133 replies to this topic

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We need stars and if a stud CM came aboard I wouldn't exactly complain, but I think most of us would agree that the mega difference maker we need would be best suited as a winger or striker. 

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2
If it's this move plus a DP 9 we all love it.

The voices of discontent right now are just so burned from constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop and we get hat DP attacker and we win a cup they lash out at every move that isn't.

In isolation this is a solid move, a guy with possibly a good MLS upside, in a mold we have had success with filling a hole we have.

Issue is nothing is in isolation and we've seen the last year and a half now our best ST is a right winger and we have 2 grind work hard ST now and other teams have zlatan and pavon and that Mexican skc got etc...

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

We always had only one good CM, and average/below average second one, and shallow bench, since Dax was given away for nothing in return. Davis is a a decent guy, but ideally he is a good sub. We did have a good #1 in Adams before, now CCJ took that spot, but would really like to have another strong player of CCJ caliber at CM, with a quality sub like Davis. Hopefully this English fellow will be that. Still need a good player upfront though with a loss of Sims. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

We always had only one good CM, and average/below average second one, and shallow bench, since Dax was given away for nothing in return. Davis is a a decent guy, but ideally he is a good sub. We did have a good #1 in Adams before, now CCJ took that spot, but would really like to have another strong player of CCJ caliber at CM, with a quality sub like Davis. Hopefully this English fellow will be that. Still need a good player upfront though with a loss of Sims. 

nothing = $100,000 in allocation money, second round pick, open starting spot for Adams

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts

nothing = $100,000 in allocation money, second round pick, open starting spot for Adams

Not exactly. Dax was sold for 400K in allocation money, which might have been OK at the time... except immediately after, in-MLS allocation sales ballooned by a factor of 2. In fact, a year later they made a point to NOT settle for allocation money only when trading Kljestan... of course, we got garbage return there as well (but won the Shield).

As for opening the spot for Adams, it was always there for the taking. Nothing said Dax couldn't stay on in the role Davis assumed, or that we couldn't have used him when Adams played right back.

And where is Adams now? You can make the case that the right move was trading Adams and keeping Dax. (Probably not, because 2018 Shield.)

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Not exactly. Dax was sold for 400K in allocation money,

Ok, I thought I just read it was $50,000 in GAM and $50,000 in TAM, but I only looked quickly.

As for opening the spot for Adams, it was always there for the taking. Nothing said Dax couldn't stay on in the role Davis assumed, or that we couldn't have used him when Adams played right back.

And where is Adams now? You can make the case that the right move was trading Adams and keeping Dax. (Probably not, because 2018 Shield.)

Maybe Marsch felt Davis was also going to overtake Dax as a starter. Or he felt Adams and Dax were too similar, didnt compliment each other enough.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

agree need Sims replacement or someone now to develop and challenge Royer (would be thrilled for that to be Omir and realize there is still different games and development to do)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
This looks like a smart signing. Excited to see him play and glad the new jefe is getting rolling

RED. BULL. OUT.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,453 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

In fact, a year later they made a point to NOT settle for allocation money only when trading Kljestan... of course, we got garbage return there as well (but won the Shield).

Redding has to be up there on the list of biggest busts, right? I don't think anyone expected much from Rivas but Redding was coming off a U-20 tournament and had played well for Orlando, dude just immediately checked out mentally once he got here.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts

Redding has to be up there on the list of biggest busts, right? I don't think anyone expected much from Rivas but Redding was coming off a U-20 tournament and had played well for Orlando, dude just immediately checked out mentally once he got here.

Epic fail. Hasn't played anywhere since.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Redding is giving Hymen Moreno a run for biggest metro bust

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

You cant even wipe your ass with that funny money or a useless pick. We ended up with exactly zero talent which we wouldnt otherwise have anyway, while losing several years of top CM production. Hopefully the new guy will finally fill that void and move Davis to the bench, which would improve both quality of our starters and the depth.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,635 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

... when trading Kljestan... of course, we got garbage return there as well (but won the Shield).

I thought we got Tarek in the Sacha deal, and forgot we got him just for a ridiculously cheap 4th round draft pick.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I thought we got Tarek in the Sacha deal, and forgot we got him just for a ridiculously cheap 4th round draft pick.   

Yup, right after Cinci selected Ndam in the expansion draft, if memory serves. Seemed like their contingency plan.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
More extensive highlight of Yearwood that was put up recently, assuming hes still on his way over.

https://youtu.be/kusR4oH43IQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users