dynamic offense. After a month of freefall, there are some slight positive vibes I think we are all feeling. 

We win against NYCFC, and win against Toronto and Montreal (two winnable games) and we could rocket up to like 6th, right as our attacking core returns.    

We need Barlow to play the game of his life against NYCFC. Maybe Lesesne throws some wrinkles in there, and we get lucky, and we win. Barlow is going to have to play "beyond the boundary". He has to become Starlow, at least for one game.   

To get the current vibe from a portion of the fan base regarding Barlow, on Seeing Red, they said RB fans boo'd Barlow after the Open cup win vs. DC. What the hell is that? Maybe I am hyperbolically going in other direction, but I'd rather root for our guys, than wish their failure as it seems some people want (not at all saying you, to be clear). 

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Not punked. We need a win. Its NYC. Its home. We are last place. Our attacking core (Luqs, Morgan, Vanzier) are not available. There's a new coach in town - who seems to have a plan for a more dynamic offense. After a month of freefall, there are some slight positive vibes I think we are all feeling. 

We win against NYCFC, and win against Toronto and Montreal (two winnable games) and we could rocket up to like 6th, right as our attacking core returns.    

We need Barlow to play the game of his life against NYCFC. Maybe Lesesne throws some wrinkles in there, and we get lucky, and we win. Barlow is going to have to play "beyond the boundary". He has to become Starlow, at least for one game.   

To get the current vibe from a portion of the fan base regarding Barlow, on Seeing Red, they said RB fans boo'd Barlow after the Open cup win vs. DC. What the hell is that? Maybe I am hyperbolically going in other direction, but I'd rather root for our guys, than wish their failure as it seems some people want (not at all saying you, to be clear). 

Im all for supporting the boys but a boo is not wishing for their failure. Its a message that they are not playing good enough and the fans only get to that by booing. Now, why they would do it after the open cup game is a bit of a head scratcher as I believe he had a decent game and he had a great pass for an assist. I hope Troy saw that Barlow can be used in other ways which will be beneficial for us moving forward.

LONG LIVE METRO

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Yeah heard that as well on seeing red
Thats crap to boo the guy after he gets an assist - his first ! (in 100+ games)

Some people need something to complain about

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Roofles

Roofles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:belligerent love that Red Bulls fans threw his way, in that particularly entitled, disrespectful, yet somehow fiercely loyal manner New York sports fans specialize in.

Is Barlow the new Sean Davis? Or Muyl? Or Veron?

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I wasn't at the game but that's the first I saw anything about him being booed.

I don't like seeing him on the field at all but I'd never boo the guy, especially after he did have a great assist. It's not his fault our front office won't get better players.

jjtbone

jjtbone

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Supports:RBNY Player Hatah!

I want the team to win, but with Barlow he has had many, many, many chances to show another side of himself as a player.  It just is not there and I am not sure why they continue to play him.  I would love the team to go on a run, it is so spirit crushing going into games with the idea that there is virtually no way that they can win or even score goals.  However, this feels a bit like wishful thinking, no matter how well intentioned.  

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Is Barlow the new Sean Davis? Or Muyl? Or Veron?

He is closest to Muyl, who also got a lot of unwarranted hate from the worst parts of the fan base despite always giving it all for the team. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

betoAYAK

betoAYAK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,385 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Colombia & Millonarios

He is closest to Muyl, who also got a lot of unwarranted hate from the worst parts of the fan base despite always giving it all for the team. 

This is parody, right?

(NittanyMetros @ Mar 17 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems Philly fans have signed up on metrofanatic to vote for themselves (in 'What team do you hate more?') . No real fan of this team would vote anything other than DC.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Wish there was a "LMAO" reaction instead of "like"

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

No longer on the list of players without an assist, Barlow is now on the list of most minutes per assist:

http://www.metrofana...sts.jsp?TYPE=97

He is 9th, behind four goalkeepers and four defenders.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

I would give it my all for the team too. However, I would fully expect to be booed by the fans since, much like Barlow, it would be clear to everyone that I should not be playing in MLS. I would also probably completely whiff on taking shots, shoot directly at the keeper and have no clue where to be off the ball, also similar to Tom Barlow.

He's a likeable guy that runs a lot, but if Mathias Jorgensen wasn't recently part of this organization, he would be up there with the worst strikers in club history.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users