36 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,547 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Not being on the roster doesn't mean unsuccessful - Ream.

Trivia question unrelated to the comment.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,000 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia

Trivia question unrelated to the comment.

I couldn't think of it. Not Lade...

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Another unsuccessful SuperDraft.
Who is the only draftee of the RB era still on the first-team roster?

Ryan Meara

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

The Falcon

The Falcon

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Ryan Meara

Lade.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,000 posts

Lade.

Lade wasn't drafted I think. HG signing.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Zizzo is probably more versatile, Marsch has used as a fullback, center back, & midfielder this season.  And Lade is probably the closest thing we have to a Dax on our roster.  He's going to give you fight, Bilyeu probably can't.

Yeah, let's just say Marsch rates Zizzo way more highly than I do! And I really appreciate Lade's hustle and heart, but that takes you only so far. Skills/physical limitations put a hard ceiling on him, and at 27 he is what he is, a decent utility/depth player with a large heart.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Yeah, let's just say Marsch rates Zizzo way more highly than I do! And I really appreciate Lade's hustle and heart, but that takes you only so far. Skills/physical limitations put a hard ceiling on him, and at 27 he is what he is, a decent utility/depth player with a large heart.

Fair enough.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Lade.

Lade was a homegrown signing. He wasn't drafted. Meara was drafted in 2012.

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
Late yesterday, Lade made a pass in from the left wing that drew gasps from the crowd. Was like a diagonal through ball that found its target in the box. Never saw that from him before. Hope they keep Lade forever, he's got a little bit of that It, and improves bit by bit.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,000 posts

Late yesterday, Lade made a pass in from the left wing that drew gasps from the crowd. Was like a diagonal through ball that found its target in the box. Never saw that from him before. Hope they keep Lade forever, he's got a little bit of that It, and improves bit by bit.

He had a really nice cross to BWP from the right that went wide.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

As is almost always the case with Lade, he gives and he takes. He had a few awesome crosses, a few awful giveaways, and two of the weakest attempts at a "tackle" I've seen in a long time. But overall, awesome guy to have as a backup.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Don't think he's markedly worse than our other true backup options at LB (Lade and Zizzo?). Long is probably better but we need him at CB.

Bilyeu is younger and has higher upside and a low salary, so I don't really understand why we're getting rid of him a half season in, even he's sucked badly this year.

This is getting a little philosophical, but just because a player is young does it mean he has upside? Any time I watched Bilyeu he showed the one trait that kills almost any potential to make it at the next level - he played scared. You can refine ball skills and study tactics all day, but if you don't have the mentality to look at the guy across from you and be confident you'll win, none of it does much good.

And this is where the college vs. academy debate comes in, but Bilyeu is a 23 year old "young" player. If he was 18 and struggling to improve it'd be one thing, but how long do you wait around for a guy entering his mid-20's?

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
So does this mean that Baah is healthy and start playing the remaining of the season with the usl squad?

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

This is getting a little philosophical, but just because a player is young does it mean he has upside? Any time I watched Bilyeu he showed the one trait that kills almost any potential to make it at the next level - he played scared. You can refine ball skills and study tactics all day, but if you don't have the mentality to look at the guy across from you and be confident you'll win, none of it does much good.

And this is where the college vs. academy debate comes in, but Bilyeu is a 23 year old "young" player. If he was 18 and struggling to improve it'd be one thing, but how long do you wait around for a guy entering his mid-20's?

He's been a part of the first team for less than 6 months. I think you can give him a little more than that. Long's been pretty good as a rookie at 24. Davis is now 24 and played well at age 23 last year. Lade has had a relatively small but important part after starting around the same time as Bilyeu. I know those guys were good from the very beginning of their MLS careers, but you're allowed to start off shakily. As an extreme example, Spurs didn't win a game in the first ~20 games Gareth Bale started for them. That worked out okay.

I certainly don't think Bilyeu will eventually be Dani Alves or even Taxi, but he can be a decent, affordable MLS player - or at least, I don't think you can definitively say he won't be at this stage. Obviously the RB guys whose job it is to say that disagree. :)

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Scared or lack of desire, I think is maybe what did him in.  Looked like a decent passer, but he seemed to lose his man a lot.  Really wish the experiment with at CB had worked out, as he has the size and we could use a CB with some passing skills out of the back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users