1903 replies to this topic

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

You guys should mute the Toronto hate in light of the recent tragedy up there.

I hate TFC. I think the city of Toronto is wonderful. I don't think there's a soul on this board who is at all intending to be disrespectful about the tragedy that occurred. 

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Not all was lost. We won the CONCACAF Champion's League Fair Play Award! 

Which is more than TFC won in this tournament.

And, while it's much easier for a Canadian team to qualify for CCL, it's not a given that they will even be in the 2019 tournament.  They only have one path to qualification.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Which is more than TFC won in this tournament.

And, while it's much easier for a Canadian team to qualify for CCL, it's not a given that they will even be in the 2019 tournament.  They only have one path to qualification.

While true, the two-leg domestic cup format is way more forgiving.  Toronto's got a near automatic berth in the final because they play either an amateur/semi-pro provinicial team or Ottawa in the semifinal and...have you seen Vancouver and Montreal?

I'd give them like, an 80% chance of qualifying.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

While true, the two-leg domestic cup format is way more forgiving.  Toronto's got a near automatic berth in the final because they play either an amateur/semi-pro provinicial team or Ottawa in the semifinal and...have you seen Vancouver and Montreal?

I'd give them like, an 80% chance of qualifying.

that's low-balling it, too. ever since TFC started dropping $$$ on players, they've run away with the Canadian Championship. And with Vancouver and Montreal being more frugal, they don't have the roster to win it, imo. it'll be 5 yrs before they can actually have a proper quarterfinal bracket, only 4 pro teams with the semi-pro Ontario and Quebec provincial champs (Div3).

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

John Flushing

John Flushing

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Interests:www.metrofanatic.com
  • Supports:My Own Self Interests.

Major League Soccer is under a curse and I will never be happy until this curse is broken.

"What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

that's low-balling it, too. ever since TFC started dropping $$$ on players, they've run away with the Canadian Championship. And with Vancouver and Montreal being more frugal, they don't have the roster to win it, imo. it'll be 5 yrs before they can actually have a proper quarterfinal bracket, only 4 pro teams with the semi-pro Ontario and Quebec provincial champs (Div3).

All 3 MLS teams start in the semifinal - this year its TFC vs the lower brackets and Vancouver vs. Montreal.  So it's only one 2-legged final that either Montreal or Vancouver would have to win.  Daunting but possible, Montreal knocked them off in the first year with Giovinco etc. only to lose to Vancouver in the final.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Doubtful that TFC loses the CanChamp. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

Major League Soccer Metro is under a curse and I will never be happy until this curse is broken.

FYP...

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Perhaps this guy also yells puto on goal kicks:
https://nypost.com/2...dly-groped-her/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
There is another 2018 CL competition, which has reached the semi-final stage. The winner qualifies for the 2019 CL.
https://en.m.wikiped...CONCACAF_League

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
Kashima defeat Chivas 3-3 in their opening 2018 Club World Cup match, billed as.a quarter-final.
Winners now face Real Madrid.
https://www.elsoldem...rs-2805521.html

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Row Z PK miss by Mikey gives Chivas the title.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=cNgKvvP868k

Well, they did not do much with the championship.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=0jtznJ9FWQY

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Looks like we play away Wed Feb 20, and home Wed Feb 27. Both games 8pm ET kickoff.  

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Looks like we play away Wed Feb 20, and home Wed Feb 27. Both games 8pm ET kickoff.  

Both of these should be on Saturdays at 3pm, and broadcast on MSG if not on ESPN/FS1. Reschedule any of the league games for midweek.

If CONCACAF wants to get this competition more attention (and ultimately bigger profits for them) they need to stop burying the games on late weekday nights in the middle of winter. The games also need to be nationally broadcast as much as possible (no crappy YouTube feeds allowed) and be played on weekend days where fans can attend.

1,500 fans at a freezing RBA in February isnt going to grow this competition. CCL is always going to be this forgotten thing unless some changes are made. Year after year people just don't care about it except a fringe group of diehards that try to hype it up by comparing it to the UEFA one.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Of course the home game has to be the same day as the Devils game that's a mile and a half away. So damn annoying but I'll be there cause the Devils suck this year anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users